Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid Ballybrit?!

Options
  • 01-08-2006 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey,

I'll be driving to Galway from Dublin on Thursday evening, just wondering if anyone knows of another way to get to Galway city that avoids Ballybrit and the race traffic?

I'll be arriving in Galway around 6.30 -7, which on Thursday evening I know traffic will be bad around the races as it's over at 6pm.

Anyone any ideas of a detour??
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If it was me, I'd try this...
    http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/planner_main_redirect.jsp

After Claregalway, you go up a long uphill straight, after which you'll see Corinthians Rugby Grounds on the right, followed by Hughes Pub on the left on the next corner. Opposite Hughes' is a road to the right, which will bring you to the Headford Road.

When you hit the first roundabout, take the 2nd exit, go past the Statoil, and go right up Sandy Road, which will bring you to Cemetery Cross Roundabout, where you take the 3rd exit right to get to Eyre Square.

What part of Galway are you trying to get to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just re-read my post. The directions should have gone from taking the Tuam exit off the Athlone bypass, rather than going through Athlone town!

Sorry about that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Get to Galway WHILE the second last race is still on (at the latest) and you will have no problem with traffic at all . You may drive past the gates of Ballybrit at 60mph .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 coll

Cheers for the directions.
    Trying to get to Dangan, but I'd say once I don't have to go near racecourse I should be ok?

Do you think it would be much longer taking the Tuam exit and going through ClareGalway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Fey! wrote:
    If it was me, I'd try this...
    http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/planner_main_redirect.jsp

After Claregalway, you go up a long uphill straight, after which you'll see Corinthians Rugby Grounds on the right, followed by Hughes Pub on the left on the next corner. Opposite Hughes' is a road to the right, which will bring you to the Headford Road.

When you hit the first roundabout, take the 2nd exit, go past the Statoil, and go right up Sandy Road, which will bring you to Cemetery Cross Roundabout, where you take the 3rd exit right to get to Eyre Square.

What part of Galway are you trying to get to?

Are you sure about this? Cause you will be stuck on Tuam Road (there's another exit for the races there, just before the car dealer/an post depot), and people will try to get into town from there, blocking Headford Road etc.

I think the best bet is to arrive in Galway before the last race is over, and stay on the Dublin road...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 coll

I can't leave Dublin till 4 so won't be able to make it to Galway before 6.

Do ya reckon traffic would be worse on Dublin Road or Headford Road??

I think at that point it does not matter...

Maybe you could delay your travel through Galway until after 7 or half 7 or so, most of the traffic *should* have cleared then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

at what time would traffic start getting dodgy out ballybrit side, i was thinking of popping down to galway for the day as if i can go down early and go home early it might be worth it!

for the late (5pm) races so far, traffic started building up around 4. And traffic will get very heavy when the races are over.

Will see how it goes today, it should get busy around 12, I presume.

galah wrote:
    Are you sure about this? Cause you will be stuck on Tuam Road (there's another exit for the races there, just before the car dealer/an post depot), and people will try to get into town from there, blocking Headford Road etc.

I think the best bet is to arrive in Galway before the last race is over, and stay on the Dublin road...

sorry, have to revise my comment - that shortcut would actually work quite well (was a bit lost there for a while...)

Traffic has been picking up since 12 in Parkmore by the way, it's still moving, but slowly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

hmm, the Tuam road can me a nightmare at Claregalway at the best of times,

Advertisement