Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted on buying a family/Canadian canoe

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a family canoe to use on local lakes but don't know where to start. I think an inflatable one would be the best option as they seem to be alot cheaper and obviously easier to transport. Having said that, if I did go for a rigid canadian type, where could Iget a second-hand one from? Also, what about transportation? I've already got roof bars. At a later date if I did want to get a sit-on type, could this be carried aswell as the canadian on the same roof bars?

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

hey, dunno if you'll get much bak on this, im a canoeist myself, mainly k1's (racing) but canadians could prob be transported on normal roof bars, as could a k1, r "sit on" a good set of ratchet clamps and ur away! dont know bout inflatables, there used to be two regular fishermen on the lake i train on, in a small inflatable, with one of those motors, as they easily paked, and put on, worth lookin into,

try here click me!!

there might be canadians for sale r just info r contacts there, if you've anymore questions pm r post here, an ill tell ya wat i can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for your reply.
    a good set of ratchet clamps

Could you please explain what these are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

[QUOTE=a good set of ratchet clamps [/QUOTE]

LIDL Had them last week, may have some left. They are basically a long strap with a ratchet that tightens the strap around its load.

brilliant for everything, i have to put a boat on normal racks every morn, 2mins and its done ill try geta linky.................no cant find one handy, but oh yeh, super valu has good ones too, u got one near ya? wherebouts r ya?

Thinking on, if I were to get a Canadian canoe, would it be possible to carry more kayaks on the roof bars at the same time?

Or, if I went for kayaks only, how many could be carried at a time?

• Advertisement

great outdoors(a good place to start looking) first decide on what you'd be looking at, r u tihnking of a canadian, + other kayaks?is this still for family? u may want to look into a club or course, or have you paddled before? how many kayaks on the roof? how many can you tie down securely!!!there are ways to do it, which you would prob learn on a course, let me know bout the above and i can better guide ya!!
    whereabouts in the country are you based? (i can tell ya ur local club who will be able to help)

r u tihnking of a canadian, + other kayaks?is this still for family?

Yes.
    have you paddled before?
    Many, many years ago as a small child.
    learn on a course, let me know bout the above and i can better guide ya!!
    whereabouts in the country are you based? (i can tell ya ur local club who will be able to help)

North East. Monaghan area.

Thanks alot for your interest.;)

there is a canadian for sale here CLICK ME!

LIST OF CLUBS HERE (i dont know how up to date that is!)

obviously i should recommend the courses, lifejackets and safety precautions,

with regards to the canadian +others depends on the car/bars, itd be upta urself whether they'll fit or not, eg. where i might fit 3 on mine, sum1 else might fit four!

no problems! glad i can help!!

I'm finally getting around to buying a canoe - it would be used mainly on rivers / lakes but occasionally at the seaside. Would a Canadian canoe be suitable for occasional sea use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Conor Chong

Yorky wrote:
    I'm finally getting around to buying a canoe - it would be used mainly on rivers / lakes but occasionally at the seaside. Would a Canadian canoe be suitable for occasional sea use?

In very calm weather a canadian wud be fine, but if its anyway rough, it would be hard keep it upright with wind and waves etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement