Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

emailing a mobile phone

• 02-08-2006 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I came accross this short guide to emailing a mobile phone. Now i know it quotes american providers, but i figure it should be pretty much the same over here. So i shot off an email to my 10 digit mobile number at mms.mymeteor.ie (eg: 0851234567@mms.mymeteor.ie) and next thing i know i've recieved the message on the phone. lovely. except i can't open the message, because it's "corrupted".

now i've tried it a couple of times, text only, pictures only, both, and every time it comes up as a corrupted message. So i figure it's something to do with either the message type or the phone itself or the way meteor deliver it, maybe someone out there can clarify that.

The phone i'm using is a Sagem My x5-2, but has anyone else tried this out and got it to work, maybe with a different phone or network?

cheers

anto.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

ah but its not the same over here. Mobile operators in the US charge to receive (and send) a text messge. When you send from email to text in the US the person receiving the messages pays the bill. Here you are only charged if you send a text and as they can't bill an email account, sending from email to text outside the US (Mostly) is disabled.

The only difference is that with MMS the operators usually allow you to reply once to an mms - hence the mms.meteor.ie address. However this is tied to the actual mms message and only works once. Its the same deal on Vodafone as well.

Hey guys.

I came accross this short guide to emailing a mobile phone. Now i know it quotes american providers, but i figure it should be pretty much the same over here. So i shot off an email to my 10 digit mobile number at mms.mymeteor.ie (eg: 0851234567@mms.mymeteor.ie) and next thing i know i've recieved the message on the phone. lovely. except i can't open the message, because it's "corrupted".

now i've tried it a couple of times, text only, pictures only, both, and every time it comes up as a corrupted message. So i figure it's something to do with either the message type or the phone itself or the way meteor deliver it, maybe someone out there can clarify that.

The phone i'm using is a Sagem My x5-2, but has anyone else tried this out and got it to work, maybe with a different phone or network?

cheers

anto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

ok then, if thats true, i should only be able to get the message on the phone one time, or not at all, ya? except it recieves the full message, every time. it's just corrupted, and cannot be opened. or is my understanding of this still arseways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

its possible that Meteor don't even all the one time reply or that their implimentation of this features is hosed. The only way to try it is to send an mms from your phone to your email address (most phones have the ability to send mms via multimedia or email). Once you receive it then reply to the email and see if you get the text. If it works then try it again. I think the second time it won't work.

ok then, if thats true, i should only be able to get the message on the phone one time, or not at all, ya? except it recieves the full message, every time. it's just corrupted, and cannot be opened. or is my understanding of this still arseways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

well mms to email has never been a problem. when i reply though (email -> phone) it seems to get through every time, but i can never read the message.

At least it'll keep me entertained for a couple of days if nothing else! Cheers for the help!

Advertisement