Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SETI has found signs of alien life

• 02-08-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Fantastic article on TheRegister about allegations that SETI has found signals from alien life.

The "proof" behind these allegations....is that we haven't been told about the findings...they've been surpressed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting. Only a week or two I saw on CNNi, or read on Slashdot a small quote concerning SETI. They were saying that SETI are practically giving up their work and thinking about shutting down due to the pointlessness and futility of their exercise. I'm completely paraphrasing btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I'm an alien

so, ummmm

Howeye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Well, can't say we didn't see it coming. Or even allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

abetarrush wrote:
    I'm an alien

so, ummmm

Howeye

Alright bud, os de dory?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

So Glad wrote:
    Well, can't say we didn't see it coming. Or even allowed to.

So you believe that SETI have found something "out there"? I'm not saying that I think we are alone in the Universe because with all the planets and star systems etc. it would be a complete fluke if we were all alone. What I am saying is that SETI have only been at it for approx. 60 years at best and already they have discovered something - that's the bit that I find difficult to grasp.

Think about how large space is - I don't know how it would take to map the entire thing but it would be very lucky/unlucky (depending on your point of view) that, given our level of technology at present, we came across life "out there".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Maybe they found the home planet of the Reptilians and the Prince Charles had them shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Interesting discussions doing the round on ATS forums on this. Not too many Bonkeys on there, but based on the words of Seth Shostak and the lack of evidence for signals I also tend to be skeptical on the idea that they have discovered anything.

Interestingly, however, I am a little dubious about Seth Shostak having listened to him numerous times on coast to coast, and him pretty much admitting that they didn't have a procedure for disclosure should the event occur - but that they would probably run it by Nasa and the US Government first. Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pssssht! SETI has proberly latched onto a rebounded signal from Voyager 1 ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

mike65 wrote:
    Pssssht! SETI has proberly latched onto a rebounded signal from Voyager 1 ;)

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Kojak wrote:
    So you believe that SETI have found something "out there"? I'm not saying that I think we are alone in the Universe because with all the planets and star systems etc. it would be a complete fluke if we were all alone. What I am saying is that SETI have only been at it for approx. 60 years at best and already they have discovered something - that's the bit that I find difficult to grasp.

Think about how large space is - I don't know how it would take to map the entire thing but it would be very lucky/unlucky (depending on your point of view) that, given our level of technology at present, we came across life "out there".

Well, if you really comprehend how large the universe is, and its quite likely infinite considering the current evidence, then it cant be mapped obviously.

And also, consider that if there is life out there, why wouldnt it be abundant?
    Considering the absolute enormity of the universe from what we know of it, and we barely know anything of it, its more likely that if there is life, theres lots of it.

IMO, its quite likely that they have come across something, or lots of things, but its far more likely that the us air force and/or military has some much more interesting files to release (that they wont for the forseeable future obviously) on the matter.

I reckon SETI was allowed by the US military as they didnt think anything would come of it (its fairly primitive in fairness) and would keep the public happy. Even if something did come of it (which it seems now is possible), they can always just run the aul black marker over the juicy bits then release it in 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Oh yeh, and im not suggesting that I can personally imagine the size of the universe for one second, wether its infinite or not, my brain cannot yet grasp sizes of that multitude and i doubt anyone on this planet can at our current evolutional stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement