Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't Spam, its the Law!

Options
  • 02-08-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so obviously there is a lot of tension over this 'spam' issue so I though this thread would help clear it up and decide once and for all what 'spam' actually is so posters cant give out and mods won't take flax.
    Heres a definition that I'm sure one of the mods would find endearing:

A new thread will not be spam if it is posted with the intention of adding to the forum in line with the forum's aims,goals and scope. This includes any thread that seeks to aid or inform the general, usual and expected viewers of the forum, including posters new and established.

A reply will not be spam if it seeks to add to, or further the discussion as outlined by the orginal post. Any additional, new or amending information or details posted must be of a quality expected by an outside reader of the thread's title and/or original post. Any unexpected information should be of a quality that would be reasonably wanted or desired by someone opening the thread or reading the orignal post.

A poster may not post information that is not evident or explainable from the post therein, unless such explanation can be obtained by a reasonable knowledge of the history of the forum's content, and/or if it can be explained by a reasonable knowledge of the subject of the forum itself.

A post will be spam if it is posted witout purpose and and/or without regard to the above.

A thread and its post may deviate away the orginal title and/or post to a degree unanticipated by the original starter if the posts have been made in line with the above guidelines.

Yeah...I was bored in college.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Sangre wrote:
    A new thread will not be spam if it is posted with the intention of adding to the forum in line with the forum's aims,goals and scope. This includes any thread that seeks to aid or inform the general, usual and expected viewers of the forum, including posters new and established.
    what about thread which are not intended to inform or aid? threads meant to entertain are surely the cornerstone or these forums.

threads to make us laugh and cry and yet leave us as ill informed as we were proir to reading them. if reading this forum is going to be a purely factual experience, it will suck the proverbials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

ferdi wrote:
    what about thread which are not intended to inform or aid? threads meant to entertain are surely the cornerstone or these forums.

threads to make us laugh and cry and yet leave us as ill informed as we were proir to reading them. if reading this forum is going to be a purely factual experience, it will suck the proverbials.

seconded, threads are not spam if they are related to ucd whether or not they are informative imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Sangre wrote:

Read the words in bold especially bear in mind the forum's scope aka UCD.To be serious I'm not going to spam any more on the UCD forum and that will be proved in the now and the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

ferdi wrote:

Well I would consider one of them aims/goals of this forum is to entertain the UCD masses and just have a laugh. So if its a funny thread involving certain posters or involving Ucd academic/social life etc., thats all good. But if its just a joke or random 'look at this flash' thread then it belongs in AH or humour.

For example the 'sex in disabled toilets', that wasn't informative or anything but I'd classify it under the goals/aims of UCD, that is, talking about UCD and what goes on there.

I'm not at all trying to limit the banter/chat on the forum, I just want to ensure that it isn't a requisite to be an establish poster to 'get the joke' or whatever.

Note;
    When I said 'this includes informative' threads I meant that as in addition to any UCD threads but not in relation to UCD per se. For example if someone heard a great deal on student loans or a really cheap nightclub. It isn't strictly related to UCD but its something a lot of UCD students would like to know, so its informing them.

p.s. i have no problem ameding orginal to clarify it more to people, if they like the overall message it gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

you used to be fun

• Advertisement

Don't blame me, blame the combination of being in the library on your own, studying law and being bored.
    Maybe ferdi will keep me company in the library...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Don't use the "don't push me, push your push pop" excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Ever think you might be taking this internet forum business a little too far? Like seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

seriousbusiness.jpg

scop wrote:
    Ever think you might be taking this internet forum business a little too far? Like seriously.
    You think this is all some big kind game? Are serious? This is fúcking important and has to be sorted out.

Ucd is one of the busiest forums. FACT.
    Ucd is one of the spammiest forums. FACT
    Ucd is one of the hardest forums to mod. FACT

You know what that means? It means we need to cop ourselves on and sort this problem out before they just lock the forum and delete it. They've done to many forums before that have just become too much hassle. Is that what you want? Yeah, the forum was locked, ha ha, big joke!

You might be too fúcking 'cool' to care about this but I've been posting on this place since it was started and I don't want a post happy bunch of people getting the place shut down.

The only way to solve this without people constantly moaning about why there were banned is to set the rules out, cold and hard, without room for deviation or leeway.

If you think this is all a game you need to grow up and join the real world!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I don't see how spamming on ucd forum interferes with boards.ie as a whole or with the expansion/shrinking of the universe. That mod guy seems like a fruitloop but I can see sangre's point and his post is quite well written. I was always of the opinion traffic >>>> content but who am I to judge.

Think of it this way. Every body enjoys driving down a motorway, zipping along, enjoying the scenary. Its ok even when there are loads of cars around, you get to wave at everyone and can enjoy women flashing truckers. But what happens when more and more keeps on piling off the slip road? BAM! You got yourself a freaking traffic jam! Slow, smoggy and just plain hot in the cars with only the tins of spam in your glove compartment to eat.
    Nobody enjoys that.

Come on guys, we need to sort out this dilemma ASAP. If you think this is fun and games well just GET LOST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Sangre wrote:
    You think this is all some big kind game? Are serious? This is fúcking important and has to be sorted out.

Ucd is one of the busiest forums. FACT.
    Ucd is one of the spammiest forums. FACT
    Ucd is one of the hardest forums to mod. FACT

You know what that means? It means we need to cop ourselves on and sort this problem out before they just lock the forum and delete it. They've done to many forums before that have just become too much hassle. Is that what you want? Yeah, the forum was locked, ha ha, big joke!

You might be too fúcking 'cool' to care about this but I've been posting on this place since it was started and I don't want a post happy bunch of people getting the place shut down.

The only way to solve this without people constantly moaning about why there were banned is to set the rules out, cold and hard, without room for deviation or leeway.

If you think this is all a game you need to grow up and join the real world!

The sad thing is its next to impossible to gauge if this is ironic or not :p

Stop bringing the thread off topic. Either engage in the discussion or leave.

I'm going to assume he embodying truckles signature; Our defense against this sort of thing is not, in my opinion, to run away from being "censored" but to run joyfully into the arms of their censorship. Covered in poo.
    Not that i disagree with what he said but putting it in that quasi-legal form is a bit "mad" and all together too serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

humbert wrote:
    ]Not that i disagree with what he said but putting it in that quasi-legal form is a bit "mad" and all together too serious.

I think it's safe to say that sangre is doing what sangre does best...taking the piss and, as always, getting away with it.

*shrug*

I think it's safe to say that sangre is doing what sangre does best...taking the piss and, as always, getting away with it.

*shrug*

you're right but it would be a duller place without him:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I fully agree with all the sentiments expressed in this thread except the spammy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

sangre, sounds to me like you've got full blown Library Fever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I am Seb. FACT

I am also a Bum. FACT

Writing things in capital letters just to make a facetious point is exceptionally irritating.

FACT

• Advertisement

Seb points out the obvious too much. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I demand that Seb be banned for such blatantly off topic posting. Spam!!! SPAMMMM!!! ;)

If you're not taking the mick Sangre, which I largely suspect you are, well, you know yourself. They sell looser underwear everywhere. It's not a big investment. :p

I think a valid point was made by whoever said that people who come here with serious questions get those questions answered, regardless of how much messing is being done in other topics. Ok, so people got out of hand, and nobody disputed that. I have yet to see anyone (other than the OP of the offending topic that brought things to a head) complain publicly about the fact that they were banned.

This is, after all, only the internet. Maybe some people need to lighten up and others need to cop on. But at the end of the day, as long as nobody is being personally abused, as long as people are receiving answers to their questions etc. then I can't see the problem with moderate fun - not a free-for-all that makes problems for everyone, but lets be realistic, this forum is about a place that unites us, not a common interest. As such it's a lot harder to stay on topic in general, because something that could be a part of UCD very integrally for one, or five, or 10 people might mean nothing to the rest. It doesn't make it any less relevant to those limited users though.

Gah, I'm tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Blush_01 wrote:
    They sell looser underwear everywhere. It's not a big investment. :p

He already has 100 pairs.......FACT!!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Blush_01 wrote:
    I demand that Seb be banned for such blatantly off topic posting. Spam!!! SPAMMMM!!! ;)

If you're not taking the mick Sangre, which I largely suspect you are, well, you know yourself. They sell looser underwear everywhere. It's not a big investment. :p

I think a valid point was made by whoever said that people who come here with serious questions get those questions answered, regardless of how much messing is being done in other topics. Ok, so people got out of hand, and nobody disputed that. I have yet to see anyone (other than the OP of the offending topic that brought things to a head) complain publicly about the fact that they were banned.

This is, after all, only the internet. Maybe some people need to lighten up and others need to cop on. But at the end of the day, as long as nobody is being personally abused, as long as people are receiving answers to their questions etc. then I can't see the problem with moderate fun - not a free-for-all that makes problems for everyone, but lets be realistic, this forum is about a place that unites us, not a common interest. As such it's a lot harder to stay on topic in general, because something that could be a part of UCD very integrally for one, or five, or 10 people might mean nothing to the rest. It doesn't make it any less relevant to those limited users though.

Gah, I'm tired.
    I agree.

Advertisement