Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5th Gear

Options
  • 02-08-2006 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Is it true 5th gear saves on petrol? When should one actually go into 5th gear, at what speeds? Should one go into 5th gear whilst driving dual carriageways for example, s.l. 80km/ph?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It generally depends on the engine, gear ratios and RPM AFAIK, there's no definitive answer, but I would think that that about 90 km/h on 5th gear would give maximum efficiency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

5th gear saves Fuel(if used correctly) becuase it allows the engine to turn over at a lower speed,

What speed to go into it depends on the gearing and engine in the car, but you would normally be in it at 80kph unless overtaking or trying to pick up speed quickly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't the rule for all gears is to drive at as low a rev range as is safely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I drive in 5th gear depending on the road conditions. If it's a straight and safe road with a limit of 50 up, I'll drive in 5th gear. It saves petrol and the car sounds just fine when in 5th at 50km. I've done advanced driving courses and they say for 50km, you should be in 3rd gear and in some cases, 4th incase you need to react quickly, you will be better able to get out of a situation in a lower gear. I go by this rule depending on the road conditions.

Is it actually bad for your car to be in 5th at 50km?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

cormie wrote:

i was wondering that too. i generally only go intoo 5th at at least 60 - 70 km/ph....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Labouring the engine is every bit as bad for it and fuel economy as over revving it.

Optimum engine speed for changing gear will vary car to car, and will also depend on road conditions, hills, etc.

To make the best use of the engines pull upshifts should be made at the peak of torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Buy an autobox and let your car take the responsibility.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

as soon as the engine gets a little louder and revs up above 3000 rpm, I use 5th gear. I Usually drive in 4th gear

You get a feeling for it after a while...;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why? Fifth at 2000 rpm is grand.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

cormie wrote:
    I wouldn't necessarily say that it's bad, but you'd be heading towards labouring the engine at that speed. Normally when revs drop below about 1300rpm you're begining to labour the engine, so you should go into a lower gear, to keep the revs up.

I would normally change into 5th at just over 60km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What about poor old 6th gear? :D

I don't have a rev counter, but I generally keep the same smoothness the whole time I'm driving. I can hear the revs going more in 4th at 50km, more than they should be, honestly, I don't know, but it feels right to be in 5th at 50km, or a little above anyway. Of course for hills etc, I'll go down/up them in different gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is it true 5th gear saves on petrol? When should one actually go into 5th gear, at what speeds? Should one go into 5th gear whilst driving dual carriageways for example, s.l. 80km/ph?
    I don't think like that when driving. I know where the power is in the gear I'm in, what gear I'm in at what speed all depends on what I want to do with the car. My C4 has a KM per liter readout in fith gear doing 75km I get over 60km per liter sometimes it goes over 100 up to 999 but I'm guessing there fake readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I tend to stay in 4th around 3000rpm if im on a country road to be able to react to stuff but crusing on motorway 5th gives obvious best economy. I agree with the above though, for example going through a 30 limit in a town labouring the engine at only 1000-1500rpm is going to use more fuel.

By labouring do you mean for example, trying to take off after nearly coming to a hault, in 2nd gear, it takes ages and goes really slow but it will get there eventually?

I wouldn't do this at all and wouldn't labour for the sake of being in 5th gear. Same as above, dodgy country roads I'd be in 4th in a 60-80 zone. It all depends on the road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

galah wrote:
    as soon as the engine gets a little louder and revs up above 3000 rpm, I use 5th gear. I Usually drive in 4th gear

You get a feeling for it after a while...;-)
    Would you drive petrol or diesel, if diesel You must really screw your car, I don't think I have ever been above 2500 in any of my cars,even though mine are auto I find it totally unnessary to go above 2500 even at 120kph on the motorway.In my old camry at 3000 rpm I would probably be traveling at over 150kph.

Advertisement