Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why, oh why?

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Why do people feel the need to reply to a joke and tell us they saw/heard it before?

Inevitably some of will have seen/heard posted jokes before, and some of us wont.

What is the point in advertising what jokes you already know? does it make you feel good, do you think it makes you better than the person who posted it?

If you already know the joke, just move on to the next one, we all do not need to know..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Probably the same reason you feel the need to moan about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

Heard this one then ? ....

One day in the future, George Bush has a heart attack and dies.
    He immediately goes to hell, where the devil is waiting for him.
    "I don't know what to do here," says the devil.
    "You are on my list, but I have no room for you.
    You definitely have to stay here, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I've got couple folks here who weren't quite as bad as you. I'll let one of them go, but you have to take their place. I'll even let YOU decide who leaves."
    Bush thought that sounded pretty good, so the devil opened the first room.
    In it was Richard Nixon and a large pool of water. He kept diving in and surfacing empty handed. Over and over and over. Such was his fate in hell.
    "No," George said. "I don't think so. I'm not a good swimmer and I don't think I could do that all day long."
    The devil led him to the next room. In it was Newt Gingrich with a Sledge hammer and a room full of rocks. All he did was swing that hammer, time after time after time.
    "No, I've got this problem with my shoulder. I would be in constant agony if all I could do was break rocks all day," commented George.
    The devil opened a third door. In it, Bush saw Bill Clinton, lying on the floor with his arms staked over his head, and his legs staked in a spread-eagle pose. Bent over him was Monica Lewinsky, doing what She does best.
    Bush took this in disbelief and finally said,
    "Yeah, I can handle this."
    The devil smiled and said .
    "OK, Monica, you're free to go."

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Liffeyman

prospect wrote:
    Why do people feel the need to reply to a joke and tell us they saw/heard it before?

Inevitably some of will have seen/heard posted jokes before, and some of us wont.

What is the point in advertising what jokes you already know? does it make you feel good, do you think it makes you better than the person who posted it?

If you already know the joke, just move on to the next one, we all do not need to know..

repost

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Because there is a difference between posting a joke which people have heard before, and posting the same joke for the 4th time that week.
    And then there's posting the jokes that are ****ing ancient...

I made a gathering card for this but some cnut deleted it:
    • Person A reads and joke on boards. Finds it funny.
    • Person A e-mail the joke to all his/her friends.
    • Friends reads the joke. Finds it funny.
    • Friends think "That's a good joke, I'll post it on boards."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Unearthly

haha what?

As in people just mentioning it in posts or slagging off the OP cause they heard it before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BarneyMac wrote:
    Heard this one then ? ....

One day in the future, George Bush has a heart attack and dies.
    He immediately goes to hell, where the devil is waiting for him.
    "I don't know what to do here," says the devil.
    "You are on my list, but I have no room for you.
    You definitely have to stay here, so I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I've got couple folks here who weren't quite as bad as you. I'll let one of them go, but you have to take their place. I'll even let YOU decide who leaves."
    Bush thought that sounded pretty good, so the devil opened the first room.
    In it was Richard Nixon and a large pool of water. He kept diving in and surfacing empty handed. Over and over and over. Such was his fate in hell.
    "No," George said. "I don't think so. I'm not a good swimmer and I don't think I could do that all day long."
    The devil led him to the next room. In it was Newt Gingrich with a Sledge hammer and a room full of rocks. All he did was swing that hammer, time after time after time.
    "No, I've got this problem with my shoulder. I would be in constant agony if all I could do was break rocks all day," commented George.
    The devil opened a third door. In it, Bush saw Bill Clinton, lying on the floor with his arms staked over his head, and his legs staked in a spread-eagle pose. Bent over him was Monica Lewinsky, doing what She does best.
    Bush took this in disbelief and finally said,
    "Yeah, I can handle this."
    The devil smiled and said .
    "OK, Monica, you're free to go."
    Heard that before.......

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

5/10 - must try harder. Honestly, two of the poorest jokes I have come across in a long time.
    prospect wrote:

Punchline lacks imagination. No discernable humour contained therein.

Again, punchline is far too obvious

I would suggest perhaps the following amendments.

Q: A pony walks into a bars and asks Why did the shetland ponies feel the need to reply to a joke and tell us they saw/heard it before?

A: Because they had a cough and were a little hoarse

and then:

Q: How many engineers who wonder What is the point in advertising what jokes you already know? does it [make] take to make you feel good, and [do you think it] make you better than the person who posted it, to change a lightbulb?

A: One.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Maximilian wrote:
    5/10 - must try harder. Honestly, two of the poorest jokes I have come across in a long time.

I would suggest perhaps the following amendments.

Q: A pony walks into a bars and asks Why did the shetland ponies feel the need to reply to a joke and tell us they saw/heard it before?

A: Because they had a cough and were a little hoarse

and then:

Q: How many engineers who wonder What is the point in advertising what jokes you already know? does it [make] take to make you feel good, and [do you think it] make you better than the person who posted it, to change a lightbulb?

A: One.

Very clever, well done to you. :)

Seriously though, have you ever checked this board and read a good joke, and later on you see there are 6 or 7 replies. So you think, 'great some varations on the theme', but open the thread to see a heap of twits comments like, "saw that before" or "got it on e-mail last week" or "I heard that before, but it was a scots man not an elephant"...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Unearthly

To be honest the replys in joke topics will never be any good

Full of replys like

":D "

":rolleyes: read it before"

"Die"

"cries"

":( crap"

"Give me my 1 minute back"

They are probably the worst topics ever if you're looking for replys. Original post is all that matters for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

It doesn't matter what joke you post as some know-all will have heard it before and post something negative. If you have heard it before then just click to another thread and forget it...if you haven't, and you liked it then say so, or come back with one of your own.....jesus cheer up !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

sometimes when i post a joke, i follow it up with a reply insulting myself for posting something that everyone's heard before just to save other people the hassle of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sometimes when i post a joke, i follow it up with a reply insulting myself for posting something that everyone's heard before just to save other people the hassle of doing it
    Ahh, self deprecation....Heard it before though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

TBH:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054970029&nojs=1#goto_threadrating
    More people on 'Humour' should rate the thread, that way yo don't even need to open a 'joke' to realize it's sh!te/funny. I know the OP is talking about something slightly different, but a joke re-appearing willl get a bad rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

prospect wrote:

ugh heard it before

Ah no the ops right, i dont give a continental if you've heard it before, others haven't.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I don't think such comments are restricted to Boards. They go hand in hand with jokes and always have done. Tell a joke in real life & someone will say they heard it, its not funny etc.

Sometimes, the "that sucked" replies on this forum are extremely funny themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

prospect wrote:

Heard this one before too ! :)

Advertisement