Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wee xbox prob

Options
  • 01-08-2006 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

right,

I've been trying to install a larger hd in this xbox for a while, I softmodded the drive with no problems, then was also able to back-up the image using HDD_driver, now, only 20mins ago I was trying to do a low level clone of the xbox hd when the drive died (original drive) so now i need to somehow get the image onto the new drive, I have the locking codes so that is not a problem, however, i need to sort the image.

any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Doodee wrote:
    right,

I've been trying to install a larger hd in this xbox for a while, I softmodded the drive with no problems, then was also able to back-up the image using HDD_driver, now, only 20mins ago I was trying to do a low level clone of the xbox hd when the drive died (original drive) so now i need to somehow get the image onto the new drive, I have the locking codes so that is not a problem, however, i need to sort the image.

have you got a modchip lying around? I always have one. very handy. Install the chip, stick in a new drive, format and prepare with slayers, remove chip. Now you have a stock xbox, with a larger hard drive. Now all thats left to do is softmod it. :) I bought a solderless chip almost 2 years ago now, quickest way to repair/replace a new hdd. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If you have your image and lock/unlock keys, heres how to apply it to a new hdd

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/no-modchip-hdd-swap.php

You dont need any hdd keys. If you wanna install and new drive, all you need is a modchip installed temporarly, so you can format the drive, and install the dash. Then you can remove chip, and softmod it. Unless of course you plan on using live, you will need to clone the hdd correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If he had a modchip he would just use it, dont you think? Unless he bought one by accident without finding out what it does first.

It's more advice maybe he should pick up a solderless one..... v. useful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Doodee wrote:
    right,

You dont need a modchip if you have the eeprom backup, if you dont have it you need to know which softmod method you used and if you ran evox's backup option at any stage during the install?(so the eeprom.bin file would be on you hdd_driver's backup somewhere)

Once you have that you can use a program called xboxHDM to generate a linux bootdisc for your PC containing your HDD-driver backup files and the eeprom.bin file. Attach the new drive to your PC (Primary master I think) and follow the instructions.

You'd probably be safer using the C drive files from a slayer's disc rather than a flaky HDD-driver backup though

Advertisement