Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy landlord

Options
  • 01-08-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Are agents for landlords entitled to charge "administration fee's"?
    Also, can a landlord hold back my deposit until I have "properly cleaned" the place?
    Thx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

admin fees, no he pays them not you

proper clean, why yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gerry_J

Dear Doctor Fell. Firstly, Were you given the notification of Administration fees prior to signing the lease, or do you know if it’s that particular agents stated rental requirements, also are you aware that Administration fees charged are different from Letting or Management fees which are billed to the Landlord of the property.

Secondly, is there a clause in the lease similar to the following. The Tenants immediately before handing up vacant possession of the premises on termination of this agreement and or any subsequent agreements will is to clean all cookers, fridges and ice boxes. Along with, baths showers and sanitary apparatus and all other appliances and carpets, floor coverings, skirtings, windows and furnishings and to deliver up same in sound, clean neat, tidy and odour free condition. Fair wear and tear accepted, provided always that breach of this condition shall enable the Landlord or his Agent to deduct the cost of any specified repairs or general cleaning and or carpet and or upholstery cleaning costs from the security deposit.

Finally, Similar to Dodgy Landlord there can also be Dodgy Tenants who would use every trick in the book to avoid doing the simplest of tasks. Wouldn’t you agree.

Regards

Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

Thx for the replies - I'm not sure what you're insinuating Gerry. I'm certainly not using "every trick in the book" to avoid any duties, and no, I am not a dodgy tenant, having left the apartment in perfect condition.

My "Agent" is a scumbag, who rented me ( and my then pregnant wife) a damp mouldy apartment, which only became apparent once winter set in. Surely he knew of these problems prior to renting it??? The damp was so bad it destroyed a lot of clothes and shoes left in the presses, and I was sick with a chest infection most of the winter. That resulted in a lot of expenses for me, so no way am I going to accept anything less than my full deposit returned.
    He also threatened to withold my deposit which I believe is illegal - the law clearly states that he can only do this if there are rental arrears, or damage above and beyond normal wear and tear. Neither apply here. He also verbally abused me over the phone, roaring like a lunatic.
    So I would say he is clearly a "dodgy" agent/landlord.
    The apartment will of course be cleaned, I just hope he's not going to find some excuse to withhold even part of my deposit.

I would also add that we afforded him every courtesy whenever he wanted to come to check the property, and he has no reason to complain about our tenancy what so ever. So how you can get dodgy tenant from that is beyond me.
    So thx, but keep your dodgy tenant accusations and insulting tone to yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Dear Doctor Fell. Firstly, Were you given the notification of Administration fees prior to signing the lease, or do you know if it’s that particular agents stated rental requirements, also are you aware that Administration fees charged are different from Letting or Management fees which are billed to the Landlord of the property.

Secondly, is there a clause in the lease similar to the following. The Tenants immediately before handing up vacant possession of the premises on termination of this agreement and or any subsequent agreements will is to clean all cookers, fridges and ice boxes. Along with, baths showers and sanitary apparatus and all other appliances and carpets, floor coverings, skirtings, windows and furnishings and to deliver up same in sound, clean neat, tidy and odour free condition. Fair wear and tear accepted, provided always that breach of this condition shall enable the Landlord or his Agent to deduct the cost of any specified repairs or general cleaning and or carpet and or upholstery cleaning costs from the security deposit.

Finally, Similar to Dodgy Landlord there can also be Dodgy Tenants who would use every trick in the book to avoid doing the simplest of tasks. Wouldn’t you agree.

Holy patronising crap Batman!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Double post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gerry_J

Firstly, the property is a modern 1 bed property in Drumcondra built in c.1985, which has just been sold and has also passed a Structural Survey report which was conducted by the proposed purchaser and its was damp tested and passed. So your claims of Damp are as full of it as you obviously are.

One has to properly ventilate a property to avoid Mildew from condensation as opposed to damp in a first floor property, if it was ground floor then your claims may be understood a bit better but considering the first floor aspect one wonders where the damp is actually coming from.

Secondly, your were told that the cost of cleaning would be deducted from the deposit as per the provisions in the Lease if in the event you failed to clean the property, and should you try to twist this one around , I have the receipt of the e-mail sent yesterday stating just that, as for roaring at you on the phone considering I was outside on the road I had to speak up on the phone, but if your that sensitive well one wonders how is it you cope in the world today.

Thirdly, yes I would agree that you wee good tenants during the pat year and that is why a glowing reference was give to you, and a copy of which is available to be provided. The only issue arose yesterday when I asked you to clean the property.

Finally, the next time you refer to some one as a scum bag you should bear in mind that it is unwise to agitate an uneasy situation.

Regards Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

wow. What are the odds! small world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

Wow...hate that, Dr. Fell!!:eek:

It appears that there's issues on both sides of this thorny situation, but I suppose they'll be dealt with elsewhere and not on boards.ie from now on!! Pity though, this had the makings of a good thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Man, that is bizarre!!! Note to self: don't insult anyone, ANYONE on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

woww <high pitched voice>awkward!</high pitched voice>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

Gerry_J wrote:
    Firstly, the property is a modern 1 bed property in Drumcondra built in c.1985, which has just been sold and has also passed a Structural Survey report which was conducted by the proposed purchaser and its was damp tested and passed. So your claims of Damp are as full of it as you obviously are.

One has to properly ventilate a property to avoid Mildew from condensation as opposed to damp in a first floor property, if it was ground floor then your claims may be understood a bit better but considering the first floor aspect one wonders where the damp is actually coming from.

Secondly, your were told that the cost of cleaning would be deducted from the deposit as per the provisions in the Lease if in the event you failed to clean the property, and should you try to twist this one around , I have the receipt of the e-mail sent yesterday stating just that, as for roaring at you on the phone considering I was outside on the road I had to speak up on the phone, but if your that sensitive well one wonders how is it you cope in the world today.

Thirdly, yes I would agree that you wee good tenants during the pat year and that is why a glowing reference was give to you, and a copy of which is available to be provided. The only issue arose yesterday when I asked you to clean the property.

Finally, the next time you refer to some one as a scum bag you should bear in mind that it is unwise to agitate an uneasy situation.

Regards Gerry

My claims of damp are self evident. You yourself, had a man in to repair the damage from the damp - ask him how the entire bed room wall was riddled with moss and sh*t, from the inside! (It obviously gets through by osmosis, through the damp walls, basically.) Where it comes from is not the issue though, that you rented this place surely aware of the problem is the annoying part.
    Good excuse about being on the road!! You only stopped when I threatened to hang up, you lowered your voice considerably then, how come? That sensitive?? I was pissed off actually,
    I don't take well to being abused by anyone, especially someone roaring at me down a phone.
    In fairness, you escalated it when you lost your temper on the phone.
    Oh, and also the damp is real enough - see for yourself tomorrow - and yes, we always ventilated the place, so that clearly doesn't work.
    The place is spanking clean now - I'm fully confident it is more than satisfactory. And as there are no problems whatsoever either as you agreed, I look forward to my deposit being returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I know I'm not a moderator (soon, Dudess, soon!) but discussing it here and not among yourselves could be a bit dodgy. My gut feeling, that's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah Lord No!!!, its not every day the agent and tenant show up at the same time so leave them to it and help them meet in the middle :p

The crux of this argument is the damp , it would obviously be the landlords job to clean up mould and stuff arising directly from the damp not the tenants. If the damp is condensation related it could be because its not vented properly, if penetrating or coming from on high then its more structural.

BTW I have lived in damp rented accomodation and had to sort out damp issues as a landlord ....variously....

I hope the fridge and cooker are not original c.1985 ones either .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm leaving this to Doctor Fell and Gerry_J to sort out through some medium other than this thread. Good luck fellows.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement