Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro?!?

• 02-08-2006 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,
    Sorry to wreck your heads as I m sure youve been asked this before but I m a little weary now after my Clearwire experiance to do some checking on my next provider.

Digiweb Metro will soon be in my area (Swords) and just wondering do they do anything that I should know about like blocking P2P or have crap speeds I n general?

Still trying to get ride of clear****, they seem to thinkif they ignore my requests to cancel I ll just give up :mad:

Thanks in advance for any info

Goose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 veris

I have a very good knowledge of your prev supplier cw and dodgeweb you will find you will have big problems with dodgeweb .They all have problems with people using p2p files shareing etc.But they will kill your connection dead in the water and you can spend up to 4-5 hours in there queuing system just to be told if is your fault. You will be better off staying were you are. Also they will tell you your connection will be done in a few weeks and take payment but you will still be sitting there in six months waiting for there installers to come and clime all over your building and run cable thought your building .It is messy but these people they have installing for them are not professional.I know this as I am in this bissness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

I take it you have Metro?
    I will be getting rid of clearwire no matter what.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

veris wrote:
    I am in this bissness

Quite so indeed , hope you read the muanal before you come out to do my gaff :D

Whats the story on you Bob,
    you waiting for your connection now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

veris wrote:
    I have a very good knowledge of your prev supplier cw and dodgeweb you will find you will have big problems with dodgeweb .They all have problems with people using p2p files shareing etc.But they will kill your connection dead in the water and you can spend up to 4-5 hours in there queuing system just to be told if is your fault. You will be better off staying were you are. Also they will tell you your connection will be done in a few weeks and take payment but you will still be sitting there in six months waiting for there installers to come and clime all over your building and run cable thought your building .It is messy but these people they have installing for them are not professional.I know this as I am in this bissness

pure lies

they do not have a problem with people using p2p files
    they will not kill your connection dead

if you go over your traffic quota you are capped, thats it

and the installers climb over your building?
    how do you expect them to install stuff, fly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

event wrote:
    pure lies

Indeed. I couldn't fault Digiweb's FWA service except for slightly variable ping times. I get better "1 Mbit speeds" than eircom customers who receive 105 KBps on downloads usually. I would get 115 to 120 KBps.

You, veris, sound like you have ulterior motives to tarnish Digiweb's name. I wonder who you work for...

You, veris, sound like you have ulterior motives to tarnish Digiweb's name. I wonder who you work for...

Thats what i was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Installation: Installed within 2 weeks (i ordered before christmas, had it installed by the 8th of January iirc). Guys were pretty fast, no problems there. Everything was done cleanly and quickly.

Connection: At it's very worst i think i was getting about 1.3meg with pings about 100ms, but that was only for a day here and there. Generally a solid 2.5megs is easily reachable, quite often maxing out at about 370-380kB/sec. Pings are usually pretty damn good, no complaints there. Only prob is that it's more expensive than ntl, which just became available in my area, so i might be jumping ship. Only thing stopping me ditching digiweb immediately is that i'm so happy with the connection itself!

Installation: Installed within 2 weeks (i ordered before christmas, had it installed by the 8th of January iirc). Guys were pretty fast, no problems there. Everything was done cleanly and quickly.

Connection: At it's very worst i think i was getting about 1.3meg with pings about 100ms, but that was only for a day here and there. Generally a solid 2.5megs is easily reachable, quite often maxing out at about 370-380kB/sec. Pings are usually pretty damn good, no complaints there. Only prob is that it's more expensive than ntl, which just became available in my area, so i might be jumping ship. Only thing stopping me ditching digiweb immediately is that i'm so happy with the connection itself!

Thanks Mutant_Fruit.
    They sound pretty good, so I think I ll be signing up.
    Thanks for yer responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

I've been on Eircom DSL for 2 years. Then moved out and used Clearwire - that didn't last long so i cancelled and signed up to metro. Honestly it's the best connection I've had to the web in Ireland, on it about 5 months now and honestly not one complaint. DL speeds always around the 200/250k mark and none of the nonsense associated with CW and Irish BB.

Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

well ive been on digiweb metro since january this year. Have no complaints about them there service is very reliable only ever been down twice that I know of. I get i have no problems with gaming, I dont use p2p that much so cant comment on that. download speeds are always about 340KBps+

Only thing I dont like is there rolling cap but i can live with that seen as its a decent service. I was even considering uping to the next package for the extra speed and download limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

How's the quality of the phone service at the moment? Is it as reliable as an eircom fixed line?

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Their phone service is good. I've had no problems for months. At first it was crap but it was fixed and now its working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Know I'm off topic didn't want to start a new thread. Anyone have any idea when metro will be in athlone? I heard some one say recently that Digiweb have stopped taking wireless orders because Metro is just around the corner. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a similar situation in Drogheda. Have any of the Digiweb reps on boards anything to say about the two towns and metro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Stokolan wrote:

Only thing I dont like is there rolling cap

sorry, going to have a blonde moment.... whats a rolling cap?

Wanton wrote:
    whats a rolling cap?
    a dysfunctional contraceptive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Does anybody have experience with Digiweb metro around Applewood, Sandford Woods in Swords?! Are they any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wanton wrote:
    sorry, going to have a blonde moment.... whats a rolling cap?
    Always the last 30 days, not a Calendar Month. Fairer on everyone.

watty wrote:
    Always the last 30 days, not a Calendar Month. Fairer on everyone.

So you have to wait 30 days to get in?! And is it realiable, just heard people complaining about IBB, Clearwire and ICE - so Digiweb seems to be a alternative...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I'm thinking of signing with Digiweb myself, which is why I'm reading this thread. Useful. Thanks, folks.

As for rolling cap, Hody, I presume it means the use your first day online as Day 1 and reset your quota/limit every 30 days thereafter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I think around 15 days is the usual install time these days. What the rolling cap means is that the traffic is counted by the last 30 days so my cap today is calculated from the 27th of may to today and tomorrow it will be from the 28th of may if you get what I mean?

if you bust your cap you are throttled to 128k until the day it rolls below 30gb or whatever it is

Sponge Bob wrote:
    if you bust your cap you are throttled to 128k until the day it rolls below 30gb or whatever it is

I think clearwire does the same, thay told me, if I go over the transfer limit, my speed would be reduced. Seems IBB are the only ones without a cap...

Clearwire throttle you anyway and block all your vpns and stuff ...whether you reach the cap or not.

They are one of the worst carriers in Ireland, its the "American Way" like the man sez.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Clearwire throttle you anyway and block all your vpns and stuff ...whether you reach the cap or not.

They are one of the worst carriers in Ireland, its the "American Way" like the man sez.

:mad: Gringos, like my wife would say. Good to know there is nothing on the page of Clearwire about that.

So if they are ruled out, that leaves me to IBB, ICE or Digiweb....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

ooh you are happey with them 30GB quota and after over quota your speed cold dead i m with them and i hate to go back to them as i m moving my place.

each time you ring about quota first question they ask about p2p software.

yes installer need to climb over building but not make m£$%£$ :mad:
    and how professional they are two polish came to install internet and they was drinking alcohol (very professional). :mad:

i would suggest try to get some dsl from eircom smarttelecom or any other but not wireless.

event wrote:
    pure lies

wasim21k wrote:
    ooh you are happey with them 30GB quota and after over quota your speed cold dead i m with them and i hate to go back to them as i m moving my place.

each time you ring about quota first question they ask about p2p software.

yes installer need to climb over building but not make m£$%£$ :mad:
    and how professional they are two polish came to install internet and they was drinking alcohol (very professional). :mad:

i would suggest try to get some dsl from eircom smarttelecom or any other but not wireless.

Drinking booze while doing the install, you are joking, dont you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

no i m not.
    not just drinking in van or something even when they was up on the roof:mad: and they both guys have bear in their pocket.

Hody wrote:
    Drinking booze while doing the install, you are joking, dont you?!

• Advertisement

wasim21k wrote:
    no i m not.
    not just drinking in van or something even when they was up on the roof:mad: and they both guys have bear in their pocket.

A bear on the roof, that sounds dangerous! ;)

Drinking beer during a installation ain´t very professional though

Advertisement