Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sata2

Options
  • 01-08-2006 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

Why does my computer not pick up my SATA2 Hardrive :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

maybe your mother board dosent support sata2? have you insalled the drivers if it does ?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

anti wrote:
    maybe your mother board dosent support sata2? have you insalled the drivers if it does ?

Well its an epox motherboard and i have installed all of the drivers supplied on the CD provided.It also says on the Epox website that it is SATA2 compatable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well its an epox motherboard and i have installed all of the drivers supplied on the CD provided.It also says on the Epox website that it is SATA2 compatable

have you formatted the drive first ?

rigth click my computer > manage > disk management > format

reboot.

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Which board is it? is the hdd ok? could be a hdd problem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

try
    control panel/administrative tools/computer mangaement/disk management

see if its there.

• Advertisement

OK Here's the story
    I made a pc and got a SATA2 HD and epox motherboard (as well as the rest)I could not install windows so i added a temp IDE HD
    The SATA2 HD Does not show up in My Computer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

What model is the board and hdd?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

does it show up in bios
    if so follow earlier post and format it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

anti wrote:
    have you formatted the drive first ?

rigth click my computer > manage > disk management > format

reboot.

done :)

theres your answer

It shows up no where on the PC (not BIOS or Control Panel):confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

simple question:- is the power to the SATA2 live? is the SATA2 in the 1st SATA2 port? is the HDD showing up in the Bios! look in disk info section it should show up all attached devices!

is it a new HDD?

• The HDD shows up nowwhere on the computer at all
    • It is in the first SATA2 port
    • I says that the device cannot start
    • It is a brand new HDD

I heard somewhere that you need 2 SATA2 HDD's in a computer for it to work:confused:

The motherboard i have is an Epox EP-8HMMI-A

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Make sure the its jumpered out correctly.

Your Mobo does not support SATA 2 !! Storage Controller :- ATA-133, Serial ATA-150 (RAID)

Anti was right !!

specs here https://komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=307811&cks=PRL

YOU need SATA 1

(btw if its for sale let me know!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Will a Sata2 hard drive not run at sata1 speeds when connected to a sata1 slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

TomCo wrote:
    Will a Sata2 hard drive not run at sata1 speeds when connected to a sata1 slot?

they should do considering i have two SATA II seagate drives on my Abit IC7-G Max 2 board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Dont know whether this is relevant or not but I built a rig at the weekend with a 74GB raptor and a 320GB Seagate 7200.10.

The seagate wouldnt show up in My Computer. Apparently theres a problem with XP using HD over 137GB. So I downloaded a program from seagate.com called Disk Wizard and it fixed the problem. Am now using the seagate for storage.

Also there was a jumper at the back of the seagate that limits the speed to SATA I. So I removed it to get full SATA II speed.

Hope this information is of some use :)

well buddy get it sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mac_leinn wrote:
    Dont know whether this is relevant or not but I built a rig at the weekend with a 74GB raptor and a 320GB Seagate 7200.10.

The seagate wouldnt show up in My Computer. Apparently theres a problem with XP using HD over 137GB. So I downloaded a program from seagate.com called Disk Wizard and it fixed the problem. Am now using the seagate for storage.

Also there was a jumper at the back of the seagate that limits the speed to SATA I. So I removed it to get full SATA II speed.

Hope this information is of some use :)

There is a problem with older bios's not being able to see large drives, never heard of this in windows before. Look at the Hard drives specs for a jumper to change mode to Sata 1.5/1.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

wasn't the windows problem fixed by sp2 yonks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

kryan1 wrote:
    Make sure the its jumpered out correctly.
    This is the answer here. Seriously people. yuo should have got it sooner :)
    You need to jumper it to make it stay sata 1, some old mobo's need it be set.

buddy it was got in the first post! the mobo was not SATA2 compatabile!

I think he should have got that sooner too! like before he bought the HDD......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Well, it just needs to be coerced a bit, not all is lost :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sry for robbin your thread. Just 1 question. Is there any prob runnin sata1 & sata2 on same mobo? mobo supports sata2. ie 2x raptors & 2x barracuda.

PogMoThoin wrote:
    Sry for robbin your thread. Just 1 question. Is there any prob runnin sata1 & sata2 on same mobo? mobo supports sata2. ie 2x raptors & 2x barracuda.

no problem that I am aware of ! I've a Sata 1 and 2 in this very rig and an old IDE one too :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: cheers m8

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ALOT of disinformation around here.

Right: Sata 2 and Sata 1 are backwards compatable, which means that in general, any motherboard with a SATA port will work with any HD with a SATA port, regardless of generation.

The problem occurs, and is mostly prevalent on early SATA motherboards, and early SATA controllers, which don't let the computer see the drive as a standard IDE drive, but usually as a drive attached to a SCSI controller with SATA ports. That Via board uses this method for sata hard drives, it also usually means you need to install a driver using a floppy disk when installing windows. Newer boards by Via and nVidia and just about every Intel board that has had SATA doesn't suffer from these problems.

The other problem is these add in type controllers are often not forward compatable with SATA2, probably due to the way they implement SATA support (i.e. not as a standard IDE device). In this situation you can usually jumper the hard drive so that it is seen as a standard SATA 1 device and then it should work.

You also have to make sure that the SATA ports aren't set to RAID mode in the bios if you're not raid'ing them (obviously), but unless the SATA ports are disabled in the bios, raid mode or not, it should at least detect the drive and show it is there, either in the standard bios, or the raid config bios.

So in summary, check the web for information on how to jumper the drive to SATA 1 and you should be ok.

Advertisement