Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A healthy dogs coat?

Options
  • 02-08-2006 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I have been adding fish oil tablets to my dogs dinner at night to try to help their coats. The adults coat is excellent but the pup keeps developing a coarse line down the centre of her back. Every second day i switch the fish oil for an egg.

I have heard giving tea to a dog can help the coat, but I dont want to give caffine to an already mental puppy. I feed the dogs Red Mills, and they are brushed regularly. Can anyone offer any advice on keeping a good coat?

They are white long haired "Golden" Retrievers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You seem to be doing the right things already food-wise.
    How old is your pup? It might just be that it is developing its adult coat at the moment.

Most pups when they loose their puppy fur and start getting the adult coat look a bit disheveled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

i'd lay off the egg... pardon the pun! you dont want too much protein or cholesterol in your dogs diet, not good for them, but also star fruit oil is good and also a shampoo called dermocanis i think, not too sure of the spelling, but its good for skin and non perscription!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

jules80 wrote:
    i'd lay off the egg...

Always nice to hear....

Yeah I had wondered about that, will stick with the fish oil I'd say. I tried to wash her last week, washed and dried (with a towel) and within 30 seconds she was rolling in dirt. I think I'll just let her swim in the sea in future. You get used to the wet dog smell around the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

You have to give all things in moderation. The fish oil is no different in that regard. Young metabolisms like the one of the puppy could develop lifethreatening problems.

Got that off the net:

"Polyunsaturated n-3 fatty acids have been shown to inhibit the growth and metastasis of tumors. This double-blind, randomized study was designed to evaluate the hypothesis that polyunsaturated n-3 fatty acids can improve metabolic parameters, decrease chemical indices of inflammation, enhance quality of life, and extend disease free interval and survival time for dogs treated for lymphoblastic lymphoma with doxorubicin chemotherapy. METHODS: Thirty-two dogs with lymphoma were randomized to receive one of two diets supplemented with menhaden fish oil and arginine (experimental diet) or an otherwise identical diet supplemented with soybean oil (control diet). Diets were fed before and after remission was attained with up to five dosages of doxorubicin. Parameters examined included blood concentrations of glucose, lactic acid, and insulin in response to glucose and diet tolerance tests; alpha1 acid glycoprotein; tumor necrosis factor; interleukin-6; body weight; amino acid profiles; resting energy expenditure; disease free interval (DFI); survival time (ST); and clinical performance scores. RESULTS: Dogs fed the experimental diet had significantly (P < 0.05) higher mean serum levels of the n-3 fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid (C22:6) and eicosapentaenoic acid (C20:5) compared with controls. Higher serum levels of C22:6 and C20:5 were associated with lesser (P < 0.05) plasma lactic acid responses to intravenous glucose and diet tolerance testing. Increasing C22:6 levels were significantly (P < 0.05) associated with longer DFI and ST for dogs with Stage III lymphoma fed the experimental diet. CONCLUSIONS: Fatty acids of the n-3 series normalize elevated blood lactic acid in a dose-dependent manner, resulting in an increase in DFI and ST for dogs with lymphoma."

Lymphoma = cancer that begins in cells of the immune system

Don´t overdo it with fish oil.

If you stay away from tin food and feed healthy complete dry food for puppies the coat will turn out great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks, will do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

When you say you "groom her regularly" how regularly do you mean?
    Grooming her completely every day with a proper brush, will probably help more than you think.
    Pretty much any long haired breed should be given a good brush down daily (whether they look like they need it or not).

I had a old pomeranian and he was unbelievable, you would look at him and say "oh is'nt he gorgeous" (and he was *sigh),..... but every time I brushed him I realised there was tons of loose hair that if left another day would make the new hair stand up like he had been electrocuted lol ;)
    Ended up brushing him daily, made all the difference to his coat and skin conditionl. Added benefit was when he was at the vet or having a full haircut by a professional groomer, he was well used to being handled as with long haired dogs somtimes hair has to be cut to get at their actual bodies in the vet.

B

Advertisement