Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic overflow

Options
  • 02-08-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

:confused: Does any of you diy experts know anything about the overflow in the attic it keeps leaking into the garden and I sent my poor dad up the other day to fix it but he says its a solid iron bar that he cant bend and there doesnt seem to be any other way to adjust it?? anyone have the same problem? I have seen a few overflow pipes leaking around so maybe this is a common prob. Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to new thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

we had that problem - simple soultion is to use the upstairs showers more;)
    really the other day it was bucketing out of the overflow pipe directly on to balcony so I ran all the taps and the showers upstairs for about 60 seconds and it stopped immediately. No problem since, just make sure if you put the switch on in the hot press to heat the water only, that you use it.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there must be a ballcock or something similar in the attic tank - this stops the tank from filling any further once it is full. If for some reason it doesn't stop filling then the excess water goes out the overflow pipe.

Ours started overflowing shortly after we moved in, one of the builders actually spotted it and came in to fix it. not sure what he did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

The same problem happened with the watertanks in the houses in the Wood.

Ballymore actually went around (pro-actively) and swapped all the floaters and that in the tanks due to the fact that a bracket had rusted and therefor the mechanism would stay slightly open.

This could be something similar in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

loyatemu wrote:
    there must be a ballcock or something similar in the attic tank - this stops the tank from filling any further once it is full. If for some reason it doesn't stop filling then the excess water goes out the overflow pipe.

there is a ballcock but the ball is on the end of an iron bar which ive been told looks like someone already tried to bend a bit so it would stop overflowing. Does anyone know though is there an actual nut or something that needs to be loosened to lower the ballcock. Surely bending it isnt the only way?? I will try the upstairs shower thing though.
    If i wasn't so terrified of spiders id get up there myself and have a look!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Does anyone know if this bracket is easily replaced? The plumber missed his appointment with us and just dropped a note in the door with a clip attached which he said to use.

I've not been up to look (being a bit lazy), but would assume it's easy enough to fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Yes the bar is too solid to bend but you sould be able to adjust where the ballcock sits on it, you can with the ones in the cisterns.

Have a good look at the ballcock and see the way it is attached to the iron bar. If you move it one way , right towards the end of the bar , it will shut off the valve earlier and should solve your overflow problem.

If you are single and fit I have no problem coming by and repairing it for you!!! Cute girls get an easier life.

Sorry Firstin, I am neither of the above!! :D thanks though!!You can still come round and fix it though cos the boyfriend wont stop moaning about it!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 propertysue

Looks like the problem is the angle of the float, I'm asumming your dad pulled the float out of the water and the water stopped flowing into the tank, if so the only way of stopping this is adjusting the angle which I did by bending it, can your dad remove it from the tank and then bend it, otherwise it will need to be replaced. If the water didn't stop flowing when the float is pulled up then there is something wrong with the valve that stops the water flowing into the tank, sorry can't be more helpfull

Thanks Sue im assuming he tried lifting it too! Ill have to ask him that He went up again three weeks ago and tried a few things with it but it only stopped flowing for about a week and a half and now its back again. Im thinking it may need to be replaced. Anyone know how much these things cost or where I would get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 propertysue

Hi Foxy
    They are only a few euro and you should be able to find one in your local DIY store

Is it really only a few euro??? I'm surprised. I must look into that. Do you know what I should ask for exactly and are they all a standard size? How easy or difficult is it to remve the old one do you know. Dad (aren't they great!) was up there again today and it's stopped again but I don't know for how long so it might be better to just get it replaced.

Advertisement