Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been googling for cat product. no luck, anyone know of such a thing as....

Options
  • 01-08-2006 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

A long handled litter-tray scooper?
    Looked at the ones for dogs but they are not grated, so litter wouldnt seive out thru them.
    They are also not built for clumping cat litter scrapage.

Basically looking for a veg strainer type thing with a handle long enough to reach the tray from a wheelchair.

b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Haven't seen one, but try getting in touch with the girl who runs www.mollys.ie she may be able to source one for you - she already has a list of items from another board of items that people want her to source so she may be able to find it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mabey fashioning your own might work, ie like something like a veg strainer and add on a wooden handle to it. Or those kids shovels mine has a wee shovel that would be about that lenght and the shovel itself isn't too big.
    Or something like this? http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Skimmers-c92g567.html?&User_ID=5309036&st=5130&st2=90204656&st3=-86895645 there are a few other options on that site. Although bit pricey for a pooper scooper might be worth it to make things handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eachtrannach

OK, this might get a few raised eyebrows and/or laughs:

Try your nearest Chinese supermarket (I shop at Oriental Emporium near the Jervis ...) and look for a "dumpling thing". It is a long-handled implement to get dumplings out of frying fat. Some might be useful for your problem - though most seem to have a rather large "net structure" that would be only suitable for the most major jobs. On the other hand one of these "sieve spoons" for professional cooks might do. Excuse the rather vague terms, no idea what they are called (... is Darina Allen in this forum?).

On the other hand (makes this the third hand, but what the heck) - get a sturdy litter scraper and epoxy a length of plastic or copper piping from your nearest hardware store to it - and if you are very image-conscious get a nice can of paint and ... hey, a customised, pimped kitty-kleana!

BTW - while at the Chinese, better don't mention "for the cat" ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That item eachtrannach mentions is called a "wire seive" and you can pick them up in most homeware stores with varying handle lengths.

Another alternative, recommended by an American Friend of mine is this:
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441809900&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302047565&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1154597452542&itemNo=0&In=ALL&N=2047565&Ne=2

It's a self cleaning litter tray, but you can read up on it by following the link. Hope that helps.

That item eachtrannach mentions is called a "wire seive" ...

Thanks, Darina! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Thanks guys n gals.
    I got this vibrating litter scoop in petstop thursday (pricey).
    It helps a little as I still have to bend as much just not as often as it seives automatically...
    Tried a few different types of kitchen style seives, inevitably the ones that are the right lenght have totally unsuitable seive-parts for the scooping and seiving of cat litter. And the ones with great seive ends are too short.

I tried fixing various things to longer poles but it seems no matter where I tape them or how much duck tape I use, the lenght makes them bend and even break.

b

So you're sorted then ... good!
    I tried fixing various things to longer poles but it seems no matter where I tape them or how much duck tape I use, the lenght makes them bend and even break.

Anybody try this, please bear in mind: You need epoxy glue (the "mix two parts" variety), not Duck Tape (yea, I know it holds the universe together ...), then a sturdy (non-bendy and low-breaky) tube (copper piping for heating/water is ideal, but you might get away with a plastic tube, provided wall thickness is quite strong). Clean and degrease scoop and tube, cut scoop to fit tube (maybe slide tube in scoops existig handle), and use maximum surfaces possible to glue together. Wait. Wait another day. Should do the job ...

Why is this never done by Tommy Walsh ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MsKitty

Hello; I am new to the site and I realize I'm responding to an older post requesting information. I am disabled and had the same frustrating issues with pet care. Try www.kittykaddy.com or call 800.995.6327 and they will send you a brochure of pet care tools adapted for use by those of us with physical limitations, in a wheelchair, etc. The long-handled litter scoop is 31" and has an ergonomically correct rake to make scooping easy from any angle.
    Hope this helps others of us with the same problems.

Advertisement