Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Censorship

• 01-08-2006 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I think there is a certain promoter who is taking this to a new low. The threat of legal action against any independent website that dares speak their name, or any of the acts they are promoting. Do we live in a Stalinist totalitarian state, where our channels of communication are conitinually monitored in an Orwellian manner, and our words will result in us being disciplined and punished?

I'm aware that my post could see my IP banned from Boards.ie, but I don't care. Should a certain promoter not be able to allow negative feedback about a certain gig? Would they impose such censorship if said certain gig had gone well and according to plan? Should we be banned from discussing anything that will upset any corporate interest? Is this not a board where we should be free to express our opinions about music-related topics?

I'm above all very disappointed at Boards.ie, and why they have taken this threat so seriously. Do you think said promoter really wants to appear as anti-democratic in public as their implicit threat? The owners of this board should show some backbone, and stand up to corporate bullying, this is a denial of our right to discuss matters in an open forum, and an unwarranted censorship of free speech. Does this mean that any commercially sensitive topics cannot be discussed on Boards.ie, for fear of legal action? Does this mean that we cannot express our views about anything related to a commercial entity? (which includes all discussion about music, by the way) Where does the censorship stop? This is a serious issue, and if Boards.ie are prepared to let themselves be trampled on, its a sad state of affairs overall. And if they aren't prepared to stand up and be counted, how "independent" are boards.ie anyway?

Does anyone agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I agree with you its crap what that company is doing. But I don't blame boards.ie nobody wants to get involved is some case against a large organisation with lots of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

Thats the thing though, surely a disclaimer would do the trick? The teachers couldn't stop www.ratemyteacher.com from the comments that students were leaving, so I don't see how boards.ie should be any different. This is an idle threat, legally I can't imagine said promoter can do very much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm above all very disappointed at Boards.ie, and why they have taken this threat so seriously...

The owners of this board should show some backbone, and stand up to corporate bullying...

if Boards.ie are prepared to let themselves be trampled on, its a sad state of affairs overall. And if they aren't prepared to stand up and be counted, how "independent" are boards.ie anyway?

Got a few grand for legal costs lying around, have you?

Until it's your (personal) ass on the line, it's very easy to go on about 'showing backbone'.
    This is an idle threat, legally I can't imagine said promoter can do very much about it.

Possibly not, but Boards doesn't have the money to go to court to find out. 'A certain promoter' has the financial clout to make things very difficult for the people (real people, with bills to pay and families to support) behind boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

Well I can see your point, we all have bills to pay, and nobody wants to end up on the receiving end of a costly legal battle over something as trivial as freedom of expression.

But David can beat Golliath. The McLibel case proves it. Besides, you don't have to go to court to find out, you can have yourself covered before you even go down that road.

Anyway, the issue is that a certain promoter is restricting freedom of speech, in an open and public forum. I actually go to a lot of the gigs this promoter runs, so I'm not someone with a grudge, but this leaves a bit of a sour taste.

It was unfair of me to have a go at boards.ie, I can see they are in a difficult situation. We all know who is to blame anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Aidan,

This ground has been covered before, seeing it raised yet again is a little frustrating. If you have an issue why not take it to the promotor directly.

Vex.

Ps wrong forum to post this sort of thing, and your facts are just a little incorrect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement