Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best BMW with resale in mind?

Options
  • 01-08-2006 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭

Am i right in thinking that say a bmw 320 saloon (2.2) say 01, decent spec etc would be a better buy if one is to consider resale within 12 mths than a 520i m tec?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cyrus wrote:
    Am i right in thinking that say a bmw 320 saloon (2.2) say 01, decent spec etc would be a better buy if one is to consider resale within 12 mths than a 520i m tec?
    probably, but believe it or not a 318 saloon would be better again.

That said, I'd rather drive a 5 series with the MTech kit than a 3 series any day. They are just lurvly...!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah ur right about a 318, but i want the 2.2 as a minimum its not a true bm without the 6cyl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Cyrus wrote:

It all depends on how much you pay for the car in the first place. I wouldn't be narrowing the choice down too much, just look for a well-minded, low mileage 6 cylinder car at the right price.

budget is 18-20k (pref closer to 18) however for ins and tax the 2.2 is preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm biased, but I'd go with the 5. But make sure it's fully loaded!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A 3er will be much easier to sell than a 5er IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've no problem you're ignoring most of my advice on most of your posts about what car to buy next - I'm a stubborn bastud myself :D

Thankfully you've abondoned the 4-pot BMW route. You're going 6-pot. Fair play. Now, perhaps it is time to reflect a little and consider not going for a 320

Please do me a favour and do your sums. Your first years depreciation will be 3-4k, so more expensive tax and insurance from a 2.2 to e.g. a 2.8 are nothing compared to the depreciation loss

Unkel's first law of buying second hand petrol BMW cars in Ireland: The cheaper they were originally, the more expensive they are second hand in relative terms

(low end BMWs are overpriced second hand imho for any age between 1 and 10 years old)

Unkel's second law of buying second hand petrol BMW cars in Ireland: The bigger they are, the lower the second hand price and even the insurance premium will be lower for similar or even better performance cars

(high end BMWs are underpriced second hand imho for any age between 1 and 10 years old)

Please, Cyrus, get another Skoda or Audi econobox for a bit (and I promise I will not bark if you post here that you've just spent a tenner on an alloy upgrade or a body-kit or spoiler) until you can afford a decent BMW next year. I'll be very surprised if you'd want to change within a year of getting a 330ci :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Out of interest, has the Golf lost much in the while you have had it?

Won't you find a 520 down on power compared to it?

Unless the golf is causing hassle, surely it makes sense as Unkel suggests to wait until you can afford to run something that is a genuine upgrade to what you have already.

Selling a big engined (+2.0) car isn't a spectator sport in Ireland either, so you would probably want to be keeping it for a few years.

id be surprised of i lose anything on the golf, maybe 500 but not much more going on second hand prices at the moment, i even managed to buy a 156 and keep it for 6 months and not lose anything.

its all about spec and mileage over here :)

Advertisement