Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended books for 12-14 age group?

Options
  • 02-08-2006 12:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have to buy a book for a 12 year old girl and 14 year old boy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OK, ghost story type of book I enjoyed at 12 was Black Harvest by Ann Pilling. Look here for more info.

I read The Hobbit at 14 and quickly moved to The Lord of the Rings.

I know it's cheesy pulp but what about the Hardy Boys books by Franklin W. Dixon?

Harry Potter?
    Artemis Fowl?

A 14 year old would probably like Terry Pratchett. He does some Childrens stuff. The Wee Free Men was very good :)

Watership Down by Richard Adams is excellent.

There will be loads of other suggestions. Was there any genre you think they would like or dislike? Might help focus the answers a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think the Darren Shan series is excellent and would really suit that age group. Or maybe Adrian Mole if they like funny books.
    For the girl in particular, Witch Child and Pirates, both by Celia Rees, are extremely enjoyable books.

Definately agree with r3nu4l about Harry Potter, The Hobbit and Terry Pratchett. All excellent books suitable for that age group.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Having a male cousin who is near the boys age, I've found that they just eat up books like The Guinness Book of Records as it'd full of stuff they can come out with to their friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The Lord of the Rings, definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

14 Year Old Boy?

Buy him 'Rumble Fish' or 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton.

Or maybe if he's a mature lad 'I am the Cheese' by Robert Cormier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The narnia books
    The belgarid by david eddings
    Anything by Rohl Dhal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

phil pullman no? all the better at age 12.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

doonothing wrote:
    phil pullman no? all the better at age 12.
    Absolutely agree.

The perfect age to read His Dark Materials.
    (That, or 30... ;))

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

My daughter used to read the Goosebumps books at that age.
    Terry Prachett was a great favourite too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Goosebumps
    Discworld series
    Black Magician Trilogy
    His Dark Materials
    Harry Potter
    The Hobbit
    LOTR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Absolutely agree.

The perfect age to read His Dark Materials.
    (That, or 30... ;))

I also absolutely agree. The three books were my favourite books of all time. I plan to read them again some day.

Speaking of which, A Hollywood production is in the works starring Nicole Kidman as Ms. Coulter. I plan to boycott it. There is no way it could be as enjoyable as the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I remember my dad getting me a book when I was about 12 - the name escapes me know but it was something like the Collins Anthology of Literature for Children. It basically contained a couple of chapters from about 20 different books - I loved it and went on to read quite a few of the books in their entirety. Do they like reading at all? I always read a lot - by 12 I was splitting my time between Mills & Boon (several older sisters, there were always loads lying around), Sweet Valley High and lots of the classics. I remember around the time also getting a set of Bronte books which I loved too. Felt very grown-up to have a leather bound book.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I second all of these:

- The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings
    - Any Discworld books
    - Any Hardy Boys

and I recommend the following:

- The Secret Diary of Adrian Albert Mole
    - The Nights Dawn Trilogy (Sci Fi trilogy, each 1000 pages each)

... lots of sci fi actually... it will increase the imagination and when the fellow is older he may be more open to off the wall ideas ;) The last thing you want to be reading when you are young and impressionable is stuff that depresses you from over exposure to the real world. I remember reading something called "the God Squad" when I was young and it was depressing at that age. More info on that book here:

http://www.paddydoyle.com/

It details experiences with childabuse if I remember correctly....it was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Lord of the Flies for the fourteen year old and Good Night Mr. Tom for the twelve year old.

Advertisement