Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get caramel?

• 01-08-2006 9:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get caramel to make some variations on chocolate rice krispy cakes; but where would I get a lump/bag/box/tin/whatever of caramel, and what brand(s) is/are the best?

Thanks for the help...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I've never heard of buying caramel, tbh. It's quite easy to make though, although if you don't have a sugar thermometer, or don't know the difference between your soft crack and your hard snap, I suggest using this ultra simple recipe. It's magic w/ ice-cream, reduce the amount of cream if you want it thicker & stickier. :

Melt 8 oz of sugar in 4 oz of butter, then boil for around 3 minutes. You'll see a colour & consistency change. Take it off the heat and let it settle, then stir in 8 ounces of double cream. Makes a ton, halve it if you're only making a small batch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

:D you can purchase caramel in squeezable bottles from all supermarkets, it is designed for pouring on icecreams, this might do.

for crispy buns i have often used caramel bars melted, tastes great:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for that Shab; I'll pick up some cream tomorrow; does it matter if it's brown or white sugar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lazy mans way:
    Note - "milk" refers to one 400g can of Sweetened Condensed Milk.
    Oven
    Method: Pour milk into a 9" pie plate. Cover with foil; place in larger
    shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water to just below pie plate rim.
    Bake at 220ºc for 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored. Beat until
    smooth. Stove Top Method: Pour milk into top of double boiler; place over
    boiling water. Over low heat, simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until thick and
    caramel colored. Beat until
    smooth. Microwave Method: Pour milk into 2 litre. glass measure. Cook on
    med. (50% power) 4 mins., stirring briskly every 2 mins until smooth. Cook
    on med-low(30% power) 12 to 18 mins. or until very thick and caramel colored, stirring briskly every two mins. until smooth. To Reheat in
    Microwave: Place desired amount of caramel in a 1 or 2 cup glass measure.
    Heat on high (100% power) 40 to 50 secs. or until warm, stirring after 20secs.

flogen wrote:
    Thanks for that Shab; I'll pick up some cream tomorrow; does it matter if it's brown or white sugar?
    Nope! G'luck w/ it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Shabadu wrote:
    I've never heard of buying caramel, tbh. It's quite easy to make though, although if you don't have a sugar thermometer, or don't know the difference between your soft crack and your hard snap, I suggest using this ultra simple recipe. It's magic w/ ice-cream, reduce the amount of cream if you want it thicker & stickier. :

Melt 8 oz of sugar in 4 oz of butter, then boil for around 3 minutes. You'll see a colour & consistency change. Take it off the heat and let it settle, then stir in 8 ounces of double cream. Makes a ton, halve it if you're only making a small batch. :)
    You could also do it the very lazy way and buy packets of toffos (I think that's what they're called) and melt them with marshmallows. Tooth-rotteningly delicious. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

You could also do it the very lazy way and buy packets of toffos (I think that's what they're called) and melt them with marshmallows. Tooth-rotteningly delicious. :)

:eek: That sounds rather interesting! Might have to give it a go.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

here is the tasty recipe:

3 x tubes of Toffos (or any other toffees, approx 100g)
    3 x 100g bag marshmallows
    rice krispies
    8oz butter/marg

Melt toffees, butter and marshmallows together in pot over a low heat, stir while it is melting.

When all melted add lots and lots of rice krispies, even when you think you've added enough add a little bit more as when I did it I thought it was krispie enough but it wasn't really in the end.

Spread out mixture on a greased tin and leave to set. Put it in the fridge for speedier setting.

When set cut into squares or just gorge on your giant rice krispie square and share it with no one!

Oh my GOD! I'm so making them for the kiddo's 3rd birthday.

damn it! I knew I forgot to get something in the shop; went around and got the cream (had sugar and butter already), and got some galaxy chocolate too... meant to get Marshmallows.... darn

Thanks again for the tips; going to try and whip it up in the next bit :D

• Advertisement

hmm... just made it there and letting it settle for a while; pretty much went with the amounts you gave Shab, had a little taste and it seems a bit off tbh, the initial taste is sweet but then it tastes like it's burnt (which it shouldn't be)..
    Edit: it's actually as if it's really bitter; and it's quite dark too (even with probably more than 8oz of double cream in it)... would putting more cream or milk or something into it help?

I used around 7oz sugar, 3.5 oz butter, probably 8oz+ cream in total

Will wait for it to cool some more and see :S

Oh dear. You burnt the sugar. It's dead, I'm afraid. :( I blame myself because I gave you the 3 minutes boiling time, but that's generally spot on for me.

:D no worries; I'll try it again and be more cautious with the sugar (heat it slowly, maybe change they way I boil it too?

Anyway, you need to make these mistakes, no fun otherwise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I remember making different rice krispie buns a few years back for a house party.
    I got a few bars of cadburys caramel and melted them down to mix up with the normal milk chocloate... added in marshmallows and malteasers (added in later as mix was cooling).
    They were delish and went in a flash!

Advertisement