Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which deck stain/preserve?

Options
  • 02-08-2006 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just spent 4 days putting the deck down, want to give it a bit of colour and a treatment. Can anyone recommend one? What do the pros use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Is it natural hardwood or pressure treated timber?

If hardwood then decking oil which protects but doesn't really stain/colour too much; richens it more than colours it. You might have lighter hardwood that you want to turn darker, in this case use decking stain
    If pressure treated timber, then a decking stain which will both colour and protect as wel.
    I've used cabots and ronseal in the past...dunno if you can get cabots here, you can definitely get ronseal. Expensive stuff IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I have a deck down about a year now and treated it with Cabots - beautiful product, went on very easy see http://www.colortrend.ie/colourcard-cabot.html

Painter has advised putting a second coat on to enrich it.

High recommended.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I have a softwood deck, and have treated it with Cuprinol Oak Stain Deck Oil, Very happy with the finished colour and seems to be working well as a protective coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

You don't have to stain it, just oil it, and you will get the best look of the grain and a bit of extra tint to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Its a softwood treated deck. Quite light in colour now, hint of green. Might try the cuprinol stuff. Whats the sprayable stuff like, waste of money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sprayable is fine, but it's highly recommend that you brush it out....spray coatings have a habit of forming surface tension and lying on top of the wood rather than soaking into it (which is what you want)...the result of the surface tension is that the film may dry and end up spliting or cracking prematurely, aloowing moisture to get in behind the protection.

Copper pressure treated pine will take stains pretty well, but I'd avoid oiling it until it's had a few stains over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

youz that have hardecking, can U tell me if you have problems with rodents. We've received conflicting reports with regards to the pest!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

emul wrote: »
    I have a deck down about a year now and treated it with Cabots - beautiful product, went on very easy see http://www.colortrend.ie/colourcard-cabot.html

Painter has advised putting a second coat on to enrich it.

High recommended.

Eoin

Using their stockist list, not many places supply the woodcare/cabots range. So do any other retails (not mentioned) which might provide the cabots range?

Thanks

W.

Advertisement