Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrade advise

• 02-08-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

At the moment i have a 32" Panasonic CRT with a 5.1 all in one surround system (Panasonic SCHT-900) had it about 3 years and its suits me well but by god i want more!!! with HD/PS3 i feel its getting near time to upgrade with my SSIA maturing early next year i'm looking to get myself some serious home cinema equipment.

42" inch plasma - Panasonic, Pioneer (assuming they sort out there image retention)
    Integrated AV Amp & Receiver - denon, harmon Kardon etc
    Speakers of some sort (perhaps even use my Panasonic Tallboys if they cut the mustard)

basically was wondering if anyone had any advise on what sort of set up to go for in the 3/4 grand market....and any equipment thats highly rated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you spend any decent money on an amp, your panasonic speakers will be the weak link. I'd definitely recommend you thing about some new speakers as well.

There is another thread going aout 5.1 speakers and an amp. Check it out, there is some info in there

I have B&W DM603's as fronts, and the LCR600 as a center, powered by a Denon 3803. That combo alone would almost blow your budget before you even look at a tv, and you've no sub or surround in there yet. I love the B&W Line, you could get a nice set of the 300 series, which cost less and it would sound great.

For amps, denon are my personal favorite, The 380x series are a real powerhosue, but the 2807 can be had for a lot less and is probably where i would look.

in TV's, well i think Samsung are the pick of the bunch right now, i think they have a great line, and good value.

Hope that helps I have all of the above with the exception of the TV ( you couldn't buy my tv, unless you move to the USA:) ) and am happy out with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

panasonic have two great HD plasma's at the moment the PV60 (PX60 in uk)and the PV600 (PX600 in uk). both are available in 42" with the PV600 being the better set (better sound, sd card reader and PIP etc..), retailing for €3200. the PV60 is €2700 but available cheaper in the right places! the PV60 is perfect with only people with huge budgets going for the PV600.

I second mossyn on the Denon 380x and 280x amps and would also recommend the Pioneer AX4AVi amp. on speakers, B&W are fantastic, but maybe a little too dear. You should look at Jamo, they have some great quality speakers at very good prices as well.

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭jones

Thanks lads good advise!! the budget is a bit restraining considering the price of decent equipment these days...might try stretch it a bit but shush dont tell the missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Would there be a problem getting the PX600 instead of the PV600?

I'm aware it's got the DVB digital tuner for Freeview in the UK, but would it not be sufficient for the launch of digital testing here as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

Aside from freeview tuner, the PX600 will only tune in UHF channels. Ireland needs the UHF/VHF tuner. Thats the differences. I don't know if the UK freeview tuner will work with the Irish freeview testing, whenever that happens...

moe

• Advertisement
Advertisement