Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 6680 - cracked screen- how to fix?

• 01-08-2006 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I have a NOKIA 6680 on the three network.
    This phone has given lots of trouble since day one, poor network coverage -- people trying to ring but can't get through, ringing the phone myself in my own bloody house on the landline and getting no reply.

I phoned three about this and some tech support person said "...just turn it off once a day to help the software re-load, as the phone has a tendency to 'hang' like a computer " i.e. freeze and do nothing.
    I asked him where it says in the NOKIA manual to turn the phone off to help it re-load ... he said he had advised lotrs of people to do this and their phone worked no problem afterwards.
    - what a load of crap
    I tried this today - turning the phone off amd on. ckecked phone this
    evening - no missed calls.
    turned it on and off at about 10 o clock and a voicemail alert came via text .
    I had missed an important call at 8.00 pm , a fella I was waiting to ring me.

This is very frustrating, the three customer service are very unhelpful,.
    this has been going on for the guts of a year...

to add insult to injury thee phone fell from the desk I am sitting at and its face - the plastic got cracked in a lovely star formation.

Is there any way of getting this fixed. the LCD is fine, the plastic screen above is just cracked.

Three say that because the phone is cracked the NOKIA warranty no longer applies- the whole thing is an absolute balls.

they offered me the 6280 for €129 as an upgrade, I'm not sure I can handle being in contract with them for another year with ****e coverage, service etc. etc.

Any advice will be greatly accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

To add to this, if you were in my position , ie with a bad phone in the market for a new phone which would you CHOOSE
    My criteria is
    Good and reliable network coverage
    1 cost
    2 camera
    3 MP3

I have a Vodafone 6680 and never had any of the problems you mentioned. However, if the LCD is ok maybe a new fascia will do the trick? You can change the covers on the 6680.

If that is all you need then your Nokia warranty is fine, I'd suggest you get a firmware upgrade for it. If your phone is under warranty any Nokia service centre will do it free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Housing-Cover-PINK-Fascia-Case-Keypad-for-NOKIA-6680_W0QQitemZ220012779454QQihZ012QQcategoryZ57254QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you don't have to get the pink one :)

i got one delivered from hong kong for €7 a while ago. the paint wore off but its grand besides that. you'll need these instructions:

http://www.lewisroberts.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/6680_replace_guide.pdf

don't mind 3 about turning it off. i got one with dodgy software. they kept telling me to turn it off. i eventually just sent it back cos it kept freezing every few minutes. the new one's fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If your phone is having other problems and phone under warranty then send it to MPRC (http://www.mprc.ie) and they will repair it for free.
    Otherwise pick up a nokia branded fascia on eBay, the other non-nokia ones have trouble fitting (some of them anyway).

Ruu wrote:
    If your phone is having other problems and phone under warranty then send it to MPRC (http://www.mprc.ie) and they will repair it for free.
    Otherwise pick up a nokia branded fascia on eBay, the other non-nokia ones have trouble fitting (some of them anyway).
    mine fit alright but the front camera cover fell off about two days later. had to glue it back on :)

• Advertisement

Thank you all fro your help and suggestions , was talking to THREE again today twice!!.
    The area I live in is just not getting good enough coverage, so I have left the THREE network -- it was a total disaster.
    Commander Vimes I have bought a new fascia on EBAY, Idecided against the pink one in the end ;)

I am now thinking of getting the phone unlocked, is this straightforward with the 6680

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Thank you all fro your help and suggestions , was talking to THREE again today twice!!.
    The area I live in is just not getting good enough coverage, so I have left the THREE network -- it was a total disaster.
    Commander Vimes I have bought a new fascia on EBAY, Idecided against the pink one in the end ;)

I am now thinking of getting the phone unlocked, is this straightforward with the 6680

Only your network can unlock a 6680.

definitely not. only three can unlock it and they won't do it. i'm this close---><---- to phoning up comreg about them lying to me about not having the software to unlock it

I am in agreement with you Commander Vimes< I am going complain to COMREG about this, their coverage in my area is very bad ( I can't use my phone properly) - they have cnfirmed this by telling me that there is nothing wrong with my SIM or the 6680 itself and that the prob. must be a 'coverage issue'.

SO I have given them notice to discontinue the contract. I then phoned up to ask for the unlocking code and the drone on the phone said that they were unable to unlock the phone "...at the moment..." :mad: this was like a red flag to a bull, but I calmly:( asked him what does "...at the moment..." mean ??? you can't unlock it today, this week , this month, this year ???.)
    His informative reply was that they are unable to unlock it "...at the moment..." !!!

I am going to complain to COMREG because after a year of pitiful covergae and service I am saddled with an obselete €250 phone that is just less than a year old.
    An absolute disaster.

I knew that would happen. 3 don't unlock phones, one reason why I'd never do business with them.

• Advertisement

I am in agreement with you Commander Vimes< I am going complain to COMREG about this, their coverage in my area is very bad ( I can't use my phone properly) - they have cnfirmed this by telling me that there is nothing wrong with my SIM or the 6680 itself and that the prob. must be a 'coverage issue'.

SO I have given them notice to discontinue the contract. I then phoned up to ask for the unlocking code and the drone on the phone said that they were unable to unlock the phone "...at the moment..." :mad: this was like a red flag to a bull, but I calmly:( asked him what does "...at the moment..." mean ??? you can't unlock it today, this week , this month, this year ???.)
    His informative reply was that they are unable to unlock it "...at the moment..." !!!

I am going to complain to COMREG because after a year of pitiful covergae and service I am saddled with an obselete €250 phone that is just less than a year old.
    An absolute disaster.
    they've been saying that to me since the day they launched. if you're on the edge of a 3g mast's coverage your problem could be that its trying to latch onto the weak 3g signal rather than the strong 2g signal. i have a program that lets you select 2g coverage only, a feature which 3 have disabled. do you want it so you can test it out?

they've been saying that to me since the day they launched. if you're on the edge of a 3g mast's coverage your problem could be that its trying to latch onto the weak 3g signal rather than the strong 2g signal. i have a program that lets you select 2g coverage only, a feature which 3 have disabled. do you want it so you can test it out?

I would definitely be interested in testing this out as, they have also used that excuse. saying that my phone has been in no-man's land between the 3G and 2G signal. can you PM me or post the details here.
    thanks
    Goll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement