Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub suggestion?

Options
  • 01-08-2006 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I'm back home next week for two weeks and will be meeting friends in Dublin. The thing is that although I'm a Dub I know that so much will have changed regarding city centre pubs.

I'd like to suggest meeting up for catch-up drinks with a few friends but would like not to have to shout over the music to be heard! Can anyone suggest anywhere in the city centre for a good, quiet pint? Preferably somewhere that doesn't have sport on the TV either. So no Q-Bar etc. please.

Difficult one I know, not asking for much am I? :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

The Brazen Head is perhaps one of the best pubs in the city. Isoldes Tower on Parliament street is nice too. The Porterhouse is a good spot but can get a bit crowded (and Im a bit sick of the place :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Grogans, Stags Head, The Long Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

and the Thing Moat on suffolk street but its called somthing else now. Somthing crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

upstairs in o'neills on suffolk st. can be nice for a quiet pint - dicey's garden too - beautiful beer garden if the weather is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Long Stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for all the help guys although to be honest I think places like the Long Stone aren't going to be that quiet :) Last time I was in O'Neills was about one week before the first floor collapsed (I didn't do it, I swear!) :D Last time I was in the PorterHouse was two years ago and you couldn't move in the place. I'll try the Brazen Head or some of the others.

Asking the impossible really, nice quiet pub in Dublin city centre, what am I like? :rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Anywhere in the IFSC if its a weekend. Seriously, theres some really nice pubs there and they are all deserted sat and sun.
    and the Thing Moat on suffolk street but its called somthing else now. Somthing crap.
    O Donohues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Palace just off West Moreland Street. It's an old style Dublin pub that doesn't get too loud.

Or Chaplain's just across from the Screen cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I love the Palace, but it gets lots of tourists in and can be very noisey... also they have 2 TVs in there now and show lots of sports very loudly.

Grogans on South Williams Street is the best place if you ask me.

No TV, no music and great Guinness... oh and the cheese toasties aren't bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Try Mullingans in Poolbeg st... nice bar, nothing fancy, great guinness or so I'm told and always a nice few people in the place especially after work but not too crowded in the evenings.

A true hidden gem and only a few mins walk from O'Connell bridge :)

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

I'd agree with the suggestion of Mulligan's on Poolbeg street. The Duke, off Grafton Street, is nice and central and isn't usually too loud or mad busy. Peter's pub, is a tiny little place near the Stephen's Green centre, it's lovely too. Never too busy, 'cos there's just not enough room to let loads of people in. The same can be said for the Dawson Lounge on Dawson Street (downstairs - supposedly the smallest pub in Dublin). Happy pub-hunting! None of the above are loud/busy/superpub in any sense of the word!!

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys, I now have a good selection to choose from! :)

Nice to see there are still some good pubs in Dublin and not just superpubs! Superpubs can be alright on occassion but give me a nice local with a good pint anyday :)

Edit: smallpaws, that site is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Try The Czech Inn, it's above Isoldes just off Parliament Street.

I was in there last night, and had a great time. Music was at a nice level and they have a great selection of Czech beers. It is a part of Isoldes, but has a different entrance.

In fact, I was going to start a thread about it, but this one will do. Has anyone else been in this place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭smallpaws

Try The Czech Inn, it's above Isoldes just off Parliament Street.

I was in there last night, and had a great time. Music was at a nice level and they have a great selection of Czech beers. It is a part of Isoldes, but has a different entrance.

a great selection of Czech beers...............*Homer Simpson-like drool*

I know where I'm going next time I'm in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭obrien_pa

The Czech Inn?! Never been but it sounds interesting..If it's anything like the pubs in Prague, I can't wait to pay a visit!

You see, this is what I love about New Dublin :D As I've said elsewhere for too many years Irish drinkers had to put up with the same old, same old.

Guinness/Murphys/Beamish
    Smithwicks/Bass, later Caffereys and Kilkenny
    Bud/Carlsberg/Heineken
    Bulmers

Now there are so many great beers available in Ireland. The only thing I like about living in the UK is the huge selection of real ales, well that and the fact that I get paid more over here than I would in Ireland for the same job!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Do they have Staropramen Red? I love that stuff... hard to get here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Grimes wrote:
    Porterhouse is a good spot but can get a bit crowded (and Im a bit sick of the place :P)
    Yeah, seconded.

Anyway, I'd go for Hartigan's/Mulligan's on Poolbeg St. They're right next to eachother, and serve the best pints of Guinness I've tasted in the Dublin City area! Nice enuff. Hartigan's has a pretty good beer garden too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

&#231 wrote: »
    dicey's garden too - beautiful beer garden if the weather is nice :)
    Pints in there are awful and with the extension to the beer garden they've put up the prices again. e5.20 for a pint of lager is ridiculous for the place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Do they have Staropramen Red? I love that stuff... hard to get here though.
    Not sure about the Red variety, which I would like to try, but they definitely have Staropramen.

I'd say they have the red in bottles though.

It's a good place, only open a couple of months according to my friend (I'm only back in the country a fortnight). They have A4 sheets blu-tacked all over the place in Czech, that look they were printed on the oldest, cheapest colour printer they could find!

I will definitely be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mystery lady

try the barge or the bleeding horse, they're my favourites anyway
    they both have TV screens for the matches though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Generally just walk even as little as 5 or 10 minutes from the centre of the city and you will find lots of small pubs that are close to empty. Even get out of the city altogether and try a pub in some of the quieter suburbs. There are loads of hidden gems around if you want a quiet pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Hey, I have kinda the reverse question.
    Due to go out with work tomorrow night & the people I'm going out with are ranging in age from mid 20's to 50's. They always want to go to a big pub like Zanzibar, Knightsbridge, O'Dwyers etc. & specifically one with a dancefloor.
    Everywhere I suggest is usually thrown aside because its too small or too far away & therefore recently I haven't been bothered going out with them. Anyone any suggestions for a pub similar to the above thats good craic & isn't full of ancient people / scumbags etc...
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ap

Here's a start for the original person's search:
    Quietpubs.com

currently building a list of places that fit the bill!

Advertisement