Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Greyhound Derby

Options
  • 02-08-2006 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

As I'm sure everyone is aware of, The Derby starts tonight with heats 1-7 been run. I thought i'd post my selections, and thoughts, so lets see if I can guide anybody on their way to a few winners. Here goes nothing!!

Heat 1(Race 5 8.55)
    The puppy derby winner Greenwell Storm(Trap 1) will be a hot favourite here for Fraser Black but at the likely cramped odds,4/6, a small bet on Dalcash Valley(Trap 4) @ 9/2 is advised. Brian Madigans tracker led for most of the trip over 575 on Saturday when just touched off by Heart Rumble in 31.38 btn 1L. The Return to 550 will pose no problem and he may lead all.

Heat 2(Race 6 9.10)
    Tyrur Kitten(Trap 4) should win this heat. The daugther of Brett lee and staroftheshow has had a busy campaign after running in the Ladbrokes 600, The Oaks and The Champion Stakes but she ran gallent in defeat on Saturday night posting a very fast 29.92(btn a neck) for the 550tyd trip and a repeat of that should see her score.

Heat 3(Race 7 9.25)
    Superhods Hero(Trap 1) will be a short priced favourite to land this heat but preference is for the Clonmel track record holder Swahili Eile(Trap 2). This tracker has 13 wins from 22 starts and with a fine mixture of early pace and stamina, it's almost certain he'll improve on his 30.33 550yrd solo trial from last week.

Heat 4(Race 8 9.40)
    This is the trapiest race of the night which features the return of Greenwell Storm to action after a lengthy layoff. He clocked 31.02 for the 570yrd trip at Harolds Cross last October which is undoubtably the best line of form on offer. He has however only ran three races since the lastest been a dismal effort behind coolboy george over 525yrd at Limerick (29.80). Although his lastest trial will offer encouragemnt to those willing to take the Even money about him i'm tipping Macniler(Trap 3) in the hope he can find the form that took him 2 1/2l off the Derby Favourite Droopys Electric in February. MAgna Vaghan(Trap 1) could run well if leading from the off at 10/1

Heat 5(Race 9 9.55)
    With Holborn Major (Trap 5) been reported a NR this looks at the mercy of The St Leger Champion Indesackjack (Trap 3). Although he's yet to win at Shelbourne 0/4, his 29.60 run 550yrds when winning the Leger shows that he's a class act and anything even remotely near that run will see him score here.

Heat 6(Race 10 10.10)
    Si Senor(Trap 4) NAP took the breath away when storming home over 525yrds in 28.40 on Saturday and is tipped to score. He faces sterner opposition in this heat with proven Trackers Droopys Stacey(Trap 1)and Dark Davy (Trap 3) but he has enormous potential and amazing back straight pace and although he's only graced the track on 5 occasions, he ciuld turn into a real contenter for this title (25/1 with Paddy Power outright).

Heat 7 (Race 11 10.25)
    Ardfert Billy (Trap 4) N.B is a class act and will take all the beating in the concluding heat of the night. Although he has a layoff to overcome his latest trial of 28.73 shows he's in good form with himself. Droopys Leroy(Trap 5) may give him most to do and might be worth a punt without the favourite.

Well there you have it. If anybody has anything to add feel free. I hope anybody who follows my advise wins a few bob but if you don't OH WELL :D

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i have a Form guide at home, (in czech rep at present) will post stuff up when i get home next week....

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

What happened Ardfert Billy last night ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Evolution136

Ardfert stumbled badly at the traps and was left 10 lengths. Ran like a hurt dog and finished tailed off.

A poor start, both punting and tipping:eek: , but lets hope tonight heats are more favourable.

Race 5 Heat 8 8.55
    A tight heat to start off tonight with Paul Hennessy represented by half of the field. Galdare Romeo (Trap 2) is just prefared to Dooree Damsel (Trap 6). Romeo finished just 3l off Goldstar Lee, runs later on, in the Champion Plate final and a repeat performance should see him score.

Race 6 Heat 9 9.10
    The Champion Plate winner Goldstar Lee (Trap 2) is difficult to oppose but this race features a host of ealry paced greyhounds with The Longford Derby winner Dustin Fox (Trap 4) and Kanes Blue (Trap 5). The run to the first bend is vitally important here but Goldstar Lee is fancied to make all. Volcano Jo (Trap 1) is a dog with huge ability also and may well be worth a bet without Goldstar at around 4/1.

Race 7 Heat 10 9.25
    Bar The Devil (Trap 1) NAP is fancied to lead all. The Kieron Fallon owned tracker was on his way to handing out a beating to Large Mac, The Champion Stakes winner, until stumbling badly at the second bend. He's had a few weeks off since that incident and he should resume winning ways here.

Race 8 Heat 11 9.40
    This heat sees the return of the Produce Stakes Champion Eskimo Jack (Trap 6) to action but he faces stiff competition in the form of Astronomic (Trap 5) and he is marginally preferred in a trappy looking heat. The run to first bend is vital here once again with the above mentioned being flying early pace greyhounds as well as Talinn from trap 4. All three greyhounds are wide seeds so there is the possibility of trouble here and should that be the case Cavies Topper (trap 2) could take advantage at a big price.

Race 9 Heat 12 9.55
    With Killough Billy (Trap 5) failing to impress in his latest trial, Trey United (Trap 6) N.B is readily preferred. This huge tracker has won over a variety of distances and his latest trial suggests he's ready for action. Broadacres Rock (Trap 1) could be worth a wager without the favourite.

Race 10 Heat 13 10.10
    Distant Sparky (Trap 1) is classy enough to take advantage of a brilliant draw from the inside. Many people deemed this bitch unlucky not to qualify for The Oaks Final and she showed her undoubted class when winning The Consolation Oaks. Coolboy George (Trap 4) was runner in The Leger and will be interesting to see how he handles Shelbourne on his first look around.

Race 11 Heat 14 10.25
    This looks a match between Skywalker Magic (Trap 5) and Blackstone Gold (Trap 6). Skywalker beat Blackstone just over a length on Saturday but at the likely odds I recommend Blackstone to extract his revenge tonight.

So there it is 7 more heats tipped up lets hope I make back my losses from last night. Gl

Ok I missed out last Saturdays final batch of preliminary heats but I can assure you i'd have tipped a few winners. Tonight it's the First Round proper and some very very interesting races in prospect. No big analysis this time just the tips.

Heat 1 Race 4 8.40
    Trap 6 Blackstone Gold

Heat 2 Race 5 8.55
    Trap 3 Droopys Tobey

Heat 3 Race 6 9.10
    Trap 2 Ardkill Jamie

Heat 4 Race 7 9.25
    Trap 1 Swahili Eile NAP

Heat 5 Race 8 9.40
    Trap 3 Lime Juice

Heat 6 Race 9 9.55
    Trap 3 West Tipp

Heat 7 Race 10 10.10
    Trap 5 Distant Sparky N.B

Heat 8 Race 11 10.25
    Trap 1 Tyrur Paschal

Best of luck . :D

• Advertisement

Well following Thursday dismal display a career as a tipster is out the window but God loves tryer so here we go again!!

Heat 9 Race 4 8.40
    Trap 4 Droopys Leroy

Heat 10 Race 5 8.55
    Trap 5 Si Senor (N.B)

Heat 11 Race 6 9.10
    Trap 1 Goldstar Lee

Heat 12 Race 7 9.25
    Trap 1 Tyrur Kitten

Heat 13 Race 8 9.40
    Without a doubt the race of the derby so far with the top two in the market, The defending champion He Said So (Trap 1) and Droopys Electric (Trap 5) marginal preference for He Said So.

Heat 14 Race 9 9.55
    Trap 4 Dustin Fox

Heat 15 Race 10 10.10
    Trap 4 Bar The Devil (NAP)

Heat 16 Race 11 10.25
    Trap 4 Noirs Ted

gl.

Slightly better results last Saturday which included a 3/1 winner:eek: Round 2 tonight and here's the selections.

Heat 1 Race 4 8.40
    Trap 4 Bar The Devil

Heat 2 Race 5 8.55
    Trap 2 Ballyhoe Marble

Heat 3 Race 6 9.10
    Trap 5 Noirs Ted

Heat 4 Race 7 9.25
    Trap 1 Swahili Eile (NAP)

Heat 5 Race 8 9.40
    Trap 2 Heart Rumble

Heat 6 Race 9 9.55
    Trap 5 Distant Sparky

Heat 7 Race 10 10.10
    Trap 1 Si Senor (N.B)

Heat 8 Race 11 10.25
    Trap 2 Holborn Post

Gl.

perfect, Just Checked IGB.IE and my reverse forcast in the 4th race won out!

Trap 4 BAR THE DEVIL and Trap 2 KINGSMILL BLACK, not to shabby with a tenner on it each way!

Quarter Finals time and this is where it gets exciting.

Heat 1 Race 8 9.40
    As with all the heats tonight, the favourites are likely to be very short prices. Bar The Devil (TRAP 5 NAP) looks a real class act and hasn't put a foot wrong so far. His 29.69 last week was a fine effort considering he didn't lead until the back straight. From a betting perspective, a punt on Inthesacjack (TRAP 1) W/O Bar The devil looks the value.

Heat 2 Race 9 9.55
    Razldazl Billy (TRAP 2) has been less than convincing the past two weeks, but it will be a bitter disappointment if he can't land the spoils tonight. Provided he traps right he should lead the inside and make all. Lime Juice (TRAP 5) can chase him home.

Heat 3 Race 10 10.10
    The Reigning champion He Said So (TRAP 3) has been simply outstanding throughout this competition and will be a worthy favourite tonight. I however am taking a chance in tipping Swahili Eile (TRAP 1). Maybe it's because I've backed him at long odds at 50/1 for the competition but he certainly represents the value in a hot contest. Holborn Post (TRAP 2) can complete the trio.

Heat 4 Race 11 10.25
    The brilliant Si Senor (TRAP 1) N.B can make all. For a dog so inexperienced, he has shown outstanding pace to land his last two races and his time of 29.57 last week for a dog having his eight race is something right out of the top drawer ( 2l and shd off the track record of 29.42). He looks sure to lead all with two slow starters to his outside.

Best of luck.:D

It's Semi Final night and both heats, as expected, are top quailty races. Here's my thoughts.

Semi Final 1 Race 9 9.55
    This heat features the top two in the market in the shape of He Said So (TRAP 1) and Bar The Devil (TRAP 5). A quick break is essential for both but with Bar The Devil being drawn with a slow starters each side he is selected to score. He Said So can chase him home wit the talented Razdazl Billy (TRAP 2) filling the final qualifying spot.

Semi Final 2 Race 10 10.10
    Holborn Post (TRAP 2) NAP can make all in this contest. An impressive winner last week when leadin up He Said So, the son of Judicial Post can be expected to be hard to beat tonight. Who'll chase him home is a tough one to answer though with there not being very much to choose between the other five runners. Tyrur Paddy (TRAP 3) showed signs of a return to form last week so maybe he'll be the one to chase home the selection followed by the stout stayer Trey United (TRAP 6)

Best of Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think bar the Devil is the one to win overall. Owned By Fallon and Dandy Nicholls and some others it would be a nice antidote for him to recent events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

I like antrim classic dont ya think hes really improved lately and running on very well?

Im still sitting sweet so far on bar the dvil at 33s tho

rag2gar wrote:
    I like antrim classic dont ya think hes really improved lately and running on very well?

Im still sitting sweet so far on bar the dvil at 33s tho
    He's as honest as the day is long that fellow. Has a stayers chance if it gets messy up front.

odds From Paddypower.com

If I was a gambleing man ( which i am) i'll Have my ton on Trap 4 Razldazl Billy.

@ 9-4 its a Decent price!

Any of you guys going to the final? if you are, its going to be PACKED! GET THERE EARLY!

odds From Paddypower.com

If I was a gambleing man ( which i am) i'll Have my ton on Trap 4 Razldazl Billy.

@ 9-4 its a Decent price!

Any of you guys going to the final? if you are, its going to be PACKED! GET THERE EARLY!

I've yet to miss a heat so i'll be damned if i'm gonna miss the final. Be aware, anybody who plans on going that this is an ALL TICKET affair. They can be purchased in the racing office at Shelbourne for 20 euros.

Its an open derby i would stay away from Hennessys dogs though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mr-unreal

Ur right its an open enough final, but Bar the Devil looks the one to beat. I never fancied Razldazl Billy really cos hes let me down so often and his breaking isnt half consistent enough. Now that hes injured further pushes me towards backin the devil. T1 aswell and has as much or even more early pace than the rest.

So I definitely think 4/7 for Bar the Devil to come home in front of Razldazl Billy is an absolute certainty!! I like Skywalker Magic to beat Trey United at 8/13 but not half as much as the 1st bet! What do ye think?

Any thoughts about He Said So? Im sickened he didnt qualify cos hes a top quality dog. Is he being retired now?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

ill be working there on saturday the final wont be too bad packed wise as its ticket only last year we werent half as busy as the semi and this year i think will be the same might have to make a few bets in the bookies tomorrow on the final

dermoMIO...

know of any tickets going? ;)

Bar the Devil looks to be the won to be - but its a poor Derby, its a shame He Said So is gone his retirement will probably depend on how many bitches he gets a stud. If there is a steady flow then he will retire. Raz Bill did well to get this far a i think he has been carrying injury for a while the fall he got was horrific i was surprised he got back to this level. Bare F Jen might have run her race in the Semi's. Antrim Classic is really to slow away and lacks class to pull back a good field, if the Devil got a got start and made the first 2 bends he would have to die before Ant caught him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

dermoMIO...

know of any tickets going? ;)

u can try poping into harolds x tonite or giving shelbourne a call in the morning im sure you will still be able to get tickets up to bout 6pm tomorrow otherwise buy off the desperate lads standing outside selling them as if its an important event there is usually 3or4 so called toutes standing around desperatly trying to flog them off

THE FINAL
    An interesting final even if it's not a top quality contest like the previous few years. This final all hinges on what Bar The Devil (TRAP 1) does at the traps. If breaking cleanly and running a straight line to the first bend he has the pace to lead all. The question is will he move middle to wide? If such a scenario occurs the final is thrown into the hands of Razldazl Billy (Trap 4). Barefoot Jenny (TRAP 2) has done well to get this afr and may have had her monet in the semis. The other Hennessy runner Antrim Classic (TRAP 3) doesn't have the sufficient early to win this race and the same applied to Both Skywalker MAgic (TRAP 5) and Trey United (TRAP 6). The last three mentioned need a plane crash upfront to be involved in the business end. Preference is for Bar The Devil to lead home Razldazl.

As for the undercard there's a few bets that stand out
    Race 6 Droopys Rodger (TRAP 1), will be a fair price to upset the likely favourite Large Mac (TRAP 6). He should lead all.

Race 7
    Si Senor (TRAP 3)

Race 10
    Shelbourne Kay (TRAP 2)

Race 11
    Loretto Sally (TRAP 3) NAP

Best of luck ppl.:D

Advertisement