Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

5.1 Speakers & Amp

• 01-08-2006 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So i've moved into a new apartment and bought my 40" LCD TV. Life is good - well apart from the sound that is!

I'm looking for a decent 5.1 system (by decent i mean €400-€500, is this realistic?) that I can wall mount. I'm presuming that i'll need an Amp to go with these too.

Now here comes the tricky part. The previous occupant of my apartment has already wired the place for a wall mounted 5.1 system and the wires are still there. So I figure rather than having to trail my system through the walls again it would be easier to get speakers that can use the existing connectors. They're nothing fancy just your standard black and red copper audio cables.

So is there a system out there in my rough price range where I can wire the individual speakers? Oh and i'd like the system to be able to use my TV and Xbox 360 too - demanding fellow amn't I?

I'm afraid i'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to sound - So has anyone got any recommendations?

On a side point, anyone got any experience of wall mounting an LCD screen on plasterboard? I've found the studs have the screws etc but i'm still nervous about doing the deed :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi Ken,

A good site is www.richersounds.ie
    They are based in Belfast and (from what a lot of ppl say here) they know their stuff.

I'm sure if you give them a call or mail and explain you situation and most importantly your budget ;) they will give you the options available.

Can't really think of anyone else at the mo'

For mounting the LCD check out the Gardening/DIY forum I think I saw a few threads there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Good Luck

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Easca

kencleary wrote:
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a decent 5.1 system (by decent i mean €400-€500, is this realistic?) that I can wall mount. I'm presuming that i'll need an Amp to go with these too.
    Yeah you'll need an amplifier or else a stereo/hi-fi with a built in amp. I'm told that you should budget for an amp which costs rougly the same as your speakers.

I'm not a big fan of the 5.1 setup I think you're better off with a 2.1 setup and spending lots of money on some really decent bookshelf speakers. These will pick up all the noises if they have a good high and low range. Then, if you like that but need some more getting the other 3 speakers.

Hooking up the other devices depends on the amp also. Basically you wire your speakers to the amp and then send all the outputs from the other devices into the amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

Speakers in that price range

Kef KHT-1005 - £299
    Canton Movie CD101 - £290 (these are sold on AV Forums and are regarded as good as the KHT 2005) Ive just bought them and will reserve judgement until they are run in.

You will need a receiver, and for these not a world beater.
    Yamaha 359
    Yamaha 459
    Denon 1906

All this would make a fine Sub Satellite system by anyones judgement :D

Easca wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of the 5.1 setup I think you're better off with a 2.1 setup and spending lots of money on some really decent bookshelf speakers. These will pick up all the noises if they have a good high and low range. Then, if you like that but need some more getting the other 3 speakers.
    QUOTE]

Agreed to an extent, but a good sub sat system (and I mean good) will deliver everything you need, and because it's separates you can then upgrade the fronts to bookshelf/floorstands when you can afford it. This way you have a 5.1 to start with. That's the way I'd prefer, but everyone is different, I also bought a 6.1 receiver, and when money allows it, I'll buy a centre rear speaker also :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Thanks guys,

looks like ill be shelling out 900 for a set of the KHTs and a Denon Amp :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Cinemaworks

Have a look at the the audiopro cinema precision (available on the web)

Great little speakers and offer more mid range than most sub sat speakers

kencleary wrote:
    Thanks guys,

Good choice. Very nearly went that way myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

kencleary wrote:
    Thanks guys,

I saw you posting over at AVforums, Ken. Can you tell me where you're getting these from?

At the moment the place I have in mind is Richer Sounds. They've got both of the above in stock and their combined price is €900. Only problem is Richer Sounds are based in Belfast. If I can find them cheaper online with somewhere that does shipping to Ireland I might get them there. If not I'll have to try to see if I can convince someone to drive me to Belfast :)

• Advertisement

kencleary wrote:
    At the moment the place I have in mind is Richer Sounds. They've got both of the above in stock and their combined price is €900. Only problem is Richer Sounds are based in Belfast. If I can find them cheaper online with somewhere that does shipping to Ireland I might get them there. If not I'll have to try to see if I can convince someone to drive me to Belfast :)

Is it to trial them? If not they will post for €13 each, although could be £13 either.

Ah cool €13 is very reasonable. I'd still be interested if anyone can fine em cheaper online though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

From what I've seen and read over the last few months, most dealers aren't allowed sell KEFs online. KEF make it a condition of sale that they must be purchased "in person".

Apart from eBay, I doubt you'll get them anywhere else.

From what I've seen and read over the last few months, most dealers aren't allowed sell KEFs online. KEF make it a condition of sale that they must be purchased "in person".

Apart from eBay, I doubt you'll get them anywhere else.

This is definitely correct for the UK. However Richersounds.ie will defo ship them from Belfast to the Rep. I enquired before both on their website and over the phone, possibly because there is no retailer doing kef here, I think. There are plently of posts on AVForums about the 1005 and trying to get it for less than £299. Im pretty sure the consensus was that you cant get them below that price. FYI Richersounds Euro price is €449.

Advertisement