Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NTL Cabled area(s)...

Options
  • 01-08-2006 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

NTL have just recabled/are in the middle of recabling a large part of the Ballyroan area. The areas i know of for sure that are being recabled include Ballyroan Road (and side streets), Marian road (near the church) and as far as i know, butterfield.

Just a heads up for those of you around that area, dont get BB for the next 2 weeks and see if NTL do up your house. You'll know its been done when theres a nice new grey cable hidden inside some white plastic drainpipe-type tubing just under your gutters.

EDIT: This is for broadband access etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Are you sure its for broadband access? I know somebody in the area who got re-cabled over 2 years ago but they were only doing it to improve the Digital tv reception in ballyboden which was dire at the time.

He is still waiting for the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I had NTL digital installed a few weeks ago and the installer said I should be able to get broadband because it works over the same cable, and the signal strength was definitely good enough.

But when I asked NTL (when I ordered the digital TV), they said I couldn't get broadband. The installer said to ring up and say a neighbour has it.

Is this BS?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well just because you can get Digital TV and the signal is strong, doesn't mean you can get BB.

However the installer might be correct, often the NTL database isn't updated with the latest areas that have BB, so saying that a neighbour has it does work sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, my neighbour was talking to them, and she told me that they told her that we were all going to be getting flyers in the door offering a 3-in-1 package (or something like that, she wasn't sure). Would that be digital tv, basic tv and internet?

Also, i got a flyer quite a while ago saying that i could get digital TV, so i'd assume that this new cable isn't for digital tv as we can all get that already :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

eth0_ wrote:
    I had NTL digital installed a few weeks ago and the installer said I should be able to get broadband because it works over the same cable, and the signal strength was definitely good enough.

But when I asked NTL (when I ordered the digital TV), they said I couldn't get broadband. The installer said to ring up and say a neighbour has it.

Is this BS?

Well they regularly offer me digital but bb definitely is not available in the area (thats according to NTL who presumably should know?:rolleyes: ) Sad to be encouraged to lie to a company to have to get them to check their records isnt it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Ring sales direct and ask to put in a firm order.

We were told multiple times by NTL CS it was not available to us. This was after explaining to them our neighbour had it...

So we just rang the sales line one day and ordered anyway and had it installed 5 days later.

Worth trying as when you talk to CS its like they dont want your business :rolleyes:
    Don't bother to email them to ask...

Etho : the installer is probably correct. They know the areas very well so are sometimes more informed then the guys back in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The installers are as clueless as everyone else in NTL are.

Also, i got a flyer quite a while ago saying that i could get digital TV, so i'd assume that this new cable isn't for digital tv as we can all get that already :p
    So did my mate but people were complaining of the poor signal in the area so they replaced the wires, just like on ballyroan road at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

CiaranC wrote:

well its all relative:D

So did my mate but people were complaining of the poor signal in the area so they replaced the wires, just like on ballyroan road at the moment.
    Well, i'm hoping they wouldn't be stupid enough to not give us broadband while they're doing up the cables. A few friends of mine within 3 minutes walk from my house have ntl cable, so it's not as if i'm miles from a cabled area. I'm happy in the (hopeful) knowledge that i'll be availing of NTL broadband in the near future. Don't burst my bubble :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

CiaranC wrote:

In fairness to NTL, they've improved a LOT. I hadn't dealt with them for over two years but I had great service this time, was on hold about 2 mins before I got through to sales, and the digital TV was installed 2 days later...on a SATURDAY! I didn't think they did Saturday installs.

Well did you manage to get broadband from them yet Mutant_Fruit?

They seem to be recabling from Ballyboden down to the very end of Terenure- some job!

I see they've dug up some roads to put fiber down- were they digging on Ballyroan road?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

They're also re-cabling the Moyville estate (off the Ballyboden rd) which is where I live. A mate of mine who lives across the road from me and works for NTL has told me that when its complete we'll be offered the full NTL triple-play package (TV, broadband, phone service) so I'm pretty sure that will apply to all the other customers in the vicinity that are getting their cables upgraded. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I saw NTL digging up a road into Swords near the AirSide Ind. Est. the other week. Hopefully its fiber, then will be for Cable and then BB in the future!
    Ah, we can wish can't we?
    That side of Swords just has NTL running off a few master MMDS antennas currently.

Well did you manage to get broadband from them yet Mutant_Fruit?
    I could get broadband off em, but theres not a chance in hell i will until all the recent problems are fixed and stay fixed. If NTL had cabled a year ago i'd have switched without a seconds pause, but not now. No way.

I could get broadband off em, but theres not a chance in hell i will until all the recent problems are fixed and stay fixed. If NTL had cabled a year ago i'd have switched without a seconds pause, but not now. No way.
    Yeah, that said, when inex comes along i'm sure things will speed up because they aren't sending all their traffic down the same wire. I wonder when they will sort out the inex connection?

Advertisement