Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you service your car yourself?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Having worked in the motor trade for six years (and worked on cars since I could hold a spanner!:)), I do all own servicing.

I recently renewed the Timing Belt on my '03 Astra XE.
    (Serviced every 5k)

Astra in my garage getting a new cambelt kit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cameraguy

changed oil (Duchams QXR 10/40) and filter in my fiat brava today. it cost 26 euros for oil+filter from the local motor factor done in less than 20 min. big jobs i leve to an ex fiat mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

a fiat dealership will do a full service on a punto for about 280, maybe more now. M50 motors will do the same for 130. Obviously, parts that need changing need to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Silvera wrote:
    I recently renewed the Timing Belt on my '03 Astra XE.
    (Serviced every 5k)

Class ! I did the belt on my '5 recently too - changed the waterpump at the same time since it's behind the belt

http://mx5ireland.com/members/frank/Techday2006Apr30

Ridiculously easy on a rear-wheel-drive car once you remove the radiator out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Service my wife's Clio with the help of a Haynes manual (fluids, filters, plugs, cooling system, brakes, suspension, etc.). Currently trying to pluck up the courage to tackle the timing belt (on a driveway) - even though it doesn't really need doing. I'm hoping to hang onto the car when she changes so I can get stuck into heavier stuff.
    Once you have the right tools it's all pretty straightforward. Biggest problem with these old cars seems to be seized nuts/bolts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Max_Damage wrote:
    eBay have loads of them, depending on the car of course, got mine for my Micra of it. Cheap aswell.

Got one off ebay yesterday. e11.80 Incl postage!

Advertisement