Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diaphragm ?!

• 02-08-2006 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

hi all,

I am not too sure which form I sould put this in, so feel free to move it.

I am seriously thinking of going for this type of contraception but I am interested in getting people's opinions on it before I go to my Doc.

I have tried nearly every type of hormonal contraception but I always get bad reactions.

Can anybody who has used or is using this please give tell me your experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

Have you ever had a child? I am assuming not? Otherwise I would swear by the Mirena IUD.....but generally they only insert those into women who have been pregnant/given birth before due to the dilation of the cervix etc

I am not fan of the cap. I used to get losts of UTI's with it, and often I would forget to put it in, which in the heat of the moment is easy to do.

Depending on your circumstances I would speak to your doctor about the options!

SA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The Mirena IUD may not be suitible as it also contains the same horrmoans but it is a lesser ammout about 1/5 of the oral contraceptive pill.
    The Mirena IUD can be fitted to women that have not had children but it does mean a trip into a hospital for the proceedure.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/dcs.html
    How effective are barrier methods?
    Tests show that for every 100 women who use the diaphragm or cap very carefully and consistently two will get pregnant in a year. With less careful and consistent use, 2 to 15 will get pregnant. Spermicide must he used with the diaphragm and cap to make them effective. Spermicide on its own is not effective as a method of family planning.

Used in conjunction with condoms it is very effective. There is more information about the recamended use of it on the link above.

You HAVE to learn how to fit it properly and to remember to use the spermiside and care for it and check it and to make sure that if you loose or gain weight to get a dr to check it still fits properly.

Other then that it does have the advantage that it can be but in before sex for a long period and not interupt that much.

I've heard this is mostly used by married women who want to put off having a child but if they got pregnant it wouldnt be the end of the world
    with general human error I've heard it isnt a whole lot effective! with the spermacide and the insertion and all
    My mam got pregnant twice while using it within 3 years, and her friend got pregnant after using it 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I've heard this is mostly used by married women who want to put off having a child but if they got pregnant it wouldnt be the end of the world with general human error I've heard it isnt a whole lot effective! with the spermacide and the insertion and all
    My mam got pregnant twice while using it within 3 years, and her friend got pregnant after using it 6 years

I have taken into consideration that NO contraception is ever going to be 100% effective. I am at the stage in my life where, if I did get pregnant it wouldn't be a major crisis or catastrophe. I am in my late 20's and in a secure relationship.

I have considered the IUD, but really do not like the idea of "something" just left "in there" for around 5 years, I feel that it is just not right!! Plus all the hormonal changes/reactions...

To top it all off, I also get a reaction to condoms!! Its amazing I havent popped around 5 kids at this stage!! So that is why I was considering the diaphragm...

I will go to the doc's but just wanted to hear people's experiences with it first...

d-redser wrote:
    I have taken into consideration that NO contraception is ever going to be 100% effective. I am at the stage in my life where, if I did get pregnant it wouldn't be a major crisis or catastrophe. I am in my late 20's and in a secure relationship.

I have considered the IUD, but really do not like the idea of "something" just left "in there" for around 5 years, I feel that it is just not right!! Plus all the hormonal changes/reactions...

To top it all off, I also get a reaction to condoms!! Its amazing I havent popped around 5 kids at this stage!! So that is why I was considering the diaphragm...

I will go to the doc's but just wanted to hear people's experiences with it first...

I have the IUS and besides light cramping spotting every so often for the first few months its been brilliant! Insertion was a little painful though but I highly recommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Have you ever had a child? I am assuming not? Otherwise I would swear by the Mirena IUD.....but generally they only insert those into women who have been pregnant/given birth before due to the dilation of the cervix etc

This is true, they generally do not insert it into women who have not had a child, but there is no reason why not to really, it's just a little more painful to insert.

The way my doctor was talking I thought it was going to be hugely painful for me, she was trying to talk me out of it I'm sure, but I knew that it was the best form of birth control in terms of effectiveness and it's so convenient. It hurt for only about 10 seconds, and no more than an ear peircing. The pain went away immediately although it did feel like I had cramps for about 30 minutes afterwards.

I've had it for just over a year now, I'm 20 years old and like coolsmileygirl other than spotting at the start it was no problem! I even took a University final 3 hours after insertion!

As an added bonus, I no longer even get my monthly visitor, so my sex life as well as the lifespan of my panties has improved considerably. I love Mirena and I wish more doctors would propose it to young women especially, because it's a lower dose of hormones and there's no fumbling around to remember to take pills at the same time every day.

d-redser wrote:

have you tried the hypo-allergenic ones? "lambskin" condoms, and other non-latex condoms?

You should try to use condoms in accordance with your own contraception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

d-redser wrote:

When I was looking at getting the ius fitted ( there is a big difference between the ius and an iud http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html) that was an issues I had as well that a bit of plastic and metal was going to be inserted right up inside of me and left there and it was a alien concept and something I had to go have a long think about and how it would effect me and my engry and the impact on my personal spirituality.

but you had a heart condition and needed a pacemaker would you hesitate ?
    a hip replacement ?

Still the cap is not that hard to use once you get used to it and has been arround a very long time as a method of contraception.

Arm yourself with all the facts you can and then make an appointment with your dr and let him/her know it is for a contraception consult so that they can be prepared and spend a decent ammount of time talking to you, even better if your gp has a practic nurse for this tyep of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Thaedydal wrote:
    there is a big difference between the ius and an iud http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html)

Thanks for pointing that out, I never realised there were two different types!!

Advertisement