Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got a twin cam 1.4 sunny

Options
  • 02-08-2006 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I got this yesterday. Wahey!

Anybody else have one, how much MPG should I expect it to do and what kind of problems if any should I expect from it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Mpg - 40 - 45. Less if you drive around town a lot, more if you just do long runs and don't drive too hard. Like any car, check the fluid levels. A sunny is a cheap car, and may have been neglected. So, the previous owner may not have checked the oil or water. When I got mine, the oil was under the minimum level. Make sure theres enough coolant as well. Bring it up just over the min mark. If you can't see it clearly, the coolant expansion tank clips out easily enough. Keep checking the level over time. Watch for leaks under the car. The water pump on my sunny went. It was just the seal on the pump, it managed to let all the coolant out very quickly one day. But really, its a very reliable car. If it has been minded at all, it should give you no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Actually a guy is after telling me all sunnys are twin cam. Is this correct?

Also, assuming petrol is 117.7 and assuming im getting 40mpg, I should get in or around 200 miles done for e25. That is very reasonable I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

40mpg, damm I'm getting about 26 from my Celica.

steve06 wrote:
    40mpg, damm I'm getting about 26 from my Celica.

According to Gerry, up to 45mpg! :D

Gerry wrote:
    Mpg - 40 - 45. Less if you drive around town a lot, more if you just do long runs and don't drive too hard. Like any car, check the fluid levels. A sunny is a cheap car, and may have been neglected. So, the previous owner may not have checked the oil or water. When I got mine, the oil was under the minimum level. Make sure theres enough coolant as well. Bring it up just over the min mark. If you can't see it clearly, the coolant expansion tank clips out easily enough. Keep checking the level over time. Watch for leaks under the car. The water pump on my sunny went. It was just the seal on the pump, it managed to let all the coolant out very quickly one day. But really, its a very reliable car. If it has been minded at all, it should give you no trouble.

So to be sure, the water pump is for pumping water through the rad and engine to keep it cool, right? And if this goes, my car will overheat, right?

Does the water pump need to be changed after a certain amount of time anyway?
    How often does the timing belt need to be done on a sunny? Could you do this yourself, I wonder?
    Would it be much of a job to change the water pump yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any nissan since around 92 is 16v dohc, great engines should go forever with no serious hassle.

Edit, afaik they have a timing chain and only need to to adjusted every 60k or so to stop them rattling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Yep they use timing chains instead of belts,ive seen sunnys with nearly 200k miles on them still going fine.The only problem i think thats common with them is there fuel pump knackering on high mileage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

mloc123 wrote:
    Any nissan since around 92 is 16v dohc, great engines should go forever with no serious hassle.
    Correct, afaik (even micras were twin cam well before many "cooler/sportier" cars)
    mloc123 wrote:
    Edit, afaik they have a timing chain.
    Correct, (except diesels)
    mloc123 wrote:
    and only need to to adjusted every 60k or so to stop them rattling.
    dunno bout that, worth checking if mine was ever done in it's 145K before I picked it up:confused:

Mine has power steering and central locking, pity no e/w. Grand car(for what it is, obviously tis no Bentley), grand engine. Shouldn't burn any oil but do change it regularily. Biggest expense lately? Fuel pump died a few hundred miles ago.

OK, eireal just psychicly preempted most of my post. Must type quicker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

junii wrote:
    So to be sure, the water pump is for pumping water through the rad and engine to keep it cool, right? And if this goes, my car will overheat, right?

Does the water pump need to be changed after a certain amount of time anyway?
    How often does the timing belt need to be done on a sunny? Could you do this yourself, I wonder?
    Would it be much of a job to change the water pump yourself?

Water pump: yes. If it stops pumping for whatever reason, or starts leaking, your car will overheat. No point in changing it until it starts to go. If you are in the habit of watching the temperature guage when driving, and check the car for leaks regularly, you'll be able to sort the problem before serious damage is caused. Its not a known weak point on the sunny, water pump could go on any car.
    Its not a terribly difficult job to change one, but it might seem difficult to someone who hasn't done any work on a car before. Do you see how difficult it is to answer that question?
    Timing chain: other people have answered this. It was rattling on mine, but never got worse. Rattle should only be noticeable at idle, if it doesn't go away when you rev it, get a mechanic to check the chain, or get a haynes manual and do it yourself.

Advertisement