Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going about getting car insurance

Options
  • 01-08-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Im going to ring them tomorrow and try and sort it out.
    What details exactly will I need regarding the car. Do I just need to tell them the reg number? Obviously, I know engine size, car model etc.

Should I try to haggle for a better premium. eg. if quote on internet was 1700 is it ok to try and get them down to 1600?

Also, how should I go about getting the money to them if its resting in my account? Bank transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

junii wrote:
    What details exactly will I need regarding the car. Do I just need to tell them the reg number? Obviously, I know engine size, car model etc.

Depends on the company but expect - trim/spec level, value, colour, milage, where it's parked at night, alarm, imobiliser, modifications, etc.
    Should I try to haggle for a better premium. eg. if quote on internet was 1700 is it ok to try and get them down to 1600?

Yes - I always tell them that I have a cheaper quote and offer to send them a copy even though I don't have it. i usually get another €50 or so off (not bad on €500). PS - that is on phone - never did it online.

Also, how should I go about getting the money to them if its resting in my account? Bank transfer?

Credit Card is usual way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

What about if I don't have a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Payment can be done cash if you're going through a local broker or by cheque/draft too. Don't know about transfer. No harm to ask.
    • Any other drivers
    • Legnth of time you've had licence
    • driving experience (named if they'll take it)
    • where the car is normally driven and kept at night
    • where it's parked at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

junii wrote:

Always ring around. I was going to be charged an extra 115euro when I changed my car. I rang around an got a price close to what I had been paying. When I rang back my current company to cancel my insurance with them they kept me on the phone for 20 minutes practically begging me to stay with them. They eventually agreed not to increase my premium.

Advertisement