Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish National Team

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A bit of a change in topic from John O'Shea but I want to look at the positives from our team.

The players that are certain to start the qualifying campaign:

Given (Newcastle) - UEFA cup this season and voted Ireland, Newcastle and Premiership player of the year.
    Finnan (Liverpool) - Champions League football ... mr.consistancy.
    Dunne (Man City) - Man City POTY 2 years running and has now been given the captaincy over Distin.
    S.Reid (Blackburn) - UEFA cup football now with Blackburn and pretty much guaranteed starter for them. Still only 25.
    Duff (Newcastle) - European football for him too obviously and should be back to his best at club level anyway which can only be a good thing.
    Keane (Spurs) - He'll also be playing European football after getting POTY and top scorer for the 3rd time in his 4 years at Spurs.

That's 6 players I'm more than happy to build the team around. I don't even think the Czechs top 6 players are better than those (well, if the old men retire).

After that we're in a bit of trouble though. McGeady is probably favourite for the right spot and I'm happy with that considering his form so far. He'll be playing CL football too and on his day can torcher the full back as much as anyone his age.
    Hopefully Doyle continues on from last seasons form. If not then surely Morrison or Elliott will be scoring goals come September.
    I'd have Kavanagh partnering Reid giving Reid freedom to get forward. Kav had a terrible game in Cyprus but he's not a natural holding midfielder and needs someone in beside him that can actually pass and tackle well. I think they could form a pretty good partnership.
    I don't know if Dunne is ready to lead the line but he'll have to and O'Brien seems to be the most likely partner. O'Brien has been one of Ireland's most consistant players but lets see him without Cunningham.

I think it's all down to how players can form partnerships in the central positions at the back, in midfield and up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think it's all down to how players can form partnerships in the central positions at the back, in midfield and up front.

Hopefully we get the chance to see this possibiilty, because we have been very unlucky with injuries over the past couple of campaigns. Either we have been very lucky, or the players were more interested in their club careers. A little from both columns maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

eirebhoy wrote:

Soounds so easy! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone know when the squad for the Dutch game is to be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zebra3 wrote:
    Anyone know when the squad for the Dutch game is to be announced?
    I think it's either later on today or tommorrow.

Advertisement