Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need an ID for this Butterlfy

• 02-08-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

http://static.flickr.com/64/204706220_121fe7de3b.jpg

Was in bog land, feeding on nectar from a blackberry bush and was two and a half inches from wing tip to wing tip.
    And if it's a red admiral I'll go nuts for not identifying it myself ;)
    Cheers all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Vireo

It's a Peacock butterfly. Nice shot too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yaaaaaaaaa, go me :D
    Cheers Vireo, I actually didn't know that was what it was called at all. I had just assumed I knew what it was called and had simply forgotten as I hadn't seen one in a while.
    I stuck the original one up Here.
    If you click all sizes (you might have to have an account to see the full size,tis free though) you should be able to see a lot more detail.
    Thanks once more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

It's a Peacock butterfly.

One of my favourites. Buddleia in our garden was smothered in them yesterday & red admirals and tortoiseshells too, plus a few cabbage whites. Had never seen so many butterflies at the one time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There appears to be more butterflys than usual this year. Or is this just my imagination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

could it be the dry weather?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

snorlax wrote:
    could it be the dry weather?

Could be.. but it's more than likely the fact (when I think about it) that I'm working outdoors for the first time in years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i'm seeing loads of the cabbage white butterflies around my garden and saw a tiny little blue one too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

just had to say Thats a beaut picture
    I must keep eye out for a peacock butterfly (don't know names of any, just would know a strange one if i saw one).

artieanna

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought they were called Vanessas...
    :confused:

Cheers Artieanna,
    I got a few more bugs and things over the last few weeks, having trouble identifying some of them, they're all up here on the front page of my Flickr
    Clicky Here for buggy goodness :)

• Advertisement

New Home wrote:
    I thought they were called Vanessas...
    :confused:
    The latin name for some species of butterfly begins with Vanessa, as in the Red Admiral is the Vanessa Atalanta.

Advertisement