Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CLQR2 Crvena Zvesda Vs Cork City (1-0 1st leg)

• 02-08-2006 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Kick off 7.15 Irish time. Live on RTE2.

City are without Dan Murray, Danny Murphy, Joe gamble, George O Callaghan and John O Flynn (I'm assuming the latter as it is a safe bet). Now for any team to lose the spine of their team like that, it is always going to be an upward struggle. Im not too confident about this tonight, and am reckoning Red Star to win by 3 or 4 - 0.

Romantically, I think City will win 4-3 in a thriller go through on away goals, and face AC Milan next week in the San Siro.

I can dream.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

We can all dream! I hope Cork can do it, I pray that they can, but I can't see it. It'll be one of 2 outcomes if I'm honest about my gut feeling, a 0-0 draw, or a thumping - Please God I'm wrong! :) If Cork had a full team to pick from, I'd be optimistic - I just don't think your bench players are good enough to adequately replace the missing players. As I said, I'm praying you do it!

City for 2 hours! I'm City for 2 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Red Star didn't look th efittest last week and if Cork can get an early goal.....

btw, anyone have any idea on what day Fifa are ruling on Milans' participation in this seasons Big Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Verdict in 90 minutes on whether City will be playing for a place in the group stages:
    "AC Milan will find out on Wednesday at 1300 BST whether they can participate in this season's Champions League."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/5233430.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

So Cork could technically be going into tonights game playing for a place in the first round proper of the Champions League! Jaysus, c'mon Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    City for 2 hours! I'm City for 2 hours!
    I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm City for two hours!

It'd be fantastic if City went through tonight, but t's going to be really tough for them. Miracles can and do happen in football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Juan Pablo wrote:
    So Cork could technically be going into tonights game playing for a place in the first round proper of the Champions League! Jaysus, c'mon Cork!

Not really , Milan are a big club so they'll be allowed play in Europe .
    It is going to be a real struggle for Cork with the missing players and also the 1 away goal deficit .

Prediction: 2-1 Red Star , but I hope as most of us do that Cork can go through .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Does anyone know exectly what UEFA are deciding on as regards Milan.

AFAIK the Italian FA decided to let them into a Cl place so is it just whether UEFA are going to ban then on their own iniative??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

have a very sneaky suspicion that city will win tonight...

backed admir softic first goalscorer 25/1, then looking at the prices i put some more down

city to win 10/1, brian o'callaghan to score first 100/1, and admir to score first, city to win 2-1 500/1.. if that one comes off i'll buy everyone who's posted in this thread a jar! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

An early goal would obviously be great for Cork tonight, but likewise if they could go into the last 20 minutes without conceding, it might just happen. I just feel that Red Star showed enough in the first leg to suggest that they have better football in them, and I think they'll score in both halves. Red Star HT / FT at 8/13 is my bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Roar wrote:
    if that one comes off i'll buy everyone who's posted in this thread a jar! :D
    Really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

unfortunately i don't think city have much of a chance. i think it will be 3-1 on the night to belgrade. as someone said earlier, not conceding early is vital. even if it was 0-0 with 15/20 mins to play, that would give city a chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Milan will play in the Champions League:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/5233430.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I can see City struggling to contain these bigger more technical players and I can see a 3-0 scoreline.:( unfortunately.

If only we had out best team available:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cant see cork winning. Best they can hope for is a 1-0 lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Red Star are a much higher class than what Cork would be used to and it's showing in the first half hour. It's looking very comfortable for the Serbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

2-0 now

this is depressing :(

I don't mind cork losing as this was likely but I hope now that for the second half they can ditch the long ball.

They were always up against it but I'd love to see them try to play sdome good football. Couple of the defenders have had good touches, O'Callaghan markII especially but once it gets towards midfield it looks like Cork are playing with 5 or 6 players
    Searching my house for a pick up, anyone know if tequillia and malibu go well together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes it will, tequila will go well with anything, even that malibu muck.

Cork 3-0 down, game over, a consolation would have been nice but not to be it seems.

What does that do to the co-efficient does anybody know ?

While I wouldn't share Roddy's view of the world he made an excellent point in saying that a league winnning side should be looking to improve at the end of the season. Europe should fall into place with the League form.

We have lost; Doyle, Long, Kearney, O'Halloran, O'Callaghan.

We have brought in Vinny Sullivan, Cathal Lordan, Paul Connell, and Brian O'Callaghan.

So essentially we have gone backwards. We needed to strenghten. Rico made noises about eastern Europe etc. but it came to nothing.

Now I see Drogheda, Derry and Shels all with better squads than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think we're on a par with Derry and Drogs. But shels are a cut above everyone one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

We have lost;........... Long............ O'Callaghan.

Long sshmlong. He made 2 first team appearances. While he was potentially a loss, he never made an impact in the first team to be seen as so. It also could be argued that he only became the player he is due to Readings coaching and facilities. In short, stop using Long as a stick to beat Rico with.

And regarding Geroge, he hasn't left the club yet, no concrete offers have come in yet, so from what I see, he is still at the club.

Now, while I am less than pleased at Ricos transfer activity, he still has a good squad, which barring injuries and suspensions, will still be challeninging some the end of season.
    O'Halloran

You have been reading the ccfc forum too much. How is he a loss?

In his supposed place, we have more able players like Danny Murphy at left back, Neal Horgan at right back. Cillian Lordan at left/right/centre back and centre/right midfield. Blly Woods at left back/ left wing, and Brian O Callaghan at centre half. Then their is Admir. So Please tell me how Long and Greg are losses, because they are not? Fúck sake, we may as well blame the then Cobh chairman at the time for losing Roy Keane for their current predicament.

Fact is, City wrre beaten by a far superior team tonight. George would not have made a difference. Maybe if George, Joe and the two Daniels were palying it might, but the latter three were suspensions. Doyle is long gone, so he shouldnt even be brought into the equation. Yes, Rico should have had bolstered the squad, he hasn't....hopefully he will, he still can.

Support the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i think we're on a par with Derry and Drogs. But shels are a cut above everyone one.

Shels have the best 11 , Derry probably have the best strenght in depth .

Yes it will, tequila will go well with anything, even that malibu muck.

On this note I've invented a new cocktail which I'm calling 'The European knock-out'. It contains tequila, malibu and whatever juice is in the fridge

Yes it is muck but at least I didn't go near the Advocaat or Ouzo:D

gimmick wrote:
    Long sshmlong. He made 2 first team appearances. While he was potentially a loss, he never made an impact in the first team to be seen as so. It also could be argued that he only became the player he is due to Readings coaching and facilities. In short, stop using Long as a stick to beat Rico with.

He was recongised as a huge talent within the club.
    gimmick wrote:
    In his supposed place, we have more able players like Danny Murphy at left back, Neal Horgan at right back. Cillian Lordan at left/right/centre back and centre/right midfield. Blly Woods at left back/ left wing, and Brian O Callaghan at centre half. Then their is Admir. So Please tell me how Long and Greg are losses, because they are not?.

Greg has his knockers but hes a great player to come in off the bench. We are weaker than last season, thats the point Im making.
    gimmick wrote:
    Support the team.

Things like George makes supporting City painful ATM.

On the game, seeing the seam without John O'Flynn shot any hopes I had of an upset.

TAlking to a guy before the game and he said that if City put that team out against Longford at home and the bookies were giving 1/2 odds, that he would be slow to put money down and I agreed with him.

So what chance had we of getting a resuly against Red Star Belgrade.

RAtings
    Devine 6 Could do nothing about the goals.
    Horgan 6 Did well, bit unfair that he was marking the “freak”
    Bennett 7 Did well again, great interceptions and nearly scored too.
    O’Callaghan 6 What a debut game to play in. Looks like he will be a good player for us.
    Woods 5 Too often hit aimless balls up the pitch and struggles at this level.
    O’Donovan 6 Missed a great chance, and showed lack of concentration.
    Softic 7 Ran out out of legs in the second half, hopefully these games will be the makings of him
    O’Brien 7 Had a lot of interceptions, too often selected to go backwards rather than forwards.
    Lordan 6 Not a threat down the right.
    Fenn 6 Showed a few nice touches, but had no runners off him
    Behan 6 Should really have scored from the header, he is getting better though.

I wonder is Bastia for sale?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

What does that do to the co-efficient does anybody know ?
    Stays the same hope Drogs and Derry can prove Roddy wrong, thought a lot of his comments were unfair last night. If Carlisle had as many injury problems as Cork they would have been relegated by Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

patmac wrote:
    Stays the same hope Drogs and Derry can prove Roddy wrong, thought a lot of his comments were unfair last night. If Carlisle had as many injury problems as Cork they would have been relegated by Xmas.

I thought a lot of what he said was spot-on. You can't blame injuries if you don't replace the players that leave in the first place. A lot of us said it at the start of the season; why didn't Rico replace the players that left? The fact that he went signing players in the transfer window is an admission that he was wrong not to strengthen at the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Greg has his knockers but hes a great player to come in off the bench. We are weaker than last season, thats the point I'm making.
    Greg hasn't played a bad game for Shelbourne according to all my friends - granted I haven't seen him much, but in the recent games we've played he has come off the bence and been solid

Liam Kearney will be a big loss for ye. He has come back from his little hiatus and looks like the Liam Kearney ye had last season.

Advertisement