Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Techno - Where do you go?

• 02-08-2006 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

I've been listening to the techno for the last few years after "upgrading" from house and progressive!! I dont DJ but i'm really into the tunes and listen to lots of dj sets etc.

However, where do fellow techno heads go to get their fix! I went to see Ignition Technician on Friday in the vaults. He was amazing but there was no-one there!!! Surely there has to be more than just handful of people who listen to techno and go the clubnights or is there some secret hidden venue where they all go!! Ben Sims in Temple Bar Music Centrea few months back was barely half full also!

I know the dance scene has a major lull in general but still!

I'd just like to get some feedback on this, what are peoples thoughts etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I go to Electric City every Thursday in Wax, check it out at www.electricity-dublin.com

I was in TBMC on Friday, it was empty too unfortunately but there are plenty of gigs comign up around Dublin. Technotic in Fraisers Friday week (11th Aug) and EC every Thursday in Wax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Hello,
    I am a massive Techno/Electro fan and have been for quite a while. Since I have a *proper* job going out on a school night is out of the question for me so its a pity as I miss the amazing ElectricCity nights... defo best in Dublin.
    I used to go out on weekends but those nights are no good anymore (TBMC etc) as they are just empty...
    So for now for me the best techno nights are me in my bedroom playing decks ;-)
    If I ever have a friday of work though, defo ElectricCity is the place with the best acts/support acts playing... lots of local irish talent too...

-Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

Electric City for sure, but it doesnt play what the more full on techno - it tends to be more electro oriented.

I want to see the likes of Dave the Drummer, Chris Liebing...the list goes on - basically the real heavyweights of the genre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Havent heard any pounding stuff in a while meself, even Chris Liebing is gone all minimal nowadays.....

try Fraziers where Bambaata was talking bout, I believe fridays have a bit of full on stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Or just go to the festivals in europe...

Even with flights they tend to work out cheaper than any in ireland..

Awakenings in belgium is the one I go to .. I Love Techno in Belgium is good but a lot more commercial/wishy washy if you ask me

Also there is just so much more happening over on the mainland.. been to berlin a bit recently.. great for a weekend and lost of techno with loads of choice as its so popular over there...

-A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Sorry that's got to be one of the most stupid things ive ever heard after "upgrading" from House and Progressive what do you think it is an airline seat or an occupation or something dear me.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

aloleary wrote:
    Or just go to the festivals in europe...

Even with flights they tend to work out cheaper than any in ireland..

Awakenings in belgium is the one I go to .. I Love Techno in Belgium is good but a lot more commercial/wishy washy if you ask me

Also there is just so much more happening over on the mainland.. been to berlin a bit recently.. great for a weekend and lost of techno with loads of choice as its so popular over there...

-A

Forgot Sonar there Al. Would love to go to Nature 1 in Germany as well actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Minimal techno is boring and sends me to sleep,technoheads are geeks in Ireland and too serious about the music,i used to hang around with a load of them,probably still like that now:rolleyes:

I'm not particulary into techno much thesedays but after seeing Carl Cox and Laurent Garnier last week in Ibiza some of it is top class,what about this belter from Garnier :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDrluBAOpOc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

jonny68 wrote:
    Sorry that's got to be one of the most stupid things ive ever heard after "upgrading" from House and Progressive what do you think it is an airline seat or an occupation or something dear me.....:rolleyes:

hey, no need to be picking on me! i was just trying to think of a humourous way to describe my change in tastes....and as i work in IT and software and i thought it appropiate!!! that's all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

jonny68 wrote:
    chillax man dont take everything so literally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

The best techno night out I've had in a while was when i went to see Plaid play in the music centre a few weeks back. There was enough people there, not packed mind you but still the place was full. I know Plaid can be quite laid back sometimes, but they were pretty consistent, kind of somewhere in the middle that night. Then Giles Armstrong from electric city played after them, some sweet heavy, dirty techno! Got me going!:D

Aloleary is right about the festivals in Europe though. I'm going to VooV next friday. Three day psy trance festival for 40 euro! You can't go wrong! They have some of the best laser shows in the world at VooV. A few mates of mine went to Melt there a while back, they said it was amazing to!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Electric City for sure, but it doesnt play what the more full on techno - it tends to be more electro oriented.

I want to see the likes of Dave the Drummer, Chris Liebing...the list goes on - basically the real heavyweights of the genre!!
    i wudnt really say it has gone Electro orientated. EC goes between stuff, most nights end hard enough. Also with the variety of guests it changes from week to week. Keep an eye out at the website it has now or sign up for its newsletters and ull get word of whats coming up (You can sign up on their site i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

Electric City have had their fair share of techno guys over. Surgeon, Ben Sims, Richie Hawtin, Deetron, Christian Smith etc. They've got Green Velvet playing in the TBMC on the 25th of August.

I agree that techno gigs aren't always very well attended, but apart from Electric City some other ones that I've been to and are pretty good were Technotic in Fraisers (next one is on Friday the 11th of August, mostly local guys playing but a real proper rave atmosphere), Test at The Life Bar (monthly also, next one is on Saturday the 26th of August, I'm playing there!), Junction also do a monthly spot in The Life Bar, I think their next gig is on the 19th of August.

As for people bringing over big guests, well there is regular stuff on at The Vaults, Letrik are bringing Oliver Ho over on the 15th of September, unfortunately the other rooms will have trance and prog house, so I'd stick to the techno room in that case myself.

Middleware bring over guests to the TBMC every so often, the last one I was at was The Advent a few months ago, keep an eye on the listings part of http://www.clubbing-ie.com so see if they have anymore stuff coming up.

U:mack has one of the dons of techno, LFO, coming over to the TBMC on the 4th of November, that'll probably be pretty mental. It'll be his first Irish appearance.

Hmmmm, can't think of any other ones right now. Oh yeah, I have to say I've never liked Chris Liebing. I saw him in the TBMC two years ago and it was one of the dullest techno gigs I've ever been too, it sounded like he was playing the same overdriven 4/4 loop for three hours, I also remember him playing his own godawful remix of that White Stripes song. Holy Jesus, that was some bad music. What was I thinking?

I like the harder end of the techno spectrum (as well as all the other ends) as long as it's intelligent and weird, like Surgeon, Regis, some of those newer James Ruskin 12s on Blueprint are pretty good. Anyway, I'm going on a but, hope you end up going to at least some of those nights mentioned above!

Advertisement