Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton "Ad Blocker" causing problems...

Options
  • 02-08-2006 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a client that has been getting reports from their website users that they cannot see images on their website. This effectively makes the site inoperable as they are used for browsing and selecting listings of properties on display.

I decided to call to one of these people that were experiencing problems last week and it appears that Norton Anit Virus was set to "block ads" on the site, which basically removed the images. I turned the feature off on the individual pc and up came all the images. Everything was fine.

This is a pain in the arse to tell you the truth cause now more people are contacting with the same problem. An example of a page that this is happening is http://www.raymondpotterton.com/v2/listings.asp?cat=1 (all the property images do not display). You'll need to "block ads" using norton toolbar in IE to test it.

My question... as a developer, can I code anything to get around this problem?!?

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome!!

Rgds,

Dave

p.s. I f***ing HATE Norton!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Simple solution - maybe (change the image height and widths)

Probably long work-around - yes

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150144

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The problem is with Norton and not with the site. I doubt there is anything you can do to make the images display if Norton is incorrectly configured on a user's PC.

Serbian wrote:
    The problem is with Norton and not with the site. I doubt there is anything you can do to make the images display if Norton is incorrectly configured on a user's PC.

That is quite true - you really shouldnt be concered how external software other then the browser renders a site.

If that was the case you would have to perform miracles in your work arounds for every piece of software out that can potentially block part or all of a website.

I mean look at Firefox and all its plugins - so if a handful of their plugins screwed up your site, would you bother looking for a work-around? Personally I wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Ph3n0m wrote:
    That is quite true - you really shouldnt be concered how external software other then the browser renders a site.

If that was the case you would have to perform miracles in your work arounds for every piece of software out that can potentially block part or all of a website.

I mean look at Firefox and all its plugins - so if a handful of their plugins screwed up your site, would you bother looking for a work-around? Personally I wouldnt

That was my initial reaction but you know when dealing with some people, they expect you to have it sorted... and it is still you "fault". I was thinking of just putting up a help faq on the site with info about this problem, flash, etc. and if they get any other reports, they can point them to the help file.

Thanks for the input! :D

Rgds, Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 designdude

i feel for you dude, always tough with clients like that. really sweet site btw.

• Advertisement

unfortunately an faq is only a partial help - what happens when the client starts screaming at you to fix it?

You best bet is to explain exactly what the problem is, why it is happening and include that faq - that why you have all your bases covered - only problem will be if your client insists on being an ass about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

If he starts giving you crap about it, tell him to contact Norton's Customer Support ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Why do we have to be the victims of Norton?

We are tip-toeing around norton, trying to stop them from blocking images on our websites. I think Norton have done a major, unjust thing by attacking every website on the internet...especially to see that coming from a company that run anti-virus measures.

(*IMO!*), Norton are bots, like the bots that try to ruin webmasters with spam, except Norton ruins webmasters blocking images. Its time these people were proecuted and I'm sure what norton are doing, there is a law against it, they would surely be able to afford lawsuits.

Whichever Man/Woman takes up this lawsuit, they will have my 100% support....

Advertisement