Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Development Enviroment for SMS application

• 01-08-2006 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi
    I am researching for my Final Year Project and I'm thinking of using SMS to send information to a users mobile from a web server.
    I want to run this on a local host without actually sending SMS through a commercial provider.
    I would like to use the following J2ME toolkit 2.3 or 2.5 , Tomcat web server ,MYSQL and Netbeans IDE.

However I need to know is this actually possible?
    And what do I need on the server side to make it possible

Thanks
    in advance

Aidan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭scoby

If you're not going to connect to a gateway ( tcp ) or use a commercial api like clickatell (http ) you can connect a mobile to your server and find a way to interface them.

I think nokia had a driver for mobiles that allowed you to connect to the phone via serial/usb cable and send and recieve sms. I saw it working in windows visual basic though. It would not be suitable for sending/receiving a huge amount of messages.

I've used clickatell and it has been reliable and really easy.

If you want to do this for technical reasons I think you would need to find docs on how to assemble a text message for sending over tcp. AFAIK you would still have to connect to the mobile network through some kind of commercial provider.

If anybody could set up a computer to send messages directly, surely we'd be buried under sms spam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

J2ME is for software running on mobile phones, so you don't need that. Maybe you mean J2SE?

If you go through an aggregator like Clickatel, then it's simple HTTP stuff that you can do in Java or much anything else. The aggregators use SMPP to connect to the operators' SMSC's, but I wouldn't worry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

you cann connect any phone that has a modem function and issue simple commnds via the comm port. I even do this with a bluetooth connectoin. Alternatively as the man says clickatell is the way to go.

Advertisement