Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda radar

Options
  • 01-08-2006 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

hi does anyone know what freq the garda handheld/tripod detectors are on i bought a radar detector from the usa its for european use but doesnt pick these up thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I have no idea but I seriously doubt that anyone will say considering I believe these are illegal. Apologies if I am wrong on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I don't own one of these but isn't it supposed to be legal to own one but illegal to use one. I was told this about three years ago by a friend who got a load of stick from a Guard one day over a Fancy air-freshener on the dash which the thick guard confused for a Radar scanner. We then got talking about scanners after driving on from the checkpoint and he told me it is legal to own one but illegal to use one.

Anyone else care to elaborate??

Motors forum is probably the best pace for this btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

There was an article on Top Gear recently about these devices....i think they gave a test run to all the leading brands and found most of them were pretty ineffective against the hand-held radar guns but quite good at detecting the stationary speed cameras....so if you come across a guard with a gun you might as well have a picture of Mother Teresa on the dash for all the good it will do you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

cheers lads i got one from usa its for euro use has ku freq on it but wont pick up the handheld/tripod the garda use i was wondering what the freq was so that i know its not worth a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Handheld radars are pulse guns, this means they only flash for a second or 2. Stationary radars are on all the time & are easier to pick up a signal from. Yours should work with the pulse guns but you only get a split second 2 slow down. I had 1 few yrs back & it saved me quite a few times. They are legal to have but not 2 use. A garda cannot take it off u unless he finds it plugged in and in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most of the handheld/tripod speed guns work on laser now.

They have you speed read before the sensor can pick it up and you react to the warning. The old radar based speed detectors had a very wide beam and most got past the cars infront and this overspill was what the radar detector got to warn you. But with the laser based systems now they have a much tighter beam, approx 0.5m @ 1000m. So even if the gaurds are reading the speed on the car ahead of you, you would be lucky to detect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 harry99

Saw a GPS on bestsoundworks.com according to the decprition it can pick up speed cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

harry99 wrote:
    Saw a GPS on bestsoundworks.com according to the decprition it can pick up speed cameras

.....yes but only in the UK.Detectors are legal over there and so you can download camera locations from the web and install as a plug in on the GPS.

By the way if you have a sat nav unit that allows the user to enter "points of interest" then you can manually enter fixed Gatso camera sites as POI`s.(i know its no good for mobile speed checks)

I have these entered on my sat nav and the unit sounds a warning plus flashes uo on display from 1 kilometer away..all legal and above board:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

eirlink wrote:
    I have these entered on my sat nav and the unit sounds a warning plus flashes uo on display from 1 kilometer away..all legal and above board:) :)

clever. legally detecting speed cameras :D

Advertisement