Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well done, you nice Dublin people

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

kluivert wrote:
    Can no one see my point of view here.

We can see your point of view but basically we don't care as most of us are in the same boat. I can't afford a house in the area of Dublin I grew up in, lived in all my life and work in. So I have to move out to the arse end of nowhere. You are not unique, most ordinary working people are being screwed so just accept it. You are just crying about it now cos other people's problems are now on your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

JP Mulvano wrote:
    If you can't afford to pay market rates in the area of choice then don't F-ing buy a house!! Simple!!
    This man talks sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Take a chill pill Kluivert , the current housing bubble will burst so save some money and be ready to feed of the bottom of the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

kluivert wrote:
    Listen,

Renting is a service, but this service has a subsitute, thats buying a house, there's no sub for eating or drinking ok. You can get the bus or train or walk. What can you replace drinking and eating with, think.

Listen again.
    You can replace eating out with eating in. Drinking out with drinking in. There are always alternatives. It depends what reasons you want to buy your house for. If its for investment well how can you gripe. Would you give out to Wall Street if a popular share was high in price because of demand. If its for personal reasons (non-investment) well I would have some sympathy.

I know what your getting at with your first post but I think the tone of it and finger-pointing which annoyed some. If you think you have a gripe what about the people of Bulgaria, Turkey, Romania, etc where they see foreigners coming in, buying their property and driving prices up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

kluivert wrote:
    Listen,

I have made no comments about Dublin natives being scum etc and yet I have read about neanderthal culchies, the bog, ****-kickers, you sure know how to lower the tone.

Yeah what goes around comes around, yes it does...

well when you post neanderthal rants pointing the finger at a large section of the population for your own personal woes blissfully ignoring all other factors I would have thought the rebukes were mild :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ok I admit it was wrong to finger pointing. And I understand everyone is in the same boat. I really do. Am sorry if it upset any Dub natives who where forced to buy away from home.

Still no reason for the name calling, in all fairness.

The alternative to eating and drinking is not eating and drinking.

I want to buy a house not for investment, just somewhere I can settle down. Like everyone else here who has taken the hoff with me.

I got an e-mail for house prices in a new development in Louth just south of Dundalk, what do people think of these

8x 2 Bedroom apartments 82.5sqm (888sqft) €275,000

8x3 Bedroom apartments 88sqm (947sqft) €305,000

8x 3 Bedroom 3 Storey t/h 160sqm (1800sqft) €405,000 x 6 Mid-Terrace

€429,950 x 2 End-Terrace

6x 4Bedroom semi-detached 110sqm (1200sqft) €375,000 x 4

€395,000 x 2 (Corner Plot)

5x 4 Bedroom detached 145sqm (16000sqft) €475,000 x 3

€495,000 x 2 (Corner Plot)

Now it costs 75-100e per sq foot, even the 2 bed appt would cost in the region of 88k - 100k to build. Talk about profits hey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Kluivert they are decent enough prices. Compare those to Wicklow prices and you will see how good. Its the old question though....why do people feel there first property has to be, and they should be entitled to, at least a 3 bed house?

no worries Kluivert, think most people on here can understand your frustration as most have been or are in the same position. Don't think much of those prices you've quoted, not surprised as everything I've seen lately has just been stupid money.

To be honest I wouldn't buy anything at the moment, my brother wanted me to buy a new place with him but I couldn't justify an extra 200,000 for a place just like mine except 4 years newer but even poorer build quality!

I know I bought already so it's easy for me to say, but seriously if I hadn't at the time there's no way I would now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

kluivert wrote:
    "The interest you pay on your mortgage is dead money too."

This is the cost of capital. I understand what your saying, but this is the cost of investing, whereas renting is funding someone elses investment. Meaning the later will never earn a return from an investment point of view.

In both scenarios you're paying for someone elses investment. While renting you're paying someone for providing the service of a roof over your head. While with the mortgage you're paying the bank for the use of their money.

Initially, you pay the bank a lot more for their service than you do to a landlord for their service. When buying a property the gamble is that in 30 years time you will have an asset that will be worth more than the money you could have saved and invested in other mediums while renting.

garred wrote:
    Kluivert they are decent enough prices. Compare those to Wicklow prices and you will see how good. Its the old question though....why do people feel there first property has to be, and they should be entitled to, at least a 3 bed house?

What am getting annoyed with is that the same location same appts slighty bigger tho where 165000 for 1000 sq ft last summer. Would have been nice place to live.

See what am trying to get at is if you work if Dublin your getting paid a good proper wage, you can afford to buy a property anywhere you like. Although you guys would like to still live near home.

Whereas I dont have that option, where I do the same job as you and get paid considerably less than you. But if you dont want to work in Dublin what alternative have you got? I dont want to live in Dublin, I dont want to work in Dublin, but when I ask for a pay rise thats 10% short of Dublin wage levels, they answer well your not living in Dublin, granted but getting like it.

I work two jobs, min off 60 - 70 hrs per wk for the last three yrs, I work hard like.

Which is the lesser of two evils??

Listen am kinda sorry I started this trend, it seems that everyone is in the same boat at the moment, and its no happy days for anyone is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

kluivert wrote:
    I am an accoutant, theres plenty of jobs in Dublin for me, but I dont want to work in Dublin. There is a hell of people who do not want to go to work in Dublin ok. Get that straight in your head. Thats one of my points, I do not want to work in Dublin.

Well isn't that good for you?

I'm not and like alot of people I have no choice about having to live in Dublin.

The problem is f**king investors. Not ordinary folk who just want a roof over their f**king heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

quad_red wrote:
    Well isn't that good for you?

I'm not and like alot of people I have no choice about having to live in Dublin.

The problem is f**king investors. Not ordinary folk who just want a roof over their f**king heads.

No, the problem is speculators, the ones who don't care about renting property out, the ones who assume they will get rich on capital appreciation.

The amount of rubbish that has been posted in this thread is unreal. The OP has a point, buried deep though it may be. Commuting is bad for society. It has a negative impact on communities, and people have far fewer ties to where they live because they don't work there, and spend relatively little time there. It also causes dispersal from local family/friends support and is environmentally unsound.

The amount of "you priced us out" vs "you came up here and took all our houses" is just plain childish and it is that sort of stupidity has this country in the mess it is heading for. People aren't bright enough to think things out for themselves. "You'd have to be mad not to". "It's someone else's fault if.." It pervades the whole country and it is absolutely stupid.

But of course, the things which could actually sort out the mess are not being done, are they? Better planning in Dublin might have seen more suitable accommodation being built over the past five years, giving a better housing density and a better mix of accommodation units instead of what we got. Instead, you come on a board and start flinging bricks at each other and insulting each other. How many of you actually wondered why we're in this mess past "The bank won't give me enough money" or "All the fecking culchies are buying up our houses to rent them out".

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

kluivert wrote:
    See what am trying to get at is if you work if Dublin your getting paid a good proper wage, you can afford to buy a property anywhere you like.
    Most people cannot afford to buy a property anywhere they like. And just because people work in Dublin is no guarantee that they are getting a "good proper wage".

Most of your points seem to be based on ill-founded assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

The finger again is squarely pointed at our government.

they should be doing more to encourage local business and forgein business to relocate to areas outside of Dublin. There simply isn't enough space in the city.

you could build 50,000 affordable housing next year in dublinand the only thing you can be gauranteed is 100,000 people would try to move into them.

To the OP - seriously think things through it was obvious everyone was in the same boat.

kluivert wrote:
    What am getting annoyed with is that the same location same appts slighty bigger tho where 165000 for 1000 sq ft last summer. Would have been nice place to live.

See what am trying to get at is if you work if Dublin your getting paid a good proper wage, you can afford to buy a property anywhere you like. Although you guys would like to still live near home.

Whereas I dont have that option, where I do the same job as you and get paid considerably less than you.

I think what you're not getting is that though as you say people might get paid more in Dublin, house prices are also higher in Dublin so it's all relative, and yes everyone is in the same boat no matter where they live, you live where house prices are lower, your wage is lower and vice versa.

The assumption that if you work in Dublin you can afford a property anywhere is wrong. You've already pointed out why this is wrong in your complaint that people from Dublin are now moving into your area. Why if we can afford anywhere would we move there? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

kluivert wrote:
    Well done to all Dublin natives who have venture far afield to seek housing on commuter lines in the North East of our country.

This has pushed up house prices sky high in Louth and Monghan and local people can not afford to get onto the property ladder because of it.

</QUOTE>

Listen im sure the people of Budapest, Bulgaria,Portugal,Spain and all of these countries where irish people are buying investment properties are saying the exact same thing. Tis no harm to mix the gene pool up a little anyways especially in a place like monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

MrJones wrote:
    kluivert wrote:
    Well done to all Dublin natives who have venture far afield to seek housing on commuter lines in the North East of our country.

This has pushed up house prices sky high in Louth and Monghan and local people can not afford to get onto the property ladder because of it.

Listen im sure the people of Budapest, Bulgaria,Portugal,Spain and all of these countries where irish people are buying investment properties are saying the exact same thing. Tis no harm to mix the gene pool up a little anyways especially in a place like monaghan.

Ill founded assumptions they are not.

I earn 20k a yr. My friend from college works in practice in Dublin earning 32k, doing the same job and shes hasnt passed her exams yet.

And in general most accountants working in Dublin earn more and others situated elsewhere in the country.

Take the above example my friend could AFFORD to buy a house in Dundalk as where I cant. Actually she bought a house in Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

kluivert wrote:
    Ill founded assumptions they are not.

I earn 20k a yr. My friend from college works in practice in Dublin earning 32k, doing the same job and shes hasnt passed her exams yet.

And in general most accountants working in Dublin earn more and others situated elsewhere in the country.

Take the above example my friend could AFFORD to buy a house in Dundalk as where I cant. Actually she bought a house in Dublin last year.

We aren't all accountants you clown. I earn 24k per year. ALOT of people I know, who've gone to college etc, earn less than 30k.

That is NOTHING in Dublin.

And Calina, I stand corrected. Speculators - damn you! <shakes fist>

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

32K is not a big wage. If your friend managed to buy a place a dublin earning 32K, then fair play to your friend. But 32K is not enough to buy a house in most parts of Dublin. If you don't believe me, do a little research on Daft.ie.

Plus you are limiting your outlook by only concentrating on accountants' wages. I am going to make an assumption of my own now - I assume it is not just accountants who are buying houses in your area. Are you sure there is such a difference in wages for all other careers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

Same old ****e....it's ok for you lot to come work in Dublin and bugger off back home every weekend with a pocket load of money to spend locally....but when the Dubs buy a house in your community then you start bitching and moaning.......what a load of crap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

No, the problem is speculators, the ones who don't care about renting property out, the ones who assume they will get rich on capital appreciation.

Well said! I moved into a new housing estate near Gorey, Co Wexford in May 2005, I paid €170000 for it. In an estate of 160 houses, at least 40 have never been occupied and are now for sale, the going price is now nearer €300000. Sometimes 2 or 3 houses are owned by the same person, nice pickings.
    As regards renting, I think if they rent them they become liable for stamp duty, although not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kluivert , I thought accountants would be more savvy than blaming the jackeens taking your land!!

Seriously, rent, save the difference between what you pay renting and the rest are paying for the mortgages and in a couple of years when the whole Irish housing pyramid scheme comes crashing down, commuter counties like where you want to live will be the first and hardest to fall.
    You could get a really nice bargain if you hold out and think like a pro accountant and not with your heart only!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Take a chill pill Kluivert , the current housing bubble will burst so save some money and be ready to feed of the bottom of the market.

Classic:D :D ,

I have two people fighting over a house that cost €276,000 12 months ago and now its €389,000,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Warning:

Anyone interested in discussing the relative merits of property prices / Dublin property versus property in other locations- is free to do so here. Any more flaming or name calling and this thread gets locked and the perpetrators of flaming or name calling banned from this forum.
    Chill guys.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

BingoBongo wrote:
    Classic:D :D ,

I have two people fighting over a house that cost €276,000 12 months ago and now its €389,000,
    Wow! No wonder we're the 2nd richest people in the world! When we're number 1, I am going to buy a small country and burn it to the ground, just for kicks. I assume when we're number 1 we all get Ferraris...I'm not wrong with that assumption, am I?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thats it, thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement