Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Afraid To Date

• 01-08-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Short intro; im a 17 year old guy.quite attractive, like you'd turn your head on the street, im nice though and in no way superficial. in fact i think thats the problem.
    my problem is Im afraid to start dating because, this may sound very silly but, i dont believe relationships will work out and I dont want someone to fall in love with me because I dont want to hurt them.

I only want to be friends with girls but right now Im really confused, especially since me and my best friend (is a girl) are getting closer and closer and there is a sexual attraction between us, I can tell because we almost went the whole way,it was the lack of protection that stopped us.

The thing is though Im annoyed at myself for allowing her fall for me because I know now that if we take it further than friends,when it ends she'll be really hurt because of me and I dont want that to happen. Thats the way I see it with all girls so now its gotten bad like I only make eyecontact with girls on the street but look away quickly in case they get an idea that we should date.

Because of myself and my friend bordering on more than friends ive been thinking about it a lot recently. And since Ive never dated I don't know how to go and get a date. ANY advice would help me so thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

explain it to her, shes a friend, she'll understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres a good chance you are going to get hurt in the future at some stage, OP. Its just one of those things that is going to happen but it will make you stronger. There are wonderful, kind and gentle people out there with plenty of love and happiness to share with you. Have a chat with your friend, let her know your thoughts and good luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

You seem very confused. Fear of hurting people is not a valid reason to avoid dating unless you're a potentially dangerous psycopath, which I trust you're not. Sure you might hurt someone and even get hurt yourself. That's how it goes sometimes. But you'll never know if you don't give it a try. As for 'how to go and get a date' there's no quick fix answer to that one. Mixing socially amongst friends etc. if there's someone you like go for it, ask her out. You say you're a pretty good looking guy so you shouldn't have a problem. If you fancy your friend (she appears to like you also) then tell her how you feel and see how it goes. You claim you're a nice guy so why are you so concerned that you'll hurt somebody? You're 17 and good-looking, go enjoy. Many a lonely, balding middle-aged man would kill to be in your shoes!! Treat any girl you're with very nicely and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Advertisement