Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chances of me getting good(not eircon) broadband?

• 01-08-2006 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was interested in the 54€ package from BT which had 2mb Broadband included in the price.
    When I rang up to see if I could get it, the rep said it's not available.
    I said that my next door neighbor has broadband(with eircom I think), and he said that they "use eircom's system", or something like that, so he suggested I call Eircom.
    I went onto the eircom site and almost signed up to their broadband by accident when I was just trying to get to the line checker page.
    Funny how they almost make you sign a contract before being allowed to check your line.
    I didn't ring Eircom yet, basically because I don't know what to say to them.
    Is it up to eircom to provide me with a decent line so I can get broadband(albeit from some other provider)?
    Should I ring them up and tell them I want my line checked for BB, but not with them?
    Eircom are definately too expensive for me, and since BT use Eircom's lines(?), that should mean I should be able to get broadband.
    BTW, when I use the line checker on Smart's site, it says I am on the XXXXXXXXX exchange, which is on the list of enabled exchanges posted somewhere here on boards.

What do i do?!!?!?!?!111

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Be very careful when ringing €ircon, the CSR muppets seem to order you broadband at the drop of a hat, the first you find out about it is when they bill you or the modem turns up in the post.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

dawballz wrote:
    I went onto the eircom site and almost signed up to their broadband by accident when I was just trying to get to the line checker page.

And what did it say? Failure I guess, as that's basically the info BT uses as well.

I'd say it's theoretically possible to get eircom to fix a line, at least if you place an order. If this is the only way to get broadband, you can sign up with them for six months (minimum contract period) and then switch to BT or whoever.

Call eircom and ask but don't commit to anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dawballz wrote:
    Hi,
    I was interested in the 54€ package from BT which had 2mb Broadband included in the price.
    When I rang up to see if I could get it, the rep said it's not available.
    I said that my next door neighbor has broadband(with eircom I think), and he said that they "use eircom's system", or something like that, so he suggested I call Eircom.
    Funny how they almost make you sign a contract before being allowed to check your line.

What do i do?!!?!?!?!111

That is absolute nonsense - it is quite easy to check your line suitability on the Eircom site - just click on 'Find out more' on their main broadband page.

You can also check your line suitability here: http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34
    dawballz wrote:
    BTW, when I use the line checker on Smart's site, it says I am on the XXXXXXXXX exchange, which is on the list of enabled exchanges posted somewhere here on boards

If your line is on a Smart enabled exchange you will get the following type of message:
    our phone number xxxxxxx is serviced by the CROWN ALLEY exchange.
    This exchange is on the Smart Broadband Network.

Your phone line is broadband capable. Would you like to sign up?

I have never heard of Smart having a message sending potential customers to boards.ie to check their exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

dub45 wrote:
    That is absolute nonsense - it is quite easy to check your line suitability on the Eircom site - just click on 'Find out more' on their main broadband page.

If you are referring to http://home.eircom.net/broadband/ , all I see is "Order Now". I see no link for "Find out more".
    Edit; ok, you have to click "Order now" on that page, then it will bring you to a page with a link for the line checker.

I entered in two numbers and got:
    056-XXXXXX5 Unable to determine if line is suitable
    056-XXXXXX8 Unable to determine if line is suitable

But the number ending in 5 has Eircom broadband for the last 3 months or so, is on the same exchange, but lives about 1.5km from me.
    The number ending in 8 is my own.
    dub45 wrote:
    You can also check your line suitability here: http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=34
    Thanks, will use that.
    dub45 wrote:
    If your line is on a Smart enabled exchange you will get the following type of message:

I have never heard of Smart having a message sending potential customers to boards.ie to check their exchange.

Sorry, should have made that clearer.
    What I meant was that Smart said that I'm on the ******** exchange, but that exchange is not on the Network Build Program.
    Basically I just used Smart's line checker to check which exchange I'm on.
    I looked for my exchange in a list of enabled exchanges which was posted on boards and my exchange is on the list. I know Smart isn't an option but at least now I know my exchange is enabled.

edit2; on a side note, JESUS, Eircon is hugely expensive.
    Considering BT are now offering line rental + free landline/uk calls and 2mb broadband for 54eur.
    That would amount to about 65eur from eircon without making ANY calls.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Many lines with broadband already on them fail the test.

• Advertisement
Advertisement