Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SmartTelecom reps misinformed about NTL prices

• 01-08-2006 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭

I've just been speaking to a couple of SmartTelecom sales reps who called to the door. When I told them that I was on NTL 2MB package they tried to convince me that NTL was charging me €40 a month. I said €25 and the guy said

"NTL charge €30 for 1MB, €40 for 2MB. Those are NTL's new prices from last week."

The prices quoted have not been used by NTL since the end of last year.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

So you're on the NTL package and they're arguing with you over how much you're paying... interesting pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

He gets paid to get you to change. Not very surprizing that he lied to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I used to have Eircom drones ringing to tell me how great they were and would I like to come back to them (yeah...just after I stick burning needles in my eyes...).
    They all lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Mossy wrote:
    I've just been speaking to a couple of SmartTelecom sales reps who called to the door. When I told them that I was on NTL 2MB package they tried to convince me that NTL was charging me €40 a month. I said €25 and the guy said

"NTL charge €30 for 1MB, €40 for 2MB. Those are NTL's new prices from last week."

The prices quoted have not been used by NTL since the end of last year.

Has anyone else come across anything like this?

this is serious miselling, if you can be bothered i would contact the consumer ombudsman and report Smart telecom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Maybe he's factoring in the cost of the basic TV package that you need to sign up for if you want NTL broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

From what i hear Smart are looking to be bought as they cannot afford to keep afloat as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Diabolus wrote:
    From what i hear Smart are looking to be bought as they cannot afford to keep afloat as things stand.

maybe we should have a whip around ??

I'll chip in €50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Mossy

I never thought that he was trying to deceive me, it just seemed like he had the wrong information, and he seemed convinced this information was up-to-date and accurate. He even referred to the 1MB connection as the "Broadband Starter" package (that package is now 2MB). He may have been trying to tell me that NTLs prices were going up (though it didn't sound like it) or he may have been hoping that I wouldn't know how much I'm paying. Honest mistake, or a good liar?

Upon mature reflection, I now recall that even the prices he quoted weren't being used last year. I was paying €25 for a 1MB connection from July.
    okcomputer wrote:
    this is serious miselling, if you can be bothered i would contact the consumer ombudsman and report Smart telecom

Even if it was an honest mistake the misinformation could be used to get NTL customers to switch even when it's not in their best interests to do so.

I have sent an email to SmartTelecoms customer support. I'll give them a chance to reply, and I'll include the reply in my report to the consumer ombundsman.

SmartTelecom will probably say "Oops, our mistake", but if the ombudsman gets a few reports of this type they may have a case against SmartTelecom.

Maybe he's factoring in the cost of the basic TV package that you need to sign up for if you want NTL broadband.

Doesn't add up.

a) The figures are wrong. In any case there's a €10 difference in the prices he quoted. Regardless of what he includes there's only a €5 difference between the prices of those packages.
    b) He wasn't going to replace my TV service, so I'd still be paying NTL for the basic TV package.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ntl recently anounced that they were closing their call centre here in waterford at the end of the year with the loss of between 100 and 120 jobs.

Within two days of this announcement Smart sales reps were on the door steps all over waterford. There sales ploy this time was that NTL were going out of business and that there customers would be left stranded.

A shower of tossers if you ask me. My aunt who actually has ntl BB was believing them and fell for their ploy. Luckly this guy had left his number and I was able to pass on what I tought of his sales ploy. The thick ****er never even told her that she would also have to change her phone number.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Smart Telecoms reps seem to be very good at misleading people.
    I had a guy at the door last week. I told him I was with BT & I did not want to have to go back to Eircom first in order to switch to smart. (not to mention the 10 days downtime).
    He told me there is no need to go back to Eircom if you still have an old Eircom a/c number.. Great I thought, untill I looked into it.
    100% lies..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

100% truth to be honest, you can switch to any company it doesnt have to filter back threw eircom anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

RasTa wrote:
    100% truth to be honest, you can switch to any company it doesnt have to filter back threw eircom anymore.

100% wrong, you can now keep your number but you still have to transit through eircon to change providers. Was on the news RTE 1 radio today with chap from Ireland Offline making the point that the transit is the last big hurdle to proper LLU.

Thanks again dial up!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have sent an email to the competition authority questioning this.
    I'll let you know if I get any response.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

No need to ge near Eircom.. All you need is the UAN from your last provider.
    Usually on your bill.

Time to ditch RIP-OFF Eircom forever

Try it tomorrow so and see how far you get, the transit has NOT been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LunaC

Them sales reps prey on morons, lucky you not one of them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

100% wrong, you can now keep your number but you still have to transit through eircon to change providers. Was on the news RTE 1 radio today with chap from Ireland Offline making the point that the transit is the last big hurdle to proper LLU.

Thanks again dial up!

No you just give your UAN to your new provider, then by law you get a 10 day cooling off period and then after that it takes 15 days to get set up with your new provider, 10 days if you are still renting your line with eircom.
    Anyway BT is the best BB provider through the phone and NTL the best overall and has the added bonus of being a cable modem. But then again your cables in the area have to be suitable for bb, like telephone cables.

Snigger... BT the best....SNIGGER.... ROFL

:rolleyes: Nuff said get your coat...

koolkid wrote:
    I have sent an email to the competition authority questioning this.
    I'll let you know if I get any response.

This is the response I got:

I refer to the above complaint received by the Competition Authority on the 4th August 2006.
    The Competition Authority is established by statute and one of its functions is to enforce the Competition Act 2002 (‘the Act’). The Act prohibits arrangements between undertakings and abuse of a dominant position by undertakings that harm the competitive process and ultimately decrease consumer welfare. The Competition Authority’s role is to investigate allegations of anti-competitive behaviour and to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to suggest that there has been a breach of the Act. Further information on the Competition Authority can be obtained from our website – www.tca.ie.
    Written complaints received by the Competition Authority are considered by a screening committee and forwarded to a case officer for review. The case officer’s function is to examine the details of each complaint to determine whether the complaint raises competition issues, and if so what further action may be appropriate. As the case officer assigned to your complaint, I recommend no further action with regards to your complaint for the reasons stated below.
    The Competition Authority is aware of the various issues raised by your complaint with regard to changing telecommunications providers. The problems that you mention with changing telecommunications service providers (being required to return to eircom in order to switch from BT to Smart, having to change your existing phone number, and delays in the actual change of providers) are all problems being addressed in the current industry forum regarding local loop unbundling being overseen by the Commission for Communications Regulation ("ComReg"). Each of the issues that you mention has been identified by ComReg and it currently is engaged actively with industry players in working to find a solution to these problems and therefore to make it easier for consumers to switch service providers. ComReg is currently facilitating regular consultations between industry players and has committed to publishing monthly progress reports on the status of the negotiations. It has also established a series of milestones in this area, which its monthly progress reports will monitor. For instance, through this industry forum eircom has agreed to provide an interim solution for number portability for products provided through an unbundled local loop, and to commence development of a long term solution, by 8th August 2006 and ComReg has committed to monitoring the implementation of this milestone. These progress reports are available on ComReg’s website (www.comreg.ie) and the latest report should be released shortly.
    Because ComReg, eircom, and other industry players are currently attempting to negotiate a solution to these issues, the Competition Authority does not intend to take any action at this time. The Competition Authority continues to monitor the outcome of the industry forum overseen by ComReg and is prepared to review the issues from the perspective of the Competition Act 2002 if it fails to progress.
    You are, of course, entitled under the Act to bring the matter before the Courts yourself. Section 14 of the Act gives a private right of action which you can exercise even though you have made a complaint to the Competition Authority. The fact that the Competition Authority is not at present taking any action in relation to your complaint does not in any way prevent you exercising your right of action under section 14. I would suggest that your solicitor will be able to advise you on any general remedies which might exist under Irish law. The Competition Authority cannot however provide such advice in relation to private litigation.
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for bringing this matter to the Competition Authority’s attention. If you have any additional information with respect to these or any other competition issues that suggest a breach of the Act has taken place the Competition Authority would be happy to consider it.

Advertisement