Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a PSU

Options
  • 02-08-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm looking on getting a new PSU, preferably one i won't need to update within the next 5 years or so.

I presently have an Enermax Liberty 400w ATX2.0, which is pretty good, and kept me stable. But from reading around, this is going to be maybe just enough to power the next gen vga cards alone (2x7900GTX need 380w :eek:)

So whats your recommendations for stability, future proofing and efficiency.

I'm looking at the Enermax Liberty 620w which looks pretty stable and good in reviews. But will 620w be enough? I mean will I be needing to get a 1kw PSU for DX10 SLi, Conroe OC'd systems?

Any other recommendations for different makes of PSU's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Seasonic -- very stable, well-built & highly efficient PSUs.
    Komplett have 430, 500 & 600W models last I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

new 800W models are now starting to hit the market. before long they will be what ? 1MW ( 1000W ) or is it a KW ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

anti wrote:
    new 800W models are now starting to hit the market. before long they will be what ? 1MW ( 1000W ) or is it a KW ?

:eek: jeez, you could power your house on 1MW... thats 1,000,000w's. Clickme

Tnx for the advice guys, i'll look at the OCZ and Seasonic PSU's as the Enermax ones are pretty steep in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I have the GameXSteam 700W and its rock solid. The reviews have also been exceptionally good for it too. I'd stick to either that or a Seasonic however as I'm sure you're aware, things are going to get pretty hefty power wise in the next year or so, so I definitly wouldnt go below 600W if you want it to last. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tis funny.
    Newer manufacturing process = smaller size = lower power needs
    AND
    Newer manufacturing process = higher speeds = higher power needs

At least it was until recently -- glad to see Intel step out of that one :D

Advertisement