Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use an angle grider on timber?

Options
  • 01-08-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm using an angle grinder with metal discs to dismantle the storage tanks in my attic. Can I use the same discs to cut the timber peices left over when the house was built?

Thanks,
    LK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grinding wood is best done with an Arbortech disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

LeperKing wrote:
    Hi Folks,

I'm using an angle grinder with metal discs to dismantle the storage tanks in my attic. Can I use the same discs to cut the timber peices left over when the house was built?

Thanks,
    LK.
    Dont see why not but you would be making work for yourself. Better off with the correct disc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I wouldn't recommend using an angle grinder for cutting timber, a lot of work went into the design and manufacture of power saws for that job.

The disc will most likely just burn it's way through the timber very slow which will put a lot of stress on the motor, very soon no angle grinder and still a pile of wood to cut.

The real danger even changing the disc is angle grinders "jump and kick" if they get jammed, they have no guard to spring forward and prevent serious injury.

Hire a power saw if you must, a table saw might suit better, remember safety first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Dont risk it ..... very slow and dangerous but it does smell nice.

As CJhaughey said "Arbortech disc" they arent very expensive and MaQuillans have them.

Advertisement