Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

8 penalty points - Insurance?

Options
  • 01-08-2006 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

I'm actually driving very cautiously since I hit 8 as I can't afford to get any more. 6 of 8 points were total speedtraps - 40mph in a 30mph zone, or just after coming off from a motorway for example.

The other 2 points were for breaking a red light at 3 in the morning. I was stopped at the lights (which I know take some time to change) for about 20 seconds and I had a clear view of the road in both directions which was completely empty, as to be expected at this hour of the morning, so I pulled out, unaware that the car parked behind me was a Garda car.
    I'm really disappointed that I now may have to wait a year or two to get a new car. Any recommendations on where to go for insurance or am I f***ed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

No sympathy, like them or not the law's the law.

It'll hit your insurance unless you know your broker personally!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

im in the same boat, ive got bloody 6, but seriously thats life and its my own mistake so i deserve it.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sorry, all I can do is laugh at you.

Try FBD, I have four points and they said it makes no difference to my premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm actually driving very cautiously since I hit 8 as I can't afford to get any more.
    ^^ Tempted to put that quote in my signature :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm actually driving very cautiously since I hit 8 as I can't afford to get any more. 6 of 8 points were total speedtraps - 40mph in a 30mph zone, or just after coming off from a motorway for example.

The other 2 points were for breaking a red light at 3 in the morning. I was stopped at the lights (which I know take some time to change) for about 20 seconds and I had a clear view of the road in both directions which was completely empty, as to be expected at this hour of the morning, so I pulled out, unaware that the car parked behind me was a Garda car.
    I'm really disappointed that I now may have to wait a year or two to get a new car. Any recommendations on where to go for insurance or am I f***ed?

That's the point of speed traps. I got two points for speeding a while back and I've learned my lesson! You can't ever know where the traps are likely to be so it pays to heed the limits all the time!

As the saying goes, fool me once shame on you...

If you didn't realise that the car behind you was a Garda car, does that also mean that apart from breaking the lights you were driving without due care and attention?

Anyway, back to your question, there must be insurance companies who will insure you. Give a few of them a call or try a broker. No doubt if you check the Golden Pages someone advertises the fact that they cover drivers with lots of points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

Well, I've found one site, Britton insurance, who'll insurane high powered cars for a semi reasonable price. The web site doesn't ask about penatly points though so I'll have to give them a ring. I think I'll just have to start calling around as it seems you can't a quote online with over 4 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

The last 2 penalty points I have yet to receive as the red light offence happened fairly recently. I haven't actually received notification of them yet. I rang to find the dates of my previous points and was told I had 6 points on the system.
    Does this mean I can declare that I have 6 points when insurance companies ask me how many I have? Technically I do actually only have 6 until I receive notification, is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Yeah you only declare 6 but read the paperwork carefully to make sure it doesnt mention points not yet applied to your license,

There is always the possibility that the final two points will get lost in the Garda system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

FX Meister wrote:
    Sorry, all I can do is laugh at you.

I have sympathy for anyone with points, whil I have none myself and many other people here don't, I'm sure if a gardai car was to follow me in one day of even careful driving I could get [insert maximum] depending on how pedantic the gardai were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

vector wrote:
    I have sympathy for anyone with points, whil I have none myself and many other people here don't, I'm sure if a gardai car was to follow me in one day of even careful driving I could get [insert maximum] depending on how pedantic the gardai were
    I used to have four myself. But to accumulate 8 is funny. He didn't stick to the speed limit, it's nobodies fault but his own. And then he couldn't be bothered waiting a couple of minutes for a light to change. Whats the rush?
    Your example of the Gardai following you for an entire day holds no water. It just wouldn't happen. But then are you trying to say you are a bad driver? If they followed me for a day the only thing they could give me points for is using a bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

FX Meister wrote:
    ...Your example of the Gardai following you for an entire day holds no water. It just wouldn't happen

I'm saying that if an unmarked garda car was to follow my car - or any other persons car who has zero points - lets say as an experiment for an entire day that points would be quickly accumulated.

too close to the car in front even in slow moving traffic “Failure to leave appropriate distance between you and the vehicle in front” 2 points, maybe you pulled out for a cyclist and two wheels crossed a continuous white line for a second “Crossing white lines” 2 points and lets add “Dangerous overtaking” 2 points, maybe you were unfamiliar with an area and drove almost stright over a ghost roundabout “Failure to turn vehicle left onto a roundabout” 1 point, maybe on a narrow street in a slow-paced tourist town you had to put two wheels on the footpath to pass a parked delivery truck “Contravention of restrictions of driving a vehicle on a footway” 1 point, maybe when coming to a stop sign you stopped with your front wheels just past the sign “Failure to stop at stop sign” 2 points.

gee 8 points

Advertisement