Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Dublin clubs??

• 01-08-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm moving to Dublin again in a week or so. I've been out of the country for ages and am now back down the country soon to return to the big shmoke.

I will come out an admitt to my embarassement that I know little and have seen less of the EL.

I have however been going about rectifying this situation. I'm getting to grips with all the names and happenings now, I generally catch it whenever it's on TV and am a regular visitor to the sites that cover it.

As an aside here I'll just mention that the first thing I did was sign up to the FAI weekly newsletter which I've NEVER EVER recieved. I've considered writing a mail to the useless pricks but it will probably never be read.

Anyway here's the big question.

As I said I'm moving back to Dublin and I want to go to games weekly.
    I have no loyalties to any Dublin clubs at the moment so who do I go to.

Things I'm looking for are:

Entertaining football....not always win, just ambitious in the way they play
    Atmosphere at games...this does not mean snarling maniacs
    Easy enough to reach
    Comfortable grounds

Suggestions please????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

There's none more entertaining than Shels at the moment, 14 goals for no reply in the last three games, but then the lack of a crowd might put you off.

Where you gonna be living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There's none more entertaining than Shels at the moment, 14 goals for no reply in the last three games, but then the lack of a crowd might put you off.

Where you gonna be living?

Actually it'll be north dublin city, Would be close to Shels(for the moment:D ).
    Any other clubs in the area...:o very ignorant

The only thing that would put me off Shels is the success, I'd like someone who's a bit of a struggle to go see, someone who leaves me cursing them at the end of half the matches. That said the current financial situation could leave them in a bad way before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

probably bohs is your best bet so. id imagine there will be plenty of cursing :D , and dalymount is a decent stadium. (by el standards). shels will soon be leaving tolka for santry i think? which is not currently a nice placec to watch football...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Shels in Tolka possibly closest play decent football, coffins have more life in them than Tolka. Will win the league so good time to start supporting them.

Bohs in Dalymount , Victor Meldrew is a Bohs fan and also his teachings are a must if you want to be one, if say you are 3-0 up and totally destroying your local rivals ...you must A demand the manager be sacked or B boo your players for a misplaced pass.

Pats in Inchcore one bus from town more maybe if your close to Shels.... we just want it more , play nice football sometimes but generally we win by wanting it more ;) Can leave the ground at half time for a pint and get back in!!!!

UCD somewhere

Would say Rovers but they in the 1st division and dont count :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

But he did say no snarling maniacs ;) so thats bohs ruled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

For entertaining football it would have to be Shels right now , crowd is small enough though(around 1,200 i'd say)

Tolka is one of the nicer El stadiums , and it would be easy for you to reach .

The atmostphere wouldn't be the best though due to the size of the crowd and although they would be favourites to win the league title Cork , Derry and Drogheda might have something to say about that .

So Shels are very good on 3 out of your 4 criteria but quite poor on the other one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

The problem is the persistance to use the New Stand as a base for the vocal support - can't hear it past the chipper! That said, its different in the stand - very loud, it doesn't get picked up well in either other stand, but is loud and clear in the Ballybough end (must be the way its designed).

Come down to the Cark game on the 12th August, should be a good display, on and off the pitch! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Parking is poor at Tolka Park and the atmosphere is sh1te. Dalymount is a better location and you also get teams other than Boh's playing there - Drogs this week I think.

No sign of Shel's moving just yet.

Are you a young lad going alone or a family man. There's alway's good craic in Phibsboro before/after Boh's games and they travel well too. None of that with Shel's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

gosplan wrote:
    Actually it'll be north dublin city, Would be close to Shels(for the moment:D ).
    Any other clubs in the area...:o very ignorant

The only thing that would put me off Shels is the success, I'd like someone who's a bit of a struggle to go see, someone who leaves me cursing them at the end of half the matches. That said the current financial situation could leave them in a bad way before too long.
    Here is my glad-you-asked tuppenceworth.
    The only north Dublin national league premier division club is Bohemian FC. Shels are blow-ins from Irishtown. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise :D
    Bohs teams usually try to play football, but we've had a disastrous season so far and desperation can set in at times. To see Joxer Kelly play is, alone, worth the admission, but Wardie, Aidan O'Keeffe and new signing Paul Devlin are also a joy to watch. Kevin Hunt, aka God, is the quintessential midfield maestro.
    Bohs fans are (harrumph!) knowledgeable and passionate, and can be hard to please, especially when we are up against teams we should be tanking. Of late, Bohs tend to play to the level of the opposition, and that is difficult to take. But when we play one of the top four (e.g. $hels next week) or when we meet the Shams, everyone, but everyone, gets behind the team. I've seen Bohs teams applauded off the pitch, and applauded back on when they come out to cool down, after losing to Shelbourne, something that happens all too often recently.
    Bohs home facilities are decent and civilised, with a comfy stand big enough to let you choose whether you want to be hard core or family man.
    Bohs is a proper club and from what you have said above you sound like a potential proper fan. It'd be a shame to waste you on Shels.

PS: You can see Longford try to kick seven shades of black 'n' red out of us at Dalymount on Friday evening. Or you can join Bohs fans outnumbering Shelbourne's tiny support at Tolka in the League Cup semi-final on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

As someone who has moved to Dublin recently, I have been to matches in all the Dublin venues this season.

Plus I have seen the away supports in action.

Shels : Despite what people say there is a good atmosphere at Shels matches for such a small crowd. They are also a team that wins more than loses.

Pats : Pats is real local club that seem to be getting their act together on and off the pitch recently. Ground is probably one of the best in the country for creating atmosphere, rare enough that this happens though.

Bohs : Nice ground, nice bars, play good football, but their fans are too impatient for my liking and have a habit of booing players and managers.

Rovers : They would be my pick if I was looking for a team to follow. Massive potential. Amazing support for away trips and a real “us against the world” feeling that might get you the bug of supporting them more than a Shels or a Bohs.

UCD : Play good football, but are not fanatical in the way a good club should be. If you want to have a chat and enjoy the vast grounds of the UCD campus then college are for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rovers : They would be my pick if I was looking for a team to follow. Massive potential. Amazing support for away trips and a real “us against the world” feeling that might get you the bug of supporting them more than a Shels or a Bohs.

If you want real passion, real heart and fans who would do anything for their club, Rovers are the only option. It's not just a game, it's Rovers.

Thing is, you can't be told what supporting Rovers is like as it's impossible to put into words, just go to one game (may I suggest the cup match against Booooez on August 25) and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Shels are out; big time charlies

UCD are out: spent a lot of time in colleges already/would rather family club

I think it's really going to be between Pats or Boh's and Boh's may have the edge due to history and support.

Then again if/when Rovers are promoted, I can claim status as a proper fan and say 'I remember going to games in the first division'...after only half a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

"Amazing" away support would be largely due to the novelty factor of the First Division. Having said that, Rovers do tend to get more fans at away games than at home games, a by-product of not having a stable home ground I suppose.

Thing is though, people don't hate Rovers as much as they make out. Everywhere they go, fans from that team are quick to post slushy messages about how well-behaved they were and how wasn't it great that they didn't wreck the place and rape the locals. Bohs, on the other hand, are roundly disliked for having the courage to demand change (usually in terms of the manager, the most recent appointment was a costly error) when it's necessary. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

i doubt you'll have long to wait to see rovers in the top flight again, one way or another tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

gosplan wrote:
    I think it's really going to be between Pats or Boh's and Boh's may have the edge due to history and support.

Then again if/when Rovers are promoted, I can claim status as a proper fan and say 'I remember going to games in the first division'...after only half a season.

Unless you like booing, supporter infighting and constant moaning, stay away from Booooooo(hs).

Rovers will almost certainly be promoted next season. Not only are they top of the First Division but they will more than likely go up regardless of where they finish thanks to the FAI taking charge of the league and forming a new 'Premiership.'

Pat's? Well I've nothing particularly bad to say about them. They're a well run, nice family club with some good players and some decent fans, but well........they're a bit milky and bland. Kinda like the Charlton of Dublin clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Unless you like booing, supporter infighting and constant moaning, stay away from Booooooo(hs).
    Not going to get into the usual silly slanging match here.
    Suffice to say that I'd also have a lot of time for Pats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i've been in the same position for a while now. As a northern blow in a few years back (go on Newry City) i had very little clue as to the EL.

I've started doing what you've done, websites, papers etc and as I'm local to Pats i'm planning on adopting them (if they'll have me)

Been to quite a few Boh's games and its been good. If only the rest of the football "loving" public could be converted to the EL the garden could be so rosey.

What I'll probably do is go to Rovers/Bohs at the end of the month and see who impresses the most.

Also will try to catch Shels/Cork on the 12th and see if that impresses.

Sad question to ask but can anyone post here and let me know the quickest entrance to Dailymount and easiest way there. Know the area but not the streets to well.

If you ever need some info on figuring out Wexfords traffic system and where Wexford Park is I'll be only too happy to help in return.:D

Shaddup...Boggers RULE!!!

Where you heading from?

Best off going into the Jodi stand tomorrow, us Shels fans are confined to the open-air contrete slab that is the Connaught St end - and the weather forecasters predict rain! Joy! :) Nothing like a game in the rain, eh?! Either way, watch Bohs try to kick lumps out of human flesh, huzzah! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Walk up the North Circular and the entrance is through Dalymount Lane on your right just before Peters church, cant miss it with the crowds going in

http://www.bohemians.ie/maps.htm

gosplan wrote:
    Things I'm looking for are:

Entertaining football....not always win, just ambitious in the way they play
    Atmosphere at games...this does not mean snarling maniacs
    Easy enough to reach
    Comfortable grounds

Suggestions please????

Welcome to Bohs after that performance and atmosphere I take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Where you heading from?

Best off going into the Jodi stand tomorrow, us Shels fans are confined to the open-air contrete slab that is the Connaught St end - and the weather forecasters predict rain! Joy! :) Nothing like a game in the rain, eh?! Either way, watch Bohs try to kick lumps out of human flesh, huzzah! :o

Did you see the foul on Caffo by any chance?? :mad:

Big Ears wrote:
    For entertaining football it would have to be Shels right now , crowd is small enough though(around 1,200 i'd say)

Tolka is one of the nicer El stadiums , and it would be easy for you to reach .

The atmostphere wouldn't be the best though due to the size of the crowd and although they would be favourites to win the league title Cork , Derry and Drogheda might have something to say about that .

So Shels are very good on 3 out of your 4 criteria but quite poor on the other one .

WHAT?!? 1,200 would ya cop on there. About 700 more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So were not sacking the manager this week? and not playing entertaining football?

Oh a day in the life of a Bohs fan......

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    So were not sacking the manager this week? and not playing entertaining football?

Oh a day in the life of a Bohs fan......

kdjac

Ooooh that was cold Kdjac, what did I do to you?

I am not a fan of Gareth Farrelly and I have said so on this board and another board I use. However bitching and whining about him will not get us far as he is there for remainder of the season.

Is that ok for you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Im no fan of Farrelly either but that doesnt mean that I cant support the team, we've beaten a top 4 side in the league for the 1st time in years, itll take more than 1 result for Farrelly to prove himself.

Couldn't even manage that without playing suspended players! :D

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Couldn't even manage that without playing suspended players! :D

McGuinness is our weak link, he also gifted you the lead by falling over, he also tried to give Crowe a "guilt-edged" equaliser as the Indo called it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement