Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car electrical problems

Options
  • 02-08-2006 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

I'm having a few electrical problems with the new car,no dash lights,no brake lights, back heater doesn't work, no fogs, it's gone back today to be fixed but I expect a fight on my hands.The trouble is that being a taxi it has been fitted with a meter and roofsign and I fully expect the dealer to blame them for the trouble. They may well have caused the problem, I don't know, but I dont want to lose time and money by going from one to the other and both blaming each other. If the dealer says that it's the meter installers problem,am I in my rights to demand the dealer to give me in writing a full diagnostic on the problem, in other words to point out exactly where the problem is. TBH I expect them to spend a half hour looking, give up and play the blame game.If I have a diagnostic, I can go to the installer and say the problem is here, you caused it, fix it,otherwise I think I haven't a foot to stand on.I know that if the installer caused the problem,it's a dash out fix,(it took them a day to put the meter in) If all that fails,and I know I'm jumping ahead here, can I legally tell the dealer to stick the car and walk away, extreme I know,I'm just weighting up my options;)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did the problems surface soon after the new electrics were added?
    Ask whoever added the new electrics which part of the loom they hooked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It's not one of those dodgy Ssangyong Rodius things is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

kbannon wrote:
    Did the problems surface soon after the new electrics were added?
    Ask whoever added the new electrics which part of the loom they hooked into.
    No, a month after.I intend to if it goes back to the installer, in the mean time the dealer can have a go, I don't want to give him any idea's that I suspect it's the installers fault incase it isn't.
    FX Meister It's not one of those dodgy Ssangyong Rodius things is it?
    Why yes it is, how did you guess:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Did you check to see if there was any blown fuses?
    I have often found when people installing electrical items need power they just tap off any old 12V wire they find, without taking into account what it is they are actually tapping into (and the rating of the fuse on that circuit).
    Also they use them scotch connector yokes:mad: which tend to cause no end of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes,that was the initial problem doktor, kept blowing fuses.You may be right about the tapping off any old wire, my mate who is an auto sparks, showed me an earth that they had tapped into, when they could have earthed to the body which was about 6 inches away, lazy and shoddy work.

Just got a call from the dealer, as I guessed they say it's the installers fault, wired something the wrong way,and they have fixed it,€280, not warrentied, they have apparently documented everything they did.What do I do now, insist it is not my problem, refuse to pay them and let them bill the installer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The installer should be insured against this kind of thing, and to fit taxi gear they'd have to be fully legal, afaik.

Have a chat with him nicely first and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dubtom wrote:
    Yes,that was the initial problem doktor, kept blowing fuses.You may be right about the tapping off any old wire, my mate who is an auto sparks, showed me an earth that they had tapped into, when they could have earthed to the body which was about 6 inches away, lazy and shoddy work.

Just got a call from the dealer, as I guessed they say it's the installers fault, wired something the wrong way,and they have fixed it,€280, not warrentied, they have apparently documented everything they did.What do I do now, insist it is not my problem, refuse to pay them and let them bill the installer.

Talk to the installer - if he disagrees then get an independent engineer to asses the repairs. Tell the installer that you will be doing this and if the engineer agrees with the dealer then the bill to the installer will include the engineers fee which will be an extra €300 or so. Failing that its off to the small claims court and the cost will go up even more for the installer - you should be OK as you have the independent engineers report. Most decent engineers will attend court on the day - for a larger fee.

Advertisement