Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Newsgroup access.

Options
  • 01-08-2006 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have concrete information on what changes have been made?

What is the official new address?

I'm trying news.cable.ntlworld.ie but I'm not able to download anything.

I seem to be able to download headers but nothing else.

I'm using newsbin pro and getting nzb files from newzbin.

Up till now I've been downloading no problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

news.cable.ntlworld.ie is the only address working for me at the moment but its throttled at about 800/900 kbps. (I'm on 3mb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The hostname ive always used is news.ntlworld.ie

*edit* We have access to totally new servers now it would seem
    news.ntlworld.ie is really news.chello.nl.
    news.cable.ntlworld.ie is really news.chello.nl.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=news.ntlworld.ie&type=A
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=news.cable.ntlworld.ie&type=A

These servers are out over a WAN link to Holland, are dog-slow and judging by the fact that a.b.g.xbox just offered me 80k headers to download, have totally **** retention

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks Guys.

Is it possible we now only have 24 or 48 hours of retention?

7 days was bad enough.

I've managed to download a couple of files from a.b.paxer

As said it seems to be very slow.

I hope this changes.....

edit: I've only come up with 843 posts on a.b.g.xbox

not 60,000 as mentioned above. Why would that be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I've always used news.cable.ntlworld.ie with no problems before but now I can't even download a list of groups from the server, nervermind download headers. I've also tried the other suggested servers listed here but with no success. Does anyone know for certain what server I should be using and if it's even working at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

I'm using -> news.ntlworld.ie and its working fine for me
    I've always used news.cable.ntlworld.ie with no problems before but now I can't even download a list of groups from the server, nervermind download headers. I've also tried the other suggested servers listed here but with no success. Does anyone know for certain what server I should be using and if it's even working at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

cbr900 wrote:

I tried that last night but it didn't work. I'll try it again later. Are you using port 119 to connect and do you require authentication?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cbr900

Yes port 119,and no login
    I tried that last night but it didn't work. I'll try it again later. Are you using port 119 to connect and do you require authentication?

cbr900 wrote:

Are the speeds ok?

Whats the retention time?

news.cable.ntlworld.ie is still the only address working for me but its much worse today. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Is anyone else still having problems accessing the newsgroups? I can only download in bits and pieces very very slowly:mad: . Is this a waterford only problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

Still having a host of speed problems with news access also.

One thing I noticed is that the new chello servers have a limit of 3 simultaneous connections each capped at around 40K/s. Attempt any more connections (my news reader was doing 6 by default on NTL) and you get kicked off the link.

Performance is choppy cycling between 80 and 120 K/s sustained (rather than being the one thing capable of completely maxing out the broadband connection, I miss 1100K/s :( ).
    As mentioned retention of articles is pretty poor on the new servers too.

Has anyone had any response from NTL regarding the poor link to Holland?

john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Update
    As of yesterday the newsgroups seem to be back to normal but there is very little retention on the NTL servers now. Maybe a day or so

So now I have access to groups but with that kind of retention it's kind of pointless.

Hopefully it's only a temporary thing.:rolleyes:

Any update on this?

I'm using news.cable.ntlworld.ie and i've still only got 2 or 3 days retention not to mention it being slow and intermittent

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

A changed I've noticed is that the the server no longer understands the XHDR command syntax which is a pity, as reading newsgroup headers is handy for filtering out spam and offensive material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

NTL newsgroups are useless at the moment, I hope they get better soon or I'll have to pay for access. Can anyone recommend a good newsgroup service.
    These don't look to bad http://www.newshosting.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

DingDong wrote:
    NTL newsgroups are useless at the moment, I hope they get better soon or I'll have to pay for access. Can anyone recommend a good newsgroup service.
    These don't look to bad http://www.newshosting.com/

I use www.supernews.com. No problems, reliable, good retention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Im using news.ntlworld.ie on port 119 and seems to be working fine.

Just tested the binary group i used to use most. There are 28k headers for download, as opposed to 1.5m before the change. Of the files that are even available, 100% are incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

www.thundernews.com, good deal for 6 month subscription, been using it for a year, 80 day retention, newsrover with supersearch comes free with it.

Talk about dragging up an old thread. :)

Anyways, I now use newshosting.com
    Its 15 dollars(bout 12euro) for a month, unlimited access.
    It's also the only one that allows unofficial sharing over 2 ip address'.

What use is an unlimited usenet subscription on an ISP that threatens to cut you off if you do 40GBs transfer?

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote:
    What use is an unlimited usenet subscription on an ISP that threatens to cut you off if you do 40GBs transfer?

Most people who have NTL got it before they turned nazi on the bandwidth.
    My point was that newshosting have a good deal.
    Thanks for your comments though. :rolleyes:

:confused:

My comments are relevant to anyone on NTL thinking of getting paid newsgroup access...

Advertisement