Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claim affecting Insurance

Options
  • 02-08-2006 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if anyone would know roughly how much your insurance would go up by if i make a claim. I have a little damage on the side of my car where i hit it with a gate when parking in a driveway....(i know stupid woman!) It would cost a fair bit and know i cant afford it on my own so need to claim for it if i want a proper job done on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well you're a woman so you've less to worry about when making a claim anyway :)

You'll lose the NCB on the comprehensive part of your policy but you won't lose your NCB for the TP part which is where you're likely paying the most money.

You just need to figure out how much your comprehensive NCB is worth and see if it's worth more to you over the next few years than the cost of getting the side of the car fixed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Well, female over 25 I can't imagine your insurance going up that much. Unfortunately in Ireland one tends to be better off coughing up for the damage as you pay for it with premium increases in the future.

Why did you hit it with a gate? There are better ways to damage a car :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If your NCB which you've lost was 50%, then amazingly the premium will go up accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

If your NCB which you've lost was 50%, then amazingly the premium will go up accordingly.

How the f*** do they get away with this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's just the way it is junii.

You can effect extra cover to protect your NCB btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

You should also check what your excess is. If you've got a €400 excess and the damage will cost €700 it really is not worth going through the insurance company to save €300 and lose your NCB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Throw a pic of the damage up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

Slaanesh wrote:
    Well, female over 25 I can't imagine your insurance going up that much. Unfortunately in Ireland one tends to be better off coughing up for the damage as you pay for it with premium increases in the future.

Why did you hit it with a gate? There are better ways to damage a car :P

It was Christmas Day and I was all excited!! :p

jonny24ie wrote:
    Throw a pic of the damage up!!

Have to wait until 1pm when im on my lunch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Differant companies have differant procedures, you may have stepback NCB which means your bonus will go from 50% to 20% rather than going to 0.
    one thing to remember is that it'll take you a few years to earn back a full NCB bonus, so if you claim & your bonus is 20% next year it will be 30% the year after then 40% then back to 50% so you should also bear that in mind when working out how much this will set you back. You will still be paying that little bit extra for a few years due to the loss of NCB rather then keeping the full 50% & paying the damage yourself.
    Its sounds easier in my head then typing out!!!!

• Advertisement

i think i get ya Keith! just need to get a few quotes and see how much it is likely to cost me .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As i said Bitsie, throw up a pic (Preferably hosted on tinypic) and I will try get you a decent price for repair!! ;)

jonny24ie wrote:
    As i said Bitsie, throw up a pic (Preferably hosted on tinypic) and I will try get you a decent price for repair!! ;)

Like i said i have to wait until 1pm until im on my lunch and i can go out and take a pic.......patience my dear!! ;)

No problem!!

21ord7d.jpghave a look!

Ouch!!! Ring Carcraft and get a quote off them, anywhere you ring will request you go out to see them to get a quote. I will PM you a number of a fella i know aswell!!

carcraft said they didnt do dents that big!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

It looks like an old car, I wouldn't bother getting it fixed professionaly. You will probably only ding it again in a few weeks. Just get a repair kit from halfords, and ensure it protectd against corrosion. If you put some primer/fibre glass/touch up paint it should look ok. As Dubstub pointed out you will be paying for a chunk of it it either way in the form of your excess if you claim.

Its not an old car, its on 02 Polo, hubcaps are off it for the NCT and im actually a good driver despite this!! And have to get it fixed for NCT re-test

• Advertisement
Advertisement