Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New ECW - Patience?

• 01-08-2006 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Right, Im not starting this to have a bitchfest about new ECW, and in ways, this topic may have been covered in previous threads, but I would like to pose a question regarding ECW in its new state.

Have we, as fans, been too harsh on the new ECW, becasue it is called ECW? Or to put it another way, If this promotion had nothing to do with WWE, and was not called ECW, would it get more positive feedback?

Since ECW and WCW folded in 2000, wrestling has changed, and the new ECW reflects this change. Classic ECW had tits and ass as well in the form of Electra (yuck), Dawn Marie (the sexiest diva in wrestling history), Buelah and Francine. The new one has Kelly, and that hot Goth chick, so no real change there.

There were squash matches in classic ECW as well as now. New characters are being intriduced on an almost weekly basis which keeps it interesting. Big Show as champ is no different from Mike Awesome as being champ in Classic ECW. Both are limited in what they can do, but IMO, Show is better.

The return of Test is a positive also, as he brings experience to the locker room. The impending debuts of Punk and a return of Shannon Moore can only help also.

Biggest problem with this new promotion is what people expect it to be. People sem to have a romantic view of classic ECW as being a techniacl showground where the real stars got to shine. And while this may be true of some - RVD, Taz, Eddie, Scorpio, Corino, Lynn etc, it also had dross like New Jack (entertianing the first few thimes you see him), Axl Rotten, Hack Myers, Big Dick Dudley, Jack Victory, Tracey Smothers, Mike Awesome. People are complaining that there are too many WWE rejects involved now. Well, id reject is the word people want to use, then fine, but there were as many then as ever.

I did enjoy classic ECW, I have a fairly large collection of DVDs as well which i still watch, but new ECW is only flailing due to the stigma of its name.

If the new brand can start developing fueds and personalities, as well as building up the roster, there should not be any problems. It is developing at a handy pace so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Have to disagree completely here

WWECW (WWE's ECW) right now as it is, will never be on par with ECW - for one simple point - the fans. The fans right now do not care for the cleanliness of the product, the fact that McMahon is ever controlling and dominant and that the true genius of ECW, Paul Heyman has become nothing more then a distant voice trying to be heard in a crowded room.

Look at Joey Styles - he tried to call the matches like he did back in the day, back when he was THE wrestling commentator. But now, he must do a sanitised performance - he has to do exactly when he promo'd about on RAW, when he quit - he has to be WWE ideal of what commentating is - which is not ECW

If the product had no INTERFERENCE from McMahon, his writers, etc then maybe WWECW would have a chance - especially if left in the hands of Paul Heyman. That was really the problem Paul had back in the day - he need financial backing - if he had that, then ECW would have continued to this day.

There is no romantic view of ECW (IMO) simply because ECW gave us what we expected, technical wrestling, garbage wrestling, wrestling pure and simple - with no WWE-based bull**** storylines.

And the fans - the fans are who made ECW (as well as the wrestlers) - but this WWECW is not the same. The fans know the product is sterile, they know the limitations on what to expect.

If it were to succeed - it has nothing to do with the current roster, the current crop of hot chicks, etc - it has to do with who is in charge - and what while it is a McMahon and not Heyman, then I firmly believe ECW will not succeed in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You missed my point entirely. Point I was trying to make is that this new identity is being sullied by the fact that people expect it to be the same as the last one, when it never will, because thats not quite what they are going for.

The point I was trying to make was - if this new promotion wasn't so obviously a McMahon venture, and called somethjing other than ECW, would it be given a fairer crack of the whip?

Just to be clear, i am not particularly enjoying it either, but am willing to give it another few months before writing it off. All Im trying to do here is start a thread which isnt full of inane one line repsonses, like too many threads these days are going, and try promote decent discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

gimmick wrote:
    You missed my point entirely. Point I was trying to make is that this new identity is being sullied by the fact that people expect it to be the same as the last one, when it never will, because thats not quite what they are going for.

The point I was trying to make was - if this new promotion wasn't so obviously a McMahon venture, and called somethjing other than ECW, would it be given a fairer crack of the whip?

Just to be clear, i am not particularly enjoying it either, but am willing to give it another few months before writing it off. All Im trying to do here is start a thread which isnt full of inane one line repsonses, like too many threads these days are going, and try promote decent discussion

true I did miss your point :) but I wanted to rant

But in relation to your original point - its a yes. Yes it would be given a fairer crack if McMahon were not involved - re: my points above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Was just thinking that myself. The givin ECW time to develop thing, not any thing else really. I mean the first 4-5 weeks were crap but it has developed some of the guys. WWE said they want to take ECW to a worldwide level so they had to treat ppl like Sandman, Sabu, Balls etc as nobodies and get them out every week just showing the faces doing whatever. Also ppl like Mike Knox, TEST and Big show are doing well as Heels. The WWE rejects are there to have ppl watch in the first place but then you can have them watch they dont know and be impressed just like TNA. Saying it's ****e cause it's not the same is small minded imo. Big should really try to see the bigger picture and give ECW time to develop. I mean a match like Batista vs Big Show wouldn't interest a proper wrestler fan but regular fans would love it. Also ECW is back in the hammerstein ballroom tonight so it should be interesting to see. No thing the New ECW has lost i'm afaid to say though is the fan reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Hang on..... Dawn Marie?!?! hottest diva?!!?! she looks like a man!!! ill take torrie, stacey, Maria and Candice while you have her so:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Zip

what about kelly kelly:D now theres a hot girl for you!!!!!

Too much to ask that ye would reply with something resembling a thought? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If this ECW were not part of WWE, I think fans would enjoy it, but not as much as they'd have enjoyed the old ECW. There's been some good points about ECW - they've had most of the best main events of WWE's 3 shows recently for one. Big Show's more entertaining than he's been since he was feuding with Brock. I think this is down to Heyman having some say with him again. Big Show and Kane's match last week was a million (no exaggeration) times better than their ppv match a few months ago

There's been a good few crap points about it though. Loads of squash matches (although if they're just using them at the moment to get certain people over, I suppose it's not as bad). Even if it were some other promotion, squash matches would still be boring

I think the main problem is that we were promised so much, but got so little. It was said that this wouldn't be the same old ECW stuff, but it would be the same principles used for today. Heyman has said himself in interviews about how the new ECW would be bringing together all the best cruiserweights and they'd just let them go at it. That excited a lot of people, but it hasn't happened. It seems kind of like they're trying to please the old ECW fans by pushing Sabu and Sandman, but it's not really working. Sandman had the same repetitive segment for 4 or 5 weeks, and Sabu's getting dqed and squashing guys. Reading an interview with Heyman last week, he really seems desperate for this to survive and change. One thing he said that I thought was a bit stupid was that if the fans don't like the direction they're going in, they should go to the shows and voice their disapproval....but that's just lining WWE's pockets..I dunno

I have hope though. The initial period might have gone a certain way because of their possibly limited time on Sci-Fi in mind. It seems they've picked them up for the long-term now though, Sci-Fi has them listed in the tv listings for after their current contract (they might have announced it by now, I'm not sure). So ECW might be able to cut loose a little now with that weight off their shoulders. I'm looking forward to tonight's show a lot though..if only for Punk's debut! Hopefully it's not another squash.. Angle coming back could help the shows too

Might have strayed from the point a bit, but that's what I think

Spoiler for 01/08/06 edition of ECW, from the Hammerstein Ballroom
    Opener was great, a typical ECW esque fare of brutality. Crowd well into it also. Kelly is fabulous, and I loved the angle when Tommy had her over his knee. They are pushing Test as a big man. I think he could have a good run in ECW.

Anyone notice Vince in the background when Heyman was walking through the buffet area?

I loved Punks debut, though I hoped it would be facing Angle. I am just dissapointed they have made Credible a jobber. Hopefully once ECW gets going, he will go back to his old ways. The crowd certainly liked Punk. Interesting to see where he goes from here. His best work has been as a heel imo. Pity the match was so short though.

Angle Vs Brawler. Waste of time that could have been given to Punk Vs Credible. I wonder what they will do with Angle. He is obviously slowing down. Hopefully not another invitational squash crap like last year.

Show Vs Batista. LOL - "change the channel" and "you both suck" made me smile. Awful match, great heat, makes me wonder why this match was made, surely everyone must have known Batista Vs Show would not be accepted in ECW (or indeed anywhere). I like how they are teasing out Sabu going for the World Title. Nice run in at the end

Good show, certainly an improvement on recent weeks. Hopefully they will continue with the smaller arenas, and not doing same arena tapings with Smackdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

gimmick wrote:
    Show Vs Batista. LOL - "change the channel" and "you both suck" made me smile

lol, i loved the crowd for that match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

my only problem is the length of the show. it's too short.
    what do you see? three matches?
    that's not enough.
    there is plenty of talent on the roster and they're not getting the chance to shine because of time limitations.
    you basically have show, sabu, rvd and angle. the rest are just pushed to the back (except for sandman, who gets his own 2 minute slot).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Right now, I'd take every wrestling show being an hour long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

gimmick wrote:
    I loved Punks debut, though I hoped it would be facing Angle. I am just dissapointed they have made Credible a jobber. Hopefully once ECW gets going, he will go back to his old ways. The crowd certainly liked Punk. Interesting to see where he goes from here. His best work has been as a heel imo. Pity the match was so short though.

That's the only part of the show I've seen, and
    it was brilliant! I was gettin kinda worried that Punk might have been changed by WWE in some way over the last year, but he's definitely still got it! I'm really glad that Credible actually got a good bit of offence in on Punk though, it made for such a better match than when he fought Angle. That's got to be right up there with the best of WWE debuts, especially when you consider that in WWE terms, he's a nobody. Can't wait to see him turn heel eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I would go as far as to say that that was the best WWECW show so far. In the past few weeks we've seen some good main events but the rest of the show lacked excitement and entertainment.
    Yes the main event was terrible this week but the crowd were great and it really put a smile on face to see them giving Batista crap. I wonder what it was that that fan did to really piss of the big show during his entrance. Same sort of thing happened with Batista. I also wonder what was going through the mind, or minds, of the people that decided that Big Show Vs. Batista was the best idea for the main event. Idiots! They should have had Sabu Vs. Show non-title. That way Big Show would have had the crowd on his case therefore generating heat while they would cheer Sabu like crazy. The match, ending with with a DQ win for Sabu, would have also developed their angle further. I mean, there was really no reason for a Batista Show match, was there.

Very impressed with CM Punk. I know some of you are gonna kill me for this but... that was the first time I had properly seen one of his matches! Im glad his wasn't a squash match and that Credible got some offense in. Wrestlers always come across better IMO if they have a really good match.

But what was the best thing about this weeks show? The Dreamer Sandman tag match I hear you say? Oh no. No no no. The best thing about this weeks show was the fact that there was no Kelly's Expose!

Advertisement