Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful stench coming from behind light switch!!

Options
  • 02-08-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Smells the same as a dead mouse under floorboards but its coming directly from light switch in wall.

I'm afraid to open it up!!! Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

An ex-mouse been chewing the wires behind the light switch maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

TheGooner wrote:
    Smells the same as a dead mouse under floorboards but its coming directly from light switch in wall.

I'm afraid to open it up!!! Any ideas?

id open it quick. its possibly a short and the smell is the melted copper from the wires. I had same recently wiht showe switch. Still dont know what happened..but had to replace the switch. ull know if its this, if u see evidence of burning. else the dead mouse will just fall out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

you may think the mouse story is not true but i had this in my kitchen and a mouse had actually climbed into the cooker mains switch and electrocuted himself - open it up and you'll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

if it is take a photo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BarneyMac

If a mouse has electrocuted itself on one of the terminals in the switch or chewed through the wire then the smell should go away after about 3 or 4 days, but you still need to open the switch to see if there's any damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

ok, i have plucked up the courage to open it after my dad comes home and we switch all the power off. There is a fly buzzing around the switch so i'll bet any money its a body of some sort!

I have the camera ready to go as long as I am not too repulsed to take a pic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I worked in a bakery once where we opened up a similar box and found two dead mice, there noses had met and they both got the thrill of their lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I'm putting the popcorn on now. :D

Can you do video?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

We used to get this terrible 'fishy' smell in our house. We only noticed it in the evenings and only some evenings (and never when we cooked fish!!!!!). Drove us mad. Sometimes it was near our hall door, other times it was in the landing etc. Turned out by accident I came up close and presonal with our Landing light bulb and found the smell was coming from the light fixture. Same for out Porch light.

A piece of the unit (that usually screws in to hold a lampshade in place) was going yellow and slowly buring which was giving that awful smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

TheGooner wrote:
    I have the camera ready to go as long as I am not too repulsed to take a pic! :D
    Can't wait! :D

• Advertisement

It was a very small mouse! As the fixture came away from the wall the stink hit us like a truck, as i moved to cover my face my Mam had it in the bin and everything, no pics I'm afraid and I will be damned if I am going to the bin!!!!

Thanks for all the help! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Come on TheGooner will you ever go home and open it up.

The suspense is killing

Come on TheGooner will you ever go home and open it up.

The suspense is killing

Ha Ha I did see above!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

hughm wrote:
    We used to get this terrible 'fishy' smell in our house. We only noticed it in the evenings and only some evenings (and never when we cooked fish!!!!!). Drove us mad. Sometimes it was near our hall door, other times it was in the landing etc. Turned out by accident I came up close and presonal with our Landing light bulb and found the smell was coming from the light fixture. Same for out Porch light.

A piece of the unit (that usually screws in to hold a lampshade in place) was going yellow and slowly buring which was giving that awful smell.
    The same thing happened in my parents house a while back - a horrible stench. It took a while to realise it was coming from the fitting. The house was also in D6W..............

I read down this thread looking forward to a few interesting pics!!! I'm so disappointed :D

crosstownk wrote:
    The same thing happened in my parents house a while back - a horrible stench. It took a while to realise it was coming from the fitting. The house was also in D6W..............

I read down this thread looking forward to a few interesting pics!!! I'm so disappointed :D

Sorry mate, couldn't hack it! My two year old neice was running around at the same time too and couldn't risk dropping it for her to shove into her gob or something less gross! Ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Ah man. No pics? I'll bet you were hiding behind the couch. Should have given the camera to your neice by the sounds of things.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I've mixed feelings about the end of this story. I'm both disappointed and somewhat relieved at the lack of photos!

This thread has been like an episode of Lost! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

I wonder how a mouse coroner would classify this death, suicide or death by mouseadventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Mouses Revenge

It could be worse! Article taken from America
    A mouse got its revenge against a homeowner who tried to dispose of it in a pile of burning leaves. The blazing creature ran back to the man’s house and set it on fire.

Luciano Mares, 81, of Fort Sumner said he caught the mouse inside his house and wanted to get rid of it.
    “I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house,” Mares said from a motel room Saturday.

Village Fire Chief Juan Chavez said the burning mouse ran to just beneath a window, and the flames spread up from there and throughout the house. No was hurt inside, but the home and everything in it was destroyed.

“I’ve seen numerous house fires,” village Fire Department Capt. Jim Lyssy said, “but nothing as unique as this one.”

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

to me it sounds like you need a new switch, the plastic on some electrrical switches has a horrible almost fishy smell when it heats up, its prob a cheapo switch, so get a better quality one from an electrical wholesales
    see www.kelliherselectrical.com for your nearest location. Ask for an MK, MEM or legrand make, if they offer you a different make say no and get a good one as there might be a heavy load on that switch
    Obviously it could be something else, but if its smelly and bizzing I'd saw a cheapo switch has packed it in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Stoner wrote:
    to me it sounds like you need a new switch, the plastic on some electrrical switches has a horrible almost fishy smell when it heats up, its prob a cheapo switch, so get a better quality one from an electrical wholesales
    see www.kelliherselectrical.com for your nearest location. Ask for an MK, MEM or legrand make, if they offer you a different make say no and get a good one as there might be a heavy load on that switch
    Obviously it could be something else, but if its smelly and bizzing I'd saw a cheapo switch has packed it in.
    I think we found out its a mouse :rolleyes:, although It could have been what you said as well.

Advertisement