Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test - Churchtown

Options
  • 01-08-2006 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

My sister's doing her test in the Chruchtown test centre next week, after booking herself in there thinking it was the same place as Rathgar!...
    Looking for some info on the possible routes etc. so figured some of you worldly people may have some experience.

Obviously a pre-test or two from a local driving school would also help :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I made that mistake too, I got churchtown and thought it was rathgar, I found out the night before..... I did a pretest that morning and then in the test he brought me up the back of Nutgrove, I passed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Not sure of the route, I did the test in Rathgar and it was some time ago. However ISM in Ranelagh should know the route and their instructors are very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I found the ISM in Ranelagh pretty rubbish actually. I'd reccomend RAC in rathgar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 manor15

Hi all,

For sample driving test routes click on the link below

http://www.irishmotoring.ie/shop/index_new.php?cPath=26

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Hi Guys,
    You probably won't like what I'm about to say but here go's anyway.

I think people learning test routes is another contributing factor to our national bad driving skills. If you learn a route then you are not being fully tested on your ability as a driver. You have learned a route, not how to drive.

Test routes should be completely random and possibly at a different, but near, test center than the one you apply to.

I would say that being able to drive is the ability to adapt and react to driving in unknown situations, not the artificial spin around town that it is.

I wonder how many people would pass their test if it involved navigating a multi storey carpark, doing several hill starts in said carpark and getting into and out of a parking space? Would the pass rate would be lower?

Keep well,
    Torq

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Torq wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I think people learning test routes is another contributing factor to our national bad driving skills. If you learn a route then you are not being fully tested on your ability as a driver. You have learned a route, not how to drive.

Ya got a point alright. When i did it in portlaoise 10 years a go my instructor showed me potential routes and place to the the turnabout and reverse around a corner. I got the easy "revevrse around a corner, if the other one i'd being practiceng came up i may not have passed

Advertisement